Fit Sport vs. Insight EX vs. new-gen Prius test driven

Toshi

10 kW
[nb: this was written by yours truly after test driving the below cars today, june 21. for what it's worth we were the only people in the entire honda dealership besides salespeople, and there were less than half-dozen customers at the toyota dealership.]

my wife, jessica, and i test drove a few cars today: a 2009 Honda Fit Sport, a 2010 Honda Insight EX, and a base model 2010 Toyota Prius. we test drove them just for fun, as her 2001 Toyota Corolla LE is showing few signs of slowing down even as it passes through 120k miles on the clock, but we thought we could do some advance homework for the day that it does go kaput.

2009hondafitrednewsales.jpg

hondafit5spdat2009dashb.jpg

2009 Honda Fit Sport

price: $16,260 MSRP + TTD without navi
mileage: 27/33/29 city/hwy/combined mpg for the manual, 27/33/30 for the auto (or 28/35/31 for the base model slushbox)
fuel costs for 1 year per fueleconomy.gov: $1263
curb weight: 2520 lbs
passenger capacity: 90.8 cubic ft
cargo capacity: 20.6 cubic ft

impressions:

- the base model is unacceptable content-wise, with no cruise control even available and steelies
- exterior packaging is just about perfect for a 4 seat car
- interior accommodations are generally fine, and the flip-up/fold-down rear "magic seat" is awesome
- dashboard is really chintzy, unfortunately, especially the center stack (navi fixes this, but the navigation package adds a solid $1850!)
- windows in front of the front doors in the A-pillars actually work well
- 5-speed manual version actually gets 1 mpg less city/hwy than the 5-speed auto. how? the manual has a 0.727 5th gear with a 4.62 final drive ratio while the slushbox has a 0.552 5th gear with a 4.56 final drive ratio.
- completely silent at idle, moderately raucous under acceleration
- feels solid, rides nicely, smooth brakes, very slick and short throws from the manual gearchange
- rear window has no bar across it but is very short vertically for a somewhat compressed view of traffic behind oneself

verdict: quite a compelling little car, but feels like the cheapest honda that it is. in particular jessica was appalled by the center stack on the dashboard, and she's usually not one to complain about such things. it drove fine, however, and we'd probably get mid to upper 30s for mileage in it with the conservative way that we drive.

hondainsightex2010exter.jpg

hondainsightex2010dashb.jpg

2010 Honda Insight EX

price: $21,300 + TTD without navi
mpg: 40/43/41 city/hwy/combined mpg
fuel costs for 1 year per fueleconomy.gov: $893
curb weight: 2727 lbs
passenger capacity: 85 cubic ft
cargo capacity: 15.9 cubic ft

impressions:

- just as with the Fit the Insight's base trim (LX) is unacceptable content-wise, with no cruise control and steel wheels as dealbreakers
- looks great on the exterior actually, with the way the taillights blend into the Kamm tail looking very honda-ish and futuristic simultaneously
- interior room is disappointing. very high luggage area floor with the seats only folding down flat to that level, with not much room at all between the high floor and the low, swoopy roof. not a useful hatchback when compared to either the Fit or the Prius!
- dashboard looks quite a bit nicer than that of the Fit, with nicer plastics and less obsession with circular forms
- the real-time feedback with the growing leaf logos (i got 10/10 half-leaves!) and the blue to green color shift behind the speedometer are actually quite fun, and do inspire one to drive more efficiently. jessica really got into it, and i already was on board from having driven my parents' Prius.
- driving dynamics feel much like a Fit, with perhaps a touch more road noise. nothing to write home about, and certainly doesn't feel as awful as many a recent magazine review would have you believe
- interior sightlines to the rear are compromised by the split in the rear window

verdict: not a bad car, and better in some ways than a Fit. not compelling, however, especially with the interior packaging and $6k price differential for a vehicle that is based off of the same platform. finally, even though the dashboard is nicer and less cluttered visually than that of the Fit it still is somewhat horrid.

