Etek motor slows down under load

rumleyfips

1 mW
The Etek motor on my converted riding mower has been working well but lately slows down while mowing up a steep hill. batteries read 39 start to 36 recharge. Cables, fuse and contactor show low resistance. The brushes are OK and it turns ( stiffly ) by hand. Everything looks good and it mows great on flat ground but it slows down going uphill. I have to stop and let the speed turn back up before it will mow again.

Any ideas ?

Doesn't sound like a motor problem.

Sounds like an aging-battery problem.

What does the voltage read when the motor slows? Is the voltage sag greater than it used to be when it didn't slow down under load?

BTW, I recommend editing your first post in the thread to give a title descriptive of your issue that you need help with. Just "Etek" isn't likely to attract attention. If I didn't open every new post / thread to check for spam and the like, I wouldn't have read it to know that you needed help. ;)

Thanks Amberwolf . I changed the title.

The batteries read OK using a load test meter, but they are old. Voltage reads 39 resting fully charged, 35 mowing ( 45 amps ) 32 when I take it back to the chatger and 35 after I shut it off to begin charging. I charge to 45 volts and it reads 39 after I shut the charger off.

If we don't have a thunderstorm I'll work on it today.

I put it back together and mowed for an hour with no problems.
Sounds like it might've been a connection fault; oxidized or loose, that was corrected by the unplugging/pluging of things, if it stays fixed.

The batteries read OK using a load test meter,
Does the device put the same load on them that you see during the problem event? If not, you should just put a voltmeter on the mower and note the readings you get just before and during the event, and compare with it's normal-working-operation loaded state.

If the voltage drops far enough, the controller will hit LVC and shutdown motor operation.

Thanks for the help Amberwolf. It's mowing well. You are probably right about corroded terminals. I filed and sanded all of them shiny and bright.

Back