Did I just nuke three bbshd controllers?

1. Last Sat I fried my bbshd controller. I wasn't going fast but it smelled of burnt sulfur and so I assumed the worst.

2. Yesterday I bought a brand spankin' controller off a friend who had an extra. Connected it up and got the error 10, which indicates that the temperature sensor was tripped earlier. I used the firmware update workaround but after it took the display wouldn't turn on. When I first connected power, via the anderson cables, there was a healthy spark. But after the fix, no spark at all even though the line reads a normal voltage (54v). This makes me think something inside got blown because a full circuit can't be completed.

3. On Monday I ordered a luna barebones system (motor + controller) to ensure something wasn't bad with the motor. It arrived today. Diligently I connected everything up. As before, first a spark, but when I tried the display (two displays actually--I have a backup) it wouldn't turn on. Now when I try to reconnect power there's again no spark.

Did I just ruin three controllers in a week? Please, what might be wrong or how could I isolate the issue? I'm at a complete loss and my livelihood depends on having a working bike.

If the system overheated, it may have damaged the motor windings. (dull or darkened color can indicate this; normally they may look like bright copper).

If the windings are damaged enough to be shorted, they may have damaged the FETs in the controller.

If the FETs are damaged in the right way, they'll short across the battery terminals.

Similar things can happen if the phase wiring was damaged and shorted especially if it shorted to any of the control or sensor wiring (overheating can melt insulation and cause that).

Any pics of the insides of the system, especially the motor core and the wiring?

Unlkely to be the problem, but it's happened to some people: are your battery wires on a polarized connector to the controller? If not, is it possible they were reversed trying out the second and third controllers?

I have two bbshds. I haven't taken the old bbshd#1 off the bike yet because I need one of those luna wrenches (which should get here tomorrow.) I can't figure out how to get to see the motor core without taking it off the bike.

But motor #2 should be just fine since it's brand new. So after the second controller failed on bbshd#1, I tried connecting bbshd#2 to my bike without installing it to the bike. That makes me think maybe there's a voltage issue coming from my battery or that there's a short somewhere else. But why would bbshd#1 work with controller#2 until I got rid of the error 10 message? Somehow, clearing that error opened something up so it could destroy itself. I don't get it at all.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to test for power inside the controller section of bbshd#1 to see where inside the problem might be. I'm trying to figure out how to get something back from the phase connectors. Don't know if that would help but I don't really know what to do to try and isolate or figure out where the problem might be coming from now.

Back