prius20101.jpg

2010priusdash.jpg

2010 Toyota Prius

price: $22,000 MSRP + TTD for the base Prius II trim level
mileage: 51/48/50 city/hwy/combined mpg
fuel costs for 1 year per fueleconomy.gov: $732
curb weight: 3042 lbs
passenger capacity: 93.7 cubic ft
cargo capacity: 21.6 cubic ft

impressions:

- base trim on a Prius is livable, with cruise control, stability control, alloy wheels, power everything all standard, so the comparison between the Insight EX and the Prius base model is actually a fair one
- i can't say that i like the new stock 15" alloy wheel design, and the 17"s are only on the top-trim model
- interior room continues to be adequate, with a floor height much lower than that of the Insight with a higher roof: it's a more substantial car for sure
- the new dashboard layout is somewhat jarring, with a center console that basically hugs you, and a slightly higher perceived cowl height with a low roofline and sharply raked windshield. it's mildly claustrophobic, actually, and i can't say that i care for it much. the center console design does make room for a handbag underneath, however, a feature that jessica immediately picked up upon.
- the dashboard layout is simple and clean, and one can choose to suppress much of the extraneous information on the display. Touch Tracer controls are cool, too!
- driving dynamics are great. power was adequate, throttle tip-in can be adjusted from really sedate in Eco mode to brisk in Power mode, and its operation is very, very smooth and silent. it was much more refined feeling than either the Fit or the Insight.
- EV mode is good until 25 mph, at which point it shuts off. i was able to drive for the better part of a mile at 24 mph on the way back to the dealership without draining the battery appreciably. acceleration was really slow in EV mode but it works and is undeniably geeky.
- body motions seem a bit more controlled than on my parents' non-Touring 2006 Prius, but then again we weren't on an autocross course and the salesman was in the back seat
- interior sightlines are similarly compromised to the rear as in the Insight but both jessica and i found it less objectionable for some reason

verdict: we liked the new Prius quite a bit, and felt it was the strongest of the three vehicles when price is ignored. its dashboard layout is clean even if i'm still not sold on the new center console setup, its interior layout is sane and usable without the high floor of the Insight, its mileage is unparalleled, and its driving dynamics we actually felt to be quite good. price-wise the Prius does line up quite well with the Insight EX, as the base model Insight LX doesn't even have cruise control available as an option, a true deal-breaker, and looks the stripper with steel wheels. thus it's a no-brainer that we'd pick the Prius over an Insight.

the real question is whether we'd buy a Prius over a Fit: the Fit is a solid $6000 cheaper and it'd take over 10 years to make back the difference in gas prices alone. on the other hand, the Prius would retain more residual value than a Fit after being used for an equivalent amount, but any way you slice it the Prius is going to be a more expensive lifetime proposition. at this point it really would be a judgment call, and i think for us the smoothness, silence, EV mode, and clean, non-chintzy dashboard of the Prius would sway us in its favor. your priorities may well differ, but this is what we'd spend our hypothetical money on.

you have 15 years before the corolla goes kaput. it will be stolen and wrecked by cabbies at least 4 times in the interim. might want to wait until you leave NY to buy a second vehicle. parking is sometimes a problem, as i guess you now realize.

you really think cruize control is needed? or that steel wheels are bad enuff to kill the deal?

did any of the real technical differences like parallel versus serial hybrid enter into your mental equations? or motor control? or do any of the reports of 60mpg test drives by the reviewers of the new insight mean anything? do you know anyone who gets more than 45mpg from a prius?

what is a slushbox? i get 35mpg from my antique honda, and it has a carb. something doesn't jibe.

dnmun said:
you have 15 years before the corolla goes kaput. it will be stolen and wrecked by cabbies at least 4 times in the interim. might want to wait until you leave NY to buy a second vehicle. parking is sometimes a problem, as i guess you now realize.

you really think cruize control is needed? or that steel wheels are bad enuff to kill the deal?

did any of the real technical differences like parallel versus serial hybrid enter into your mental equations? or motor control? or do any of the reports of 60mpg test drives by the reviewers of the new insight mean anything? do you know anyone who gets more than 45mpg from a prius?

