Ebike battery powered Ryobi 40v lawn tools?

RC_Sparky

1 µW
(Kind of a reverse question to what most are asking with ebikes and tool batteries):

I have 3x 48v ebike batteries and I just got a couple 40v ryobi lawn tools. The ryobi batteries are quite expensive ~$200 for a 40v 6ah, and I remembered that I have 3x 48v 12AH ebike batteries!

I am trying to find a way to determine how to power the ryobi tools with them. The hurdles that come to mind:
1. Voltage difference (48v within operating range? Or need to step down to 40v?)
2. Amp draw compatibility?
3. Physically adapting the connection

Has anybody done this?

Attachments

• 20230601_090419.jpg
    20230601_090419.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230601_090438.jpg
    20230601_090438.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230601_090451.jpg
    20230601_090451.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 0
4. Extra weight
5. securing the battery

Unless you invested in entire Ryobi collection, I would look for something more affordable. I use Greenworks 40v for everything and batteries are half the cost of Ryobi.

4. Extra weight
5. securing the battery

Unless you invested in entire Ryobi collection, I would look for something more affordable. I use Greenworks 40v for everything and batteries are half the cost of Ryobi.
I checked out other brands, but I like the constant expansion of compatible tools that ryobi offers, and home depot has an easy exchange and return process.

As far as weight and securing the batteries, I was thinking about a backpack with a cord that can reach to the tool for the non-mower tools, and securing it to the mower somehow when mowing

It would be hard to power ryobi tools with your batteries as the tools and the tools batteries are consumer goods, backed by big corp (Ryobi), sold at big corp (Home Depot) so they want to keep their brand intact with no stories on the news.

There would be a communication protocol between the tool and the battery, including temp sensors, anything out of the ordinary and it wont work, it shuts itself down. Some brands will brick the battery if the battery is too far out of whack/balance.

You could use your batteries to run certain 120v-ac tools that arent quite as electronic oriented like the dc tools are.

for sure you would have to match voltage and use Ryobi BMS ...
would it be better to try to replace cells in the pack?
for sure there is info about it on Internet
I know you already have matching voltage pack

Back