Can you run 12V heater on a 60V battery pack?

cheez

100 mW
I am planning to get a DC heater and run it off a 60V battery pack I just built. It's a 12V 25,000 btu heater. See this link - Maradyne H-803012 Phoenix 12V Universal Wall/Floor Mount 25,000 BTU Heater

Would the battery fry the internal electronics of this heater for good or it won't fry and will only draw what it needs from the battery pack?
Or do I need to run the negative wire through the 5V line of say an ebike controller instead of connecting directly to the battery's negative terminal?

Last edited:
Would the battery fry the internal electronics of this heater
Yes.

And even if it didn't, based on your understanding of electricity, how long do you think you would have been able to run a 25k BTU heater on your battery?

I am planning to get a DC heater and run it off a 60V battery pack I just built. It's a 12V 25,000 btu heater. See this link - Maradyne H-803012 Phoenix 12V Universal Wall/Floor Mount 25,000 BTU Heater

Would the battery fry the internal electronics of this heater for good or it won't fry and will only draw what it needs from the battery pack?
Or do I need to run the negative wire through the 5V line of say an ebike controller instead of connecting directly to the battery's negative terminal?

I highly recommend you go to this website
and go thru their tutorials--they should help you learn what you need to not destroy things or start electrical fires, and better understand the things you're working with.

For now, some basic info to help you figure this out, along with consequences of doing it the ways you're talking about:

You have a 12v device you want to power....you need to use a 12v source to power it. Not all "12v" is the same--if it's automotive 12v, then that's actually 13.6-14.4V.

Running 60v thru the 5v line of anything is a great way to destroy that.

Running the 60v's ground thru the 5v line of a controller, to then power a very high current device, is probably going to start a fire.

How many amps does the heater take? The link doesn't say, so a quick google search for a conversion to a unit we can use, like watts,
says
25000 BTU/hr7326.77675 Watts

To get amps from W and V (the only data we have), is W / V = A
7327W / 12V = 610.583A We'll just call that 611A as a guesstimate to use for calculations. You would need to get hold of it's specs or manual to find out what *actual* current it takes, and what it's *actual* input voltage range is.

How many amps could the controller you want to run the ground thru handle? Most of them use a 7805 regulator, which by itself could probably handle a few hundred mA (thousandths of an amp), so less than 1A. I imagine the plastic and silicon of the 7805 would actually explode at 611A.

How many amps can your wiring handle? Most of the grounds are 24g, maybe 20g at the largest. I doubt they can handle more than an amp or few themselves, enclosed in their wiring bundles, before they heat up enough to melt insulation. 611A will probably melt the actual conductor in the wires, hopefully before the insulation catches fire.

How many amps can your battery supply?

Since no info about the battery was given, then for some math to see what is required, let's say it's made from brand new P42 "molicel" cells, which are pretty good at high current.
Assuming you run them at their max 45A current (which will shorten their life and make them hot and have a lot of voltage sag), then to supply 611A would need 611 / 45 = 13.58, or 14 (since you can only use whole numbers for this), parallel cells in each group. Since it's a 12v device, and these are 4.2v cells, you can probalby only use 3s, if it's tolerant of voltages up to 16.8v then you can use 4s.

Let's assume it's not, so 3s 14p *minimum* battery size with those cells. Since that is 14p of cells that each have 4.2Ah capacity, that's 4.2 x 14 = 58.8Ah--you probably can't actully get the full capacity at that current rate, so let's generously round down to 50Ah, and to find out hte run time it's the 50Ah capacity divided by the 611A load, which is 50 / 611 = 0.08hours, or less than 5 minutes of runtime.

If you need to run this for several hours at a time (typical usage for heaters), let's say it's intermittent usage at 50% duty cycle over 12 hours, that's 6 hours of actual runtime required. It would need 6 x 60minutes = 360 minutes of runtime. If 14p is less than 5 minutes of runtime, then to get 360 you need 360 / 4.8 = 75 times the amount of capacity you have now. So you would need, for 6 hours of continuous runtime, 75 x 50Ah, or 3750Ah. for these cells, that's 75 x 14, or 1050 cells in parallel...times three of those in series, or 3150 cells total.

That makes it about half the size of a common Tesla car battery....

That's assuming also that hte heater will still run down near the 9v or so the cells will be at when near empty. If it's a simple filiament heater with no electronics, it will, just not as hot. If it's got electronics, then you have to check the specifications for it's shutoff voltage. It might be higher and that will mean you have less usable capacity so you have to increase the size of the battery pack to compensate.

This also assumes all your interconnects between cells, and your wiring, and interconnect welds/etc to the cells, can all handle the necessary currents.

What kind of protection does the battery have? Can that protection handle the heater current? If it has a typical BMS, it would need to be large and expensive to handle 611A, usually a contactor BMS.

If there is no protection to stop overdischarge, etc., then the battery itself could become a catastrophic type of heater, igniting and burning the pack, heater, room/etc., and contents. Not usually desirable.

Yes.

And even if it didn't, based on your understanding of electricity, how long do you think you would have been able to run a 25k BTU heater on your battery?
Electronics or internals... SAME THING!
Ok I too realized that 25,000 btu on this 12V heater seems odd..
It does have 3 speed setting though, speed 1 might work. Ok forget this heater.