what is a slushbox? i get 35mpg from my antique honda, and it has a carb. something doesn't jibe.
yeah, that corolla may well hang in there for several more years... we'll be in long island rather than on manhattan so parking actually shouldn't be too horrible.

we do rely quite extensively on cruise control and not having it available even as an option on the Insight LX (base) and Honda Fit (base, non-Sport) actually is a deal killer.

the technical differences don't matter much but having the EV only option on the 2010 Prius actually is kind of cool, and in general i like how the 2nd and 3rd gen Priuses drive compared to Civic Hybrids and the Insight we tested.

after talking it over a bit more with the wife tonight on the way to dinner--in a borrowed Z4, no less--we both decided that the weirdness of the 2010 Prius's dashboard was actually too great, leaving our final verdict is:

Fit: chintzy plastics, expensive navi the only good way to remedy
Insight: pales in comparison to Prius
2010 Prius: funky-ass dashboard layout makes me claustrophobic

therefore they're all out.

the new plan: if the 2001 Corolla dies in the next year or two then get a 2008/2009 CPO 2nd gen Prius with its comparatively normal dashboard, and if it dies after that point aim for a Lexus HS250h assuming its layout isn't as oppressive. the proof will be in my perception once i plop down in the driver's seat, but the Lexus's dashboard looks a bit more reasonable in photos.

my old gf and her hubbie got a 07 civic EX. 4 door, gets 41mpg on the freeway. that's a way to think, but it was only $16k. it will run like that for 300k, like her 87 CRX.

i need a truck of a car and they don't make anything like my old 84 honda wagon anymore. that's the shame, it is all just rich car crap now. i need to haul lumber, refrigerators, yard debris, concrete, in other words a pickup of a car that i can camp in with my cats when i drive cross country, and carry 500lbs of ebikes on the thule rack hanging off the rear door. something chevy coulda made if the world had been different. but we won the war so nobody would drive an 'economy car' when the world gives us oil so cheap.

i think fiat could do it this time. the unions will do everything to kill it, but i bet the 500 is a success now. and they got guvment money to promote while ford continues to labor under its debt. there is already talk of collaboration with renault, so they could get the nissan EV system by the 2011 model year too. problem is, there is 5 times too much car manufacturing capacity in the world.

Last fall my wife and I had an ongoing argument whether to get a car. Finally she won. We looked at the Toyota Prius, Corolla and Matrix/Vibe, Honda Fit, and VW Jetta TDI. In the end we bought a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (same as Matrix) with 30,000 km for CAD 12 000. We have a baby, and while my parents managed to transport me and two sisters in a VW bug, conventional wisdom now days is that you "need" a minivan for a family. A station wagon was the closest in size to a minivan while having a decent fuel economy. I bike within the city, and my wife at least uses the bus/train for some of her errands, so most of our driving is to get to places outside of the city, where there are no busses. Canadian Driving has had a number of interesting articles on fuel economy, including one large test of how far one can driveon 50l of fuel with a variety of small cars. The test involved actual driving as opposed to a simulator as is used for EPA figures. http://www.canadiandriver.com/2008/06/23/special-feature-2008-canadiandriver-50-litre-challenge.htm

The VW Jetta TDI (and other similar small Diesels) have the best milage for highway driving, but we didn't find a reasonably priced used one.

The Honda Fit had the most functional interior, and the best inside usable volume to outside volume ratio. I actually liked the 2008 better than the 2009 model.

The current model Corolla isn't available in Station wagon in North America. A pity. We rented the Station wagon version in Europe, and it would have been the best choice for us.

The Toyota Matrix/Pointiac Vibe is basically a taller/bulkier version of the Corolla wagon. Like the Corolla it has very good reviews for reliability, but the increased size makes for a slight drop in fuel economy. It is still comparably light at 1300kg. (For instance the Jetta weighs about 1500kg)

In the end we decided that getting a late model used car was more economically sensible than a brand new one. I would have settled for a '93-97 Corolla, which is that last years the station wagon was imported, and supposedily the most reliable of any model and year range car -- but wife wanted newer... The fit is too recent here, sot here weren't many used available. Hence we bought the Vibe/Matrix. They are plentiful and reasonably priced.

