Charger connection for Luna's Samsung 29e battery

The job of we consumers is to provide the supplier with feedback on a product, this includes finding ways to screw up the product that may seem highly unlikely to the supplier! Today I was hanging my battery bag off and on the airplane, cogitating over how and where to hang it. At one point (and here is the unlikely part, but it happened) a scrap of aluminum on the workbench made ever so brief contact with the XT-60 plug coming out of the battery for connection to the charger. The charger input cables flopped over just right when I set it down, highly unlikely but it happened . No real drama, just more then enough (small) spark to get my attention, no harm done near as I can tell, (one of the plugs got slightly eroded, but there is more then enough left for the 3 amps I'll be running through it) except.....though the voltmeter wasn't plugged in at the time, it no longer works. Hopefully the BMS was not damaged. Earlier, in fact the very first time I eyeballed the battery after receiving it, I checked out the main output wire's XT-90 plug ends, and as expected they are arranged so that the "innie" is the hot and the "outie" is the fitting going to the motor. Meaning that when packing the battery around you are not going to short it out accidentally. I assumed the same for the charger input, my bad. While the ends aren't really an outie they are, as I find out, MUCH more easily capable of being shorted. Though they don't protrude past the plastic end, there is NO plastic divider between the - and + plug ends.

So, if a small metallic item gets in there :shock: Looking at the end that came with my recently purchased charger from Luna, it's end is much more protected, call it the innie, with a plastic divider, in other words, a much more protective screw up proof way to make these connection would be to swap the XT-60 ends, have the charger be more exposed as it were, (so what, it's fused and is only 3 or 5 amps) instead of the charger cabling going direct to the battery (and here I need to admit I have no idea if there is a fuse in there, maybe I blew it and that's why the voltmeter doesn't work anymore, beats me, I'll ask Luna tomorrow). Like I said, highly unlikely that someone would do what I did, but I can't see any reason why swapping the plugs around would NOT make a more idiot proof setup. Anytime something can be made better with no expense or weight gain, it's worth bringing attention to it. I work with very large batteries often, I'm talking 1200 lb. (and up) off grid solar deep cycle cells, so I feel especially chagrined that I let this happen, I just assumed it was more idiot proof then it was, like the XT-90 main ends are, I'll be interested to hear why mine was setup the way it was. If I had received the XT-60 ends separate/uninstalled, there is no question I would have wired them different then Luna did. Having some additional non conductive protection for the ends is obvious, but hardly needed with a change of the connector ends.

Attachments

• bike4 003.jpg
    bike4 003.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 947
I make dummy plugs out of spare connectors for this reason.
So it has a fake plug, filled with liquid electrical tape to plug the empty plugs when they are not used.

I'll add a pic

P.S. you are supposed to connect the charger while unplugged for the spark issue....then plug in the charger ;)

I don't understand your last comment re: the charger plug in procedure? This happened with nothing plugged in. as I was setting it down on the work bench.

Yes, your extra ends will work fine, swapping the ends outs would provide nearly the same protection. I'll be moving my battery around much more then most, being as it's on a folder going in the airplane, and I'd like to keep the parts count and various steps down to a minimum, but what the heck I may go for a belt AND suspenders in this regard:swap the ends, and have extra dead ends to double protect it.

I really like this battery, let me make that perfectly clear, in fact the entire setup I got from Luna is exceeding my expectations, quiet, fast, gutty, and easy to install for this E-bike first timer. I can't wait to get it on level pavement, single digit temps down in the valley make keeping it up on the mountain (and above the inversion) and our low 20's preferable!

CPG, thanks for the info, and my battery has the same connectors so I'll keep them covered when it isn't being charged. Any resolution?

2old said:
CPG, thanks for the info, and my battery has the same connectors so I'll keep them covered when it isn't being charged. Any resolution?
Reverse them and suggest the builder do that. I don't have a connector to see but understand what the pilot is saying. I turn my Dolphin pack off when not riding. Done, no problem. With any connector.

I'll just swap the ends, putting the much more protected end on the hot lead going to the battery. Easy enough, I'm still not sure why the voltmeter doesn't work though, as it wasn't plugged in when the brief short happened.

I'm still not sure why the voltmeter doesn't work though, as it wasn't plugged in when the brief short happened.

I've been watching this thread and I agree that the more protected end would be better on the battery side of the connection but I have an anecdote about the short/wattmeter situation that may help.

I have been doing a build over the summer and using a temporary battery to get by until the triangle battery I ordered from expedition in china arrived. When it finally got here and I was fitting it to the frame I wanted to make the leads longer for ease of hooking it up. When I was fitting new Andersons to the leads I mistakenly did both sides at once and had the above mentioned brief short. Well crap you can imagine waiting months for an expensive battery and doing such a doofus move before even trying it out, oh man. I then plugged in the wattmeter and no function at all, so did I blow the bms? internal fuse?, at this point I'm stuck and need to fess up to my ebike guy David. He's pretty nice about it, and says bring it over and we'll see. We unwrapped it a bit to see if there was any burnt up bits inside, nothing weird but it was put together really well, he says leave it here and we'll see. When I get a call back he says he called expedition in china and right away they said if that happened to just plug it in to the charger, ( it was fully charged when this happened), and it will reset itself, he plugged it in and voila it worked. Then when I brought it home the wattmeter worked again also. I've been using it a bunch lately and all seems good.

The short version is if you plug it in to the charger it may reset something inside and the watt meter will work on it then, worth a try.

CPG, they aren't called accidents because we planned them; we've all been there or somewhere close by.

Back