Electric longboard build

RSP

1 µW
Hi, I've been reading through your sticky guide on how to build an electric skateboard, it provided a lot of useful information for beginners such as me, so thanks for making that :)

I'd be happy if someone could just quickly look through the list of components and see if it all fits. I've put together the following components:

Motor: NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV / 2400W
Motor drive gear: T5, 12 teeth, 8mm shaft diameter
Timing belt: T5, 15 mm width, 250mm length
Battery: Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 25C Long Lipo Pack (maybe two of these, depending on how much range I need)
ESC: HobbyKing 90A Boat ESC 4A SBEC
Remote: HobbyKing® ™HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz
Charger: Turnigy dlux AC/DC 130W 10A 6S
Wheels: ABEC 11 FLYWHEELS 83 mm
Wheel drive gear: I have my own 3d printer, so I'll try to 3d print this with 40 teeth.

The motor mount I'll probably 3d print in ABS to start with and then later get it machined in aluminium when the design fits.
Im in doubt if the motor is powerful enough, my weight is about 85 kg (187 lbs) and the board will be used on medium hills now and then. Speedwise, I'm happy with it maxing out around 20 mph.
Also if this works out, I'll probably be building a few of these for friends / family, is there a better choice for remote with more channels so we can be more than 3 riding together without signal interference?

Thanks,
Rune

Can you report back how the 3d printing went, when you're done with the build, because I actually have access to a 3D printer, and I'm planning to do longboard or pennyboard build.

If T5 belt is a trapezoidal I would avoid it. They are less capable than round tooth profiles such as htd 5m.

I have partially printed mounts. You have to have good filament and a good print. I have had strong parts with transparent, black and purple abs. Bright green abs was really brittle though and broke sitting on the board overnight before I got to ride. The mounts that I have had work great are 2mm wall, 40% infill and 60% infill. Just make sure you take care to avoid gaps in your part at thin features. (try to make thin features dividable by your nozzle diameter)

I am also using a printed 36T HTD 5M pulley bolted to my wheel and its also working great, but was printed on a fortus 400mc 100% solid m30-abs.

Okay, I'll look for belt with round profiles.

I've printed the wheel gear drive while waiting for the parts. It seems pretty decent, I printed it with 100 mm/s however, which I think is a bit too much for the outer edges :)

Another question, do I need a special ESC to support regenerative breaking?

DSC_0161.JPG

Hey man I 've used those 50mm motors before & I weigh about the same as you, they get super hot, like lava, you should consider a 63mm motor.

Are you planning single motor or dual? Dual 50mm motors work well (I'm 190lbs) but running single I have some problems stalling up slight hills with acceleration.

I'm thinking about starting with a single motor, a EMP C5065/09-KV270 and a maybe a 120A, 6S boat ESC. But would this mean that the motor would recieve 120A at 22.2V ~ 2600W at full throttle? The supplier suggests the following setup for the motor:

- APC E 18x10, 80A ESC, 8S 5000mAh: Power: 1540W, Thrust: 7.145kg @ 58A

- APC E 18x12, 80A ESC, 8S 5000mAh: Power: 1750W, Thrust: 8.100kg @ 65A (motor needs good cooling)

Maybe I could go for a 90A or even 60A for a single motor? Would I be able to hook two motors up to a 120A ESC in case one motor is not enough?

Single 50mm great for flat ground. Dual 50mm great for medium to moderate hills and everyday riding. Trying to climb real steep hills and/or go down steep hills - dual 63mm is recommended. I'm about 200 lbs with a heavy backpack and can go up some very steep hills and down. However, sometimes I tend to take it easy and walk down some steep ones when I notice the motors/esc heat up. dual 63 would be preferred for serious riding. 15-20% should be fine on dual 50mm.

They are nice. Does the Wheel drive gear : needs any kind of nuts or bolting ?

RSP said:
Hi, I've been reading through your sticky guide on how to build an electric skateboard, it provided a lot of useful information for beginners such as me, so thanks for making that :)

I'd be happy if someone could just quickly look through the list of components and see if it all fits. I've put together the following components:

Motor: NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV / 2400W
Motor drive gear: T5, 12 teeth, 8mm shaft diameter
Timing belt: T5, 15 mm width, 250mm length
Battery: Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 25C Long Lipo Pack (maybe two of these, depending on how much range I need)
ESC: HobbyKing 90A Boat ESC 4A SBEC
Remote: HobbyKing® ™HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz
Charger: Turnigy dlux AC/DC 130W 10A 6S
Wheels: ABEC 11 FLYWHEELS 83 mm
Wheel drive gear: I have my own 3d printer, so I'll try to 3d print this with 40 teeth.

The motor mount I'll probably 3d print in ABS to start with and then later get it machined in aluminium when the design fits.
Im in doubt if the motor is powerful enough, my weight is about 85 kg (187 lbs) and the board will be used on medium hills now and then. Speedwise, I'm happy with it maxing out around 20 mph.
Also if this works out, I'll probably be building a few of these for friends / family, is there a better choice for remote with more channels so we can be more than 3 riding together without signal interference?

Thanks,
Rune

Back