El Niño in the newz. Again.

Hopefully not as bad as the New year storm was in Sacrameto county and California last year.
Later floyd

I'ts likely that Wed and Thursday and possibly Friday I will find out how well one of my newer water-proofing things and my new front tire work in the rain on my work commutes--from a quarter-inch to half an inch, up to half an inch to an inch of rain are predicted those days, with "higher amounts possible in local thunderstorms".

2.5" here since yesterday. Still coming down. Another heavy wave is forecast for tonight into tomorrow morning. The ground isn't saturated yet, so not too much runoff.

Last edited:
Lot of sprinkles this morning, but nothing more than just barely wetting everything down, then cleared up enough to dry out by the time i got off work. Clouds are closing up again now though.

Good chance of more rain tonight and tomorrow, clearing up daytime thursday, then a really good soaking the next couple days at least.

TonightPartly cloudy in the evening, then mostly cloudy with a chance of showers after midnight. Lows 53 to 58. Northeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.
WednesdayMostly cloudy with a chance of showers in the morning, then partly sunny in the afternoon. Highs 70 to 75. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Wednesday NightMostly clear in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows 48 to 54. East wind 5 to 10 mph.
ThursdayPartly sunny. Highs 71 to 76. East wind 5 to 10 mph.
Thursday NightPartly cloudy in the evening, then mostly cloudy with a chance of showers after midnight. Lows 52 to 57. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Rainfall around a tenth of an inch.
FridayShowers and a slight chance of thunderstorms. Cooler. Highs 61 to 66. Chance of rain near 100 percent. Rainfall up to three quarters of an inch possible, except locally higher in thunderstorms.
Friday NightShowers and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening, then a chance of showers after midnight. Lows 49 to 54. Chance of rain near 100 percent. Rainfall between a quarter and a half of an inch possible, except locally higher in thunderstorms.
SaturdayMostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs 58 to 64. Rainfall less than a tenth of an inch.
Saturday NightConsiderable cloudiness. A chance of showers in the evening, then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows 45 to 50. Chance of rain 30 percent.
SundayPartly sunny. A 20 percent chance of showers in the morning. Highs in the lower to mid 60s.

Zilch overnight. So far this storm didn’t pan out, but the big low pressure system is still offshore.

El Nino Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
*****************************************************************************:censored:

Some sprinkles last night, a bit of actual rain this morning pre-dawn, then sprinkles from then till towards midday when it cleared up and got warm, drying out most of what had come down. Not expected to get more till tomorrow evening, 50/50 chance less than 1/4".

But Friday's pretty well guaranteed to get over an inch, possibly nearly two, and saturday maybe another quarter.

Another 2.3" yesterday, so nearly 5" for the storm total. Not bad.
Sun is out today, so time to clean up the mess in the yard. The ground looks like it just barely reached saturation toward the end of the rain. I can turn off the irrigation system for the winter (I hope) and the fire season is definitely over.

Last edited:
El Nino Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
************************************************************************************************************************************************:oop:
Cloudburst downpour during the thunderstorm.

So far only just under half an inch at my house, and no floodwaters to ride home thru; was lucky enough to only have spriinkles to ride to work in, and no rain on the way home (it didn't start up again until I was getting the Schmoo to sit and wait before opening her "run" gate to the rest of the yard).

EDIT: another quarter inch in the last few minutes (around 750pm) in a sudden gusty downpour, which has now turned into steady rain.

Last edited:
Ended up with over 3/4" at my house, but the weather has dried out and gone sunny, but cold. (low 60s F for a high, high 30s/low 40s F for lows).

Cold enough that JellyBeanThePerfectlyNormalSchmoo has pretended to be a dog all day and stayed here with me snuggled up on the bed whenever I've been in it today (trying to get some things done while I could, so not resting as much as I should be). Normally she spends her time outside when it's not summer-hot, staring off at other-dimensional things only aliens like her can see...when it's summer-hot she stays inside on the cool tile floor areas. The small amount of time she spends in the same room with me is almost always on the floor or her bed on the floor, and very rarely comes up here, and almost never snuggles up for more than a few minutes at a time before she gets bored (even if she's sleeping) and leaves. But she's stayed snuggled up for a couple hours now, and spent almost the whole night with me last night and even the night before.

I have to leave the window open so the room gets cold for her to stay up here, though--if I don't she'll stay in the room but not up here.

So...I'll take the cold weather...even if I need three blankets for myself, if it will get her to snuggle up.

(of course, just after I typed up the above, she got bored with sleeping up here and left, like she usualy does..but she might come back in a while).

Detailed Forecast​

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Wednesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Thursday
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Friday
Partly sunny, with a high near 70.
Friday Night
A chance of rain, mainly after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday
Rain likely, mainly between 11am and 5pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 59.
Saturday Night
A chance of rain before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 61.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42.
New Year's Day
A slight chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 62.
Monday Night
A slight chance of rain. Partly cloudy, with a low around 41.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.

Last edited:
About another inch overnight here. Still drizzling. No heavy downpours, but steady light rain for the past few days. Forecast indicates New Year Day will be sunny, but otherwise rain every day for a week. We still need it.

Detailed Forecast​

Today
Partly sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the morning.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Saturday
Showers likely before 10am, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 10am and 4pm, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of showers before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday
A slight chance of showers after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 59. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers, mainly after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
New Year's Day
A chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 61. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 40.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 63.
Tuesday Night
A slight chance of showers after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41.
Wednesday
Showers likely. Partly sunny, with a high near 57.
Wednesday Night
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40.
Thursday
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 59.

El Nino Rain Gage
*****************************************************************************:censored:

2.2" more since last report. It's starting to clear up but more is expected next week. Should be OK for New Years Eve.

Last edited:
Back