Charge your electric car in .... 10 minutes!

Doctorbass

100 GW
Watch this video and just hear the hum noise from the power supply... Hmmmm Juice!!!! :shock:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rcbx57Azisw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

In the second video, the guis explain that it is a 18000Wh Alternano battery... doing some maths that mean the charger deliver at least
18000 / (1/6) = 108 000W of power!!! let say 500A on a 220V outlet! :shock:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrzEt1uBRJ8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

Doc

omg .. i want his battery pack and charger lol

Yep, hat's what the future will look like. The current battereis we use can be charged in about 15 minutes. That's realistic for a "gas station" set-up. It will only get better.

Wait till somebody smart figures out that to fill up an electric car, it takes ten minutes or so. Then whilst the customers are waiting, they can visit their store and possibly after 10 minutes of boredom, they will buy something else from the station owner. Captive audience.

Someone else will build a kiosk for charging in say a parking lot, by renting a space. Or the lot owner will add a couple himself.

yeah but people don't like swapping the battery pack, esp as it makes the pack an unknown.

Im actually concerned about something different!

people who live under high voltage powerlines seem to develop cancer faster than ones who don't - if we're fast charging our cars could there be danger of electromagnetic radiation from that?

thats a HECK of a lot of power to be transferring that fast

I'm pretty sure a lot more power is carried over HV transmission lines than into that car. Transmission lines are at 500,000v and those people are exposed to it all day long. Here it is 10 minutes 300v, I don't expect much of a risk.

It gets trickier if you're an emergency services person... how you gonna know if a crashed car's chassis is packin 500V while there's somebody stuck inside?

:?

The battery and wiring of an EV should be no more dangerous than a gas tank and gas lines. If the car designers aren't idiots, the main battery will be fully isolated from the chassis with a way to detect a single short to the chassis. With an Isolated battery pack two shorts, wire breaks, chewed off insulation sections, etc are needed to deliver a shock. Still, a single short to the chassis indicates trouble and should be fixed immediately.

Now what happens if somone cuts the main power wires with the jaws of life? (assuming a fuse in the battery, + and - wires right next to each other) I'd expect a LARGE initial spark followed by a fuse in the battery blowing. The car is now safe, just don't cut open the battery pack... For even more safety, a normally open contacter could be fitted to each battery power wire as it exits the battery box. Hit a tree? BMS drops out the contactors and requires a special command to re-enable. Heck it could even have arc fault detection and cut power if a connection was faulty.

Marty

Our local Roads Corporation has addressed this situation already!
LPG powered cars require an LPG sticker to be placed on the registration plates.
Same now applies to hybrid cars like the Prius.
needs a sticker on the rego plate to alert emergency crews of the presence of higher voltages.

Hybrid Vehicle Identification stickers
From 2 April 2007 it is a legal requirement for all hybrid powered vehicles to display number plate stickers identifying the vehicle as a hybrid.

The State Government has introduced a new hybrid vehicle identification sticker to improve safety for emergency service workers following concerns about electric currents continuing to run through hybrid vehicles after an accident. The new identification stickers will ensure emergency service workers are aware of the type of vehicle they are dealing with before commencing rescue operations.

The sticker must be conspicuously attached to the vehicle's front and rear number plates, similar to where LPG labels are currently placed.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is a hybrid vehicle?
It is a vehicle powered by a petrol and electric engine. Examples of hybrid vehicles include:

- Toyota Prius
- Lexus 450 GSH
- Lexus RX 400H
- Honda Civic Hybrid

2. Why are hybrid vehicle identification stickers being introduced?
The State Government has introduced a new hybrid vehicle identification sticker to improve safety for emergency service workers following concerns about electric currents continuing to run through hybrid vehicles after an accident.

The new identification stickers will ensure emergency service workers are aware of the type of vehicle they are dealing with before commencing rescue operations.

3. Who needs to get hybrid vehicle identification stickers?
All operators of Victorian registered hybrid powered vehicles.

4. When do I need to have stickers on my vehicle?
From 2 April 2007 it will be a legal requirement for all hybrid powered vehicles to display number plate stickers identifying the vehicle as a hybrid.

5. Will I be fined if I don't have stickers on my vehicle?
If you fail to display hybrid identification stickers you will be in breach of the standards of registration. You may be issued with a defect notice or could be faced with a fine of up to five penalty units. In 2007-08, one penalty unit is $110.12.

6. How do I get a sticker?
Stickers can be purchased for $1.00 a pair at VicRoads Customer Service Centres.

7. Where do I attach the stickers on my vehicle?
The stickers must be attached conspicuously to the vehicle's front and rear number plates. For example:

8. What does the sticker look like?
The stickers are diamond shaped with a dark green background and white lettering displaying the word 'HYBRID'.

It gets trickier if you're an emergency services person... how you gonna know if a crashed car's chassis is packin 500V while there's somebody stuck inside?

:lol: just as dangerous as a crashed car that was powered by a volatile liquid with high energy density!

One reason for me to stick with a 24V/240Wh pack on a (40 pound) vehicle where that's enough power-- the pack just isn't capable of creating any really good fireworks.

Back