Electric Vespa Tuk Tuk (Piaggio Ape)

bernietime

1 mW
I am Converting my Piaggio Ape (which is the parent company of Vespa) to electric! Check out my youtube video for some walk arounds and to see my design.

This is the beginning of my electric conversion of a 1968 Piaggio Ape. The Ape (pronounce "ah-pay") started its life as a two-stroke, gas-powered cargo carrier. It traveled from Italy to Thailand where it was "restored". A bad restoration in the Vespa world is called a "Bodge". This is a bodge 100%.
So I feel no sympathy for tearing it apart and making it electric!
Parts used on this build so far:

Hub Motors: 48v 1.5 KW Scooter Hub Motor - Golden Motor North America - Canada & United States

72v Motor Controller: https://www.amazon.com/YIYIBYUS-Speed

Very cool project! Interested in hearing your thought process on the trade-off between selling the engine vs. keeping in case someone wants to convert back to gas someday. My inclination would be to sell the gas engine after my EV conversion is done (more about not wanting to devote storage space to an engine of questionable function than cost, but it still helps) but I’m curious about how that may affect long term value.

Great project! Looking forward to future update's. ;) Can you share some details? (Couldn't find them on your instagram.) For example motors/gears used. There was a link to a motor. But the picture is different from the ones in the video. And why 48v system. (I'm thinking about 72v) Can you share some numbers about battery capacity, range and speed. What about the time from 0-25km/h? (My gas-powered ape takes "forever" ;) )

Well! I did it again. In the process of converting another Piaggio Ape.
Check out the video below if you are interested. I tried to be a little more informative in this one. This one is a 1963.

By the way, I ended up finishing and selling the last electric Ape. I'll make a follow-up video of that one in the future.

Well! I did it again. In the process of converting another Piaggio Ape.
Check out the video below if you are interested. I tried to be a little more informative in this one. This one is a 1963.

By the way, I ended up finishing and selling the last electric Ape. I'll make a follow-up video of that one in the future.
Great! Looking forward to the follow-up video. I have a lot of questions, but I'm waiting patiently for the video. Most of them will probably be answered. Very nice project! Especially the old Ape. These are so hard to find overhere. Almost only in Italy and even then they are very much over-priced. :(

Great! Looking forward to the follow-up video. I have a lot of questions, but I'm waiting patiently for the video. Most of them will probably be answered. Very nice project! Especially the old Ape. These are so hard to find overhere. Almost only in Italy and even then they are very much over-priced. :(
Thanks!
What questions do you have? I'll make sure to answer them in the follow-up video.

Also, note that I said I wired the controllers in series. I meant parallel.

My tip for finding an Ape: Search for tuk-tuk on any selling platform. People usually don't know what they are and post them under that!

Thanks!
What questions do you have? I'll make sure to answer them in the follow-up video.

Also, note that I said I wired the controllers in series. I meant parallel.

My tip for finding an Ape: Search for tuk-tuk on any selling platform. People usually don't know what they are and post them under that!
I know...it is just a matter of searching. I have already one Ape. But that one is only 4 years old and in perfect condition. Would be a shame to destroy a good Ape. :) I'm looking for a one without running motor. That doesn't hurt that much to make it an electric one. :D

Regarding the questions.
Mainly technical. Which motors used. Cable sizing and controller used. I assume Lifepo4 batteries. Then details about kwh of the pack is also nice. Regarding the build itself. Final weight and range in combination with maximum speed is also good to know. I'm aming for myself for not a very fast Ape (roughly 40kmh), but with a range of at least 40km. So that I won't have to charge every day. Weight is one of my biggest concerns/question marks. Just because it is of great influence for the speed and range.

Back