Ebikeling 48v 1500w controller > motor cable melted climbing hills 2days and 100miles into 10day 500mile trip. Help me fix this, and beef it up?

phj

10 µW
I’m pretty sure a big portion of the issue was weight distribution with my trailer this afternoon which I’m addressing, however I still have a controller and motor with a melted cable to fix so I can hopefully complete the remaining 8 days of this tour I scheduled.

I have everything needed to complete an electrical repair except the knowledge of what to do beyond splicing the cable to fix the issue. I’d like to give this part of the system some additional robustness since the fuses didn’t blow before the controller input. The next time it fails I want it to be in the hub motor not the controller or wiring between 😆

Any suggestions for beefing this up other than giving it larger gauge wiring all the way to the hub motor? Looks like the blue wire was the angriest of all and the one that left it’s pin in the opposite connector…

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpeg
    IMG_2220.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2213.jpeg
    IMG_2213.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2231.jpeg
    IMG_2231.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2230.jpeg
    IMG_2230.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2232.jpeg
    IMG_2232.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2227.jpeg
    IMG_2227.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2229.jpeg
    IMG_2229.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2224.jpeg
    IMG_2224.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2225.jpeg
    IMG_2225.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2223.jpeg
    IMG_2223.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2222.jpeg
    IMG_2222.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2221.jpeg
    IMG_2221.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
As it melted at the plug that would lead one to believe that you had high contact resistance at that pin on the connector. The fix would be to replace the connector.
The problem of bigger wires is fishing them into the hub.

Reactions: phj
I would use whatever you have to connect the hall sensors. For the phase wires, I would use MT60 connectors. One important question to ask is, are these wires exposed to the elements? I wouldn't want to have an MT60 exposed. Maybe soldering the wires and wrapping them up to keep them dry would be better for your setup? Also, shortening the phase wires as much as you can will reduce the wire resistance and the current will have easier flow. Less resistance is less heat.

Easy fix if its just the connector. It might have been a counterfeit connector. This is why some people cut the crappy generic connectors off, they are the first fault to look at even if they look fine. Those phase wires are so small (guessing 14awg?), resistance is higher in small diameter wire (higher gauge) so length wouldnt matter too much unless its very excessive, an extra foot I dont think would matter much for low power systems. As an example I am known to wrap excessive throttle wires around the handle bars and frame to save time in doing it the right way just to get riding.

You might have popped a fet, I'd snip the bad wire off and hard wire it asap to see if its still operational rather then grabbing a meter to check each fet. You could have also overloaded the connector with to much power, the solder joints of the connector could have been very bad and hidden from view.

I was looking for the issue in the pics of the controller pcb. If that would have been your case, then I would have looked at routing of the phase wires from the pcb to the exit at the case, or looked at a pcb component failure that cause the component to overheat that might have had a wire touching it.

Overlapping phase wires for example, just like inside a hub, you dont want them overlapping, you want them far apart because they heat up with all those amps.

That connector, is small. The pins of the connector are close together. If the connector took a hard hit, could have crushed the casing of the connector forcing the phase pins of the connector to touch. Overheat and pop fet.

I have used those, unplugging them and plugging them in for a flat, that same style of connector had the housing misformed from not properly disconnecting both sides in a uniform manner. Think about when your riding and your tired, maybe cold and maybe you disconnect the connector a little off a few too many times. Then it could have taken a hit from the bike falling, or getting hit by a rock or tree. Could be anything. Replace with good connectors like XT's, PP's, rc 4mm+ barrels, molex for low power stuff (I have never seen high power molex at my local store, I wanted to try molex for 50a.) you can even hard wire the connections if you need it done asap. Just dont hard wire the battery ;) If you hard wire the phases, make enough slack to replace a flat, not much is needed. I talk about hubs.

Another possible failure if it was inside the controller was a phase was touching a hot fet. You ever feel your controller after a big hill? Touch the backing plate side of the outside of the controller where the fets mount to. Some controllers have an extra piece of metal in there, with that white dielectric I assume it is. I had one where I loosened the fet bolts to fix cap and a pc of metal fell into the controller case, it was hard to get it back in place.

Those are just some other scenerios that could have occured, but a bad connector is a bad connector. And that connector is not stout, might feel stout to your fingers. I know in tools they reinforce the plastics with glass fiber for strength, that costs a lot extra money. I highly doubt they used good quality plastic for the housing.

Another thing I hated about those connectors is trying align the marks to connect them together. The arrow is small and black, the housing is black. End up twisting it around in frustration shoving them together and the pins catching and deforming as you twist to connect it.

Last edited:
Well, here’s the ghetto fix of the cable for now.

Kinda surprised the power wires to the motor in this cable are 16 awg…

Blue cable (which melted) broke so I had to splice a section of wire in. Didn’t quite get t he length on that one right so it’s got a little bend.

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpeg
    IMG_2240.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2238.jpeg
    IMG_2238.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2237.jpeg
    IMG_2237.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2236.jpeg
    IMG_2236.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2241.gif
    IMG_2241.gif
    78.3 KB · Views: 20
Good job! :bigthumb:

Now, to wonder why the connector melted. I run the same kit, often in continuous heavy rain conditions (no choice). I have never seen it get overly hot during extended high-load pulls but will pay closer attention to it now. Seems reasonably water-resistant but I have noticed it can be difficult to get it reconnected seated all the way "home." Maybe that's what happened on yours? Either that or possibly some dirt got in or possibly was a manufacturing defect?

Back