Response to amberwolf,
You can run the negative through 5V line of the controller and connect to 60V, 80V, or even higher, to power a 5V device like an USB port, USB speakers, lights, a little bitty fan, etc. Some 5V USB port doesn't work if you connect both posiyive and negative to the controller...not enough voltage. The 5V light gets a little brighter too.

cheez

If you are grounding a different power source (60v, etc) thru the 5v regulator of the controller, you're forcing current thru that regulator *and all other 5v parts including the MCU, halls, PAS, throttle, etc* that none of those parts are designed to handle. This is what makes your 5v light that's running off that same 5v line get brighter--it is being overvoltage and damaged, just like all the other parts connected to that 5v including the 5v source itself.

The only reason to wire a separate voltage source's negative to any other votlage source's positive (wiring them in series) is to get a higher voltage. This *only* works properly if both sources are capable of the same amount of current, and the load on the resulting higher voltage is *less* than the current the sources can handle.

If it happens to be working for you for now, good--but you are damaging all the 5v parts involved in the ground path for your high voltage source, and they will have a shorter lifespan and possibly behave in ways you don't want (more likely the longer this goes on).

It is a MUCH better idea to just use a higher voltage source to start with, so if you need 65v instead of 60v, use a 65v source. Or 85v instead of 80v, etc.

If you're grounding a 60v or 80v source to the 5v line to run 5v devices off the 60v or 80v source, well, that is just going to destroy the 5v devices you power with 60v or 80v. So don't do that--it won't work.

If it *is* working, then you are NOT wiring it the way you think you are, or it would have already destroyed the devices.

I still highly recommend you visit the site I linked and learn how this stuff really works. It will help you understand what you are doing, and make it less likely to damage or destroy things unintentionally, and make it easier to communicate what you are doing to others, because you'll be using the same terminology and understand what they are telling you, as well.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 3.48.21 PM.png
This is not an electric heater.
I suspect That the 60W is the fan motor only. Note the 5/8" fittings which would be for water line from an ICE cooling system. Core material as in heater core. On Other product pages The water lines are visible.
Later floyd

12V 25,000 btu heater.
On the off chance, does your use case permit wearing heated vest, etc. instead of using a space heater?

If you are grounding a different power source (60v, etc) thru the 5v regulator of the controller, you're forcing current thru that regulator *and all other 5v parts including the MCU, halls, PAS, throttle, etc* that none of those parts are designed to handle. This is what makes your 5v light that's running off that same 5v line get brighter--it is being overvoltage and damaged, just like all the other parts connected to that 5v including the 5v source itself.

If it happens to be working for you for now, good--but you are damaging all the 5v parts involved in the ground path for your high voltage source, and they will have a shorter lifespan and possibly behave in ways you don't want (more likely the longer this goes on).

If you're grounding a 60v or 80v source to the 5v line to run 5v devices off the 60v or 80v source, well, that is just going to destroy the 5v devices you power with 60v or 80v. So don't do that--it won't work.
I have total of 6 USB ports (4 standard cheap Chinese 2A 5V USB port, and 2 ebike throttle display that has USB port) that have been connected to my 60V battery pack or my 60+V solar panel power source with negative ground to the ebike controller for 8 months or so....without a single problem. I power my phones, a small Samsung wireless charger, a 5V fan, lights, and a little set of USB speakers. My battery pack is 8P, so it is 30A x 8 = 240A capable.. If it is really problematic my tiny USB devices would've been cooked by now...;)

What that means is that the negative wire isn't carrying something to harm those devices.

I still have more testing to do in the future... to hook up a bigger device that is 12V or 24V, connecting wires in the same manner. Hoping to try out a little fridge.

cheez

From your success you must not actually be wiring things the way you said you were. If you were applying 60v to 5v devices, which is what your previous wording implies, then they would have been destroyed, and quite possibly started fires.

So what you must have is a 60v to USB (5v) *converter* that is powering those devices, and that is completely different than powering them from 60v.

Similarly, if you are grounding a 60v power source thru a positive wire of a 5v power source it doesn't matter what your battery can handle. It only matters what the current path thru the devices powered by the 5v, plus the 5v itself, can handle. It also matters for the voltage tolerances of the parts, as the extra current flow thru them caused by using them as a ground will raise the voltage on them, and if they can't handle that (which normally they can't do more than 5% or so higher, sometimes as much as 25% higher), that will also damage them.

If you would be precise in your statements (and especially if you would create and post accurate diagrams for your wiring) it would help a lot for people to understand you. If you're unwilling to do that, there's not much point in your posting things for others to read--you're only going to make them think that they can do things that will just destroy stuff and start fires, making you dangerous enough to not allow you to post here anymore.

Note that I am not trying to be confrontational, or argumentative, I am trying to help you clarify things, and make sure that neither you nor anyone following your actions or advice have problems because of it (especially catastrophic ones).

Last edited:

I've done a similar xperiment w/ 60V battery to power a 12V 100W LED panel
U need to use a step-down / buck dc-dc converter 60V to 12V

for your app requirements 5A 60W, soo maybe a min 100W step-down dc/dc module would work fine
60W, is it really a heatear?? :unsure:

Last edited:
Back