Can you use soft timing to reduce Kv on a sensored RC?

Kin

10 kW
If you are a tl;dr person, skip to section tl;dr

As a technical note I understand that it's possible to increase the timing signals a controller gives in order to boost the RPM. I've ready a fair bit about that on ES with the hub motors and geared motors.

I'm wondering if there's any such thing as using soft timing to decrease the effective Kv of a RC motor with halls mod.

Context:
I intend on in the next few months modify CAD drawings for an aluminum frame e-kickscooter scooter, waterjet cut it (at first I was going to have to figure out how to use the CNCs at my school, which I dont yet know how and have many other things to learn as well, but bigbluesaws.com has very reasonable waterjetcutting costs).
I'm going to run Turnigy SK3 6374 150kv motor, and hopefully have figured out a drivebelt system by then (backup option = chain drive).
I intend on gearing to approximately 26-27mph top.
***Here's the catch***
I'd like to try and run this sensored, at a relatively low ~4k rpm, with a Lyen's controller for reliability and relatively easy settings tweaking. Lyen recently recommended a certain make of his 12Fet controller. For a few reasons- in part, cost and also in major part size, I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can run his 9 Fet instead. Certain modifications can make it possible to put in a decently high (40-60a) current through the 9Fet controller.
Concerns:
---Max RPM
------>I understand because ebike controllers are not designed for RC Motors they might lose sync at the high rpms. By accident, since I want to limit RPM to limit high-pitched sound, I'm hoping that this won't be a problem.
---Current This is finally the point of my entire post here
-------> Originally I intended the motor to be running on 6s. With some RC controller supplying 40 amps continuous, 65amps peak, I reasoned that I could get exactly the sort of power I wanted out of the motors. Eventually I realized I wanted to use an ebike controller, and halls sensors, and suddenly my high current small size options plunged. I realize that I can deal with a RPM compromise by increasing my arbitrary personal limit on the running RPM, and set up the system for 9s. Now rather than needing 40amps to 65amps I'd only need 26 amps 45 amp burst. This makes it much more reasonable I think in the realm of ebike controllers. Now, finally, I'm here to ask if there's any way to reduce the effective Kv with 'soft timing' on the controller, and what the effects of that would be. Perhaps I could go up to 10s (somewhat more convenient) if soft timing is possible. I dont know. I've spent countless hours reading away, and don't really know a tenth of what's actually going on (perhaps my obsessive-state should have kicked in later, about 9 months down the line, when I'll have finished my more substantial Electromagnetic physics (E&M) course). This is not to say that a lot hasn't cleared up. I have a much clearer sense of whats happening, it's just that a lot is happening.

Recently I've had alot of questions about RC motors answered for me here, on a few seperate threads, so when I finally get this all down (in so far as completing a build) I'll try to compile everything to a single thread. I've tried my best to use the search functions (and google "site:Endless-sphere.com + query") but there remain a lot of questions that have only been answered when I just straight up and asked.

tl;dr
I'm here to ask if there's any way to reduce the effective Kv with 'soft timing' on the controller, and what the effects of that would be. [In the sense, I assume it would increase torque but I'm not sure how it would affect efficiency].
Context: I'm trying to minimize the total rpm of a 6374 150kv SK3 build, while still getting to the point I can deliver 600-800 continuous 1400w peak on 9 Fet Ebike controller.

very generalised answer - you can speed up an electric motor by field weakening - reduce the magnetic field & the motor will spin faster with less torque.
Unfortunately you can't reduce kV by field strengthening, because the field strength is limited by the saturation properties of the laminations.
"field weakening" in a brushless motor is arranged by having the field from the stator windings oppose the permanent field fronm the magnets - this is done by timing

Your very generalized answer cleared up a decent amount about how it worked. I somehow thought timing meant just switching the magnetic pulses more frequently; now have general idea that it also involves weakening them (which would make sense to reduce the backwards emf that ends up limiting rpm).

Since I think increasing current is a form of field strengthening (it would strengthen the induced magnetic fields right?) I don't really see how that falls in line with the RPM situation, since clearly increasing current doesn't decrease Kv, but I am comfortable leaving this up in the air until I learn some more solid E&M concepts.

Thanks alot Bob for clearing the immediate question.

it's faraday's law, volts = rate of change of magnetic flux linkage. This is the back emf in any electrical machine. A motor's speed limit is when the back emf = the applied voltage. With no amps (no load) just by spinning the motor you will generate a certain back emf at a certain speed. at higher speeds you need more volts because the instantaneous back emf is proportional to the rate of change of flux as the windings cut through the flux - note this is maximised between the poles where the flux is in fact near zero. Torque is generated by Force = Bil maximised at the magnetic poles where B is maximum. So for torque production the current must be 90degrees out of phase with the back emf. But you can control the relationship between volts and amps to alter the flux magnitude and generate a degree of field weakening by tinkering withthe timing. Mostly we have too many rpm already and not enough torque so we stick below base speed & don't bother with field weakening. This gives us best efficiency as all the amps are used for producing torque, none used for messing with the magnetic fields in the motor.

Kin said:
while still getting to the point I can deliver 600-800 continuous 1400w peak on 9 Fet Ebike controller.

There is no reason why this can not be achieved with a 6 fet controller .

gwhy! said:
Kin said:
while still getting to the point I can deliver 600-800 continuous 1400w peak on 9 Fet Ebike controller.

Hmm...Well, uh, so one of my issues has been not finding a high enough amperage 6fet controller (and one that can also deal with the RC motor's 5.5k RPMS [I dont know the number of stators so honestly I guess the number "5.5k" doesnt mean much). Besides Lyen (who I do not think has the kind of controller I'm talking about), is there any place you know where I can get a 6fet ebike controller that can deal with higher 60ah current (even if it requires me modding a little bit)?

I chose 9fet somewhat arbitrarily. I dont know what a single fet can deal with. I happen to already have a 9Fet Lyens for an ebike project I'm still working on, so thats why I just chose that as a base.

Kin said:
gwhy! said:
Kin said:

Hmm...Well, uh, so one of my issues has been not finding a high enough amperage 6fet controller (and one that can also deal with the RC motor's 5.5k RPMS [I dont know the number of stators so honestly I guess the number "5.5k" doesnt mean much). Besides Lyen (who I do not think has the kind of controller I'm talking about), is there any place you know where I can get a 6fet ebike controller that can deal with higher 60ah current (even if it requires me modding a little bit)?

I chose 9fet somewhat arbitrarily. I dont know what a single fet can deal with. I happen to already have a 9Fet Lyens for an ebike project I'm still working on, so thats why I just chose that as a base.

it the standard fets are replaced with better fets irfb3077 and upgrade the wires there is no reason why you should not be able to push 85A through a 6fet . I do :D

Thanks Gwhy!,

Looking at mouser.com and a few places it might just end up costing me $30 to pick up 6 irfb3077 Fets. That does take away some of the incentive for putting together a 6Fet one (since my cost will be $30 + 6Fet controller cost), but what I might do is (I have some time before I finish the rest of the project) keep my eye out in WTB and used forum to pick up a 6fet controller. Perhaps from there I can upgrade it.

Back