Why not a hybrid? In the 8 months since we bought it we have driven only 4000km, giving an annualized 6000km / 3700 miles. A hybrid definitely does not make economic sense, and I'm also doubting that it makes much environmental sense given the additional resources used to make it compared to the modest milage driven.

Thanks for looking into this Toshi. Very succint and well thought review.

As my '96 Accord crested 200k last month, I'm thinking about the future. I'm particularly interested in the three nameplates you referenced.

Now, after many a road-trip and with a 90 lb dog, my interior and exterior have been beaten down like nobody's business. BUT I recently climbed a rutted dirt road up to the top of a modest-sized mountain near the Smokies with 4 adults and 2 large dogs inside. Not bad for a car with no clearance. Oh, AND I'm getting 30+ mpg combined. Oh, and I've replaced brakes and belts and a starter. I had some doubts when I got rid of my '95 Civic, but the Accord keeps proving me wrong. This sumbitch is a tough nut to crack.

So... I wanna get behind the Insight, but most reviews are in-line with yours. I'd like to get behind the Fit, but... shelling out a chunk of change to get a marginally more efficient vehicle seems foolish (to say nothing of the Newtonian physics problem a Fit would have in a world with people driving 4wd genital-compensatory units.) My pops has driven a Prius for years and looooooves it, (and the P the interior holds more than my girl's Cherokee [hell, if my Accord were a hatch it would too] but... I'm not too wild about the sticker price.

I want a new car; given the asthetic condition of my current beater, some would argue I NEED a new car (namely the girlfriend.) I just feel like I'm waiting for my next car to be designed, much less produced.

All I want is something that can move me from point A to B, that can handle nicely (given the amount of morons I encounter on my commute, active safety is important to me,) that has 4 doors and a hatch, and can get >40 mph (hell all of my cars in my 20 years of driving have all been >30, I guess progress is a bit slow,) and that is affordable. I think it's a damn shame, but pretty safe to say, my next car, like the other three I've own, will be Japanese.

jag said:
Last fall my wife and I had an ongoing argument whether to get a car. Finally she won. We looked at the Toyota Prius, Corolla and Matrix/Vibe, Honda Fit, and VW Jetta TDI. In the end we bought a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (same as Matrix) with 30,000 km for CAD 12 000. [...]

In the end we decided that getting a late model used car was more economically sensible than a brand new one. [...]

Why not a hybrid? In the 8 months since we bought it we have driven only 4000km, giving an annualized 6000km / 3700 miles. A hybrid definitely does not make economic sense, and I'm also doubting that it makes much environmental sense given the additional resources used to make it compared to the modest milage driven.
your thought process sounds very sound. thanks for the canadian driver link, btw.

with regard to hybrids and lifecycle energy use i have a link for you:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10001

key figure:

picture1gk6.png

the hybrids actually do make sense from the energy and GHG perspective. 8)

I have to read through your review more carefully when I'm back at home this evening, as I may have missed some of your criteria, but have you considered something like the Toyota Yaris hatchback?

There are lots of benefits of a small car & small engine (though North Americans don't seem to get the smallest engine variants or the 4 door hatch). Lower fuel consumption, less embodied energy & emissions, lower purchase cost, perhaps lower running costs as well.

They're hugely popular in Sydney even though they charge a price premium over the Suzuki Swift & Hyundai Getz thanks to their name and reputation.

Word, my homey in japan has a awd nissan four door with a 1.5, friggin sweeet for areas like his that get snow. I think it was a "blue bird" or something. Great interior too. And his cuz has a small toyota turbo diesel.. :x

Out of the choices here I'd go fit base + $500 aftermarket wheel/tire set + $100 suction cup gps. I can live with the foot cruise and funky dash as long as its in a honda.. had good luck with the two I've owned. I've heard that its more sporty and fun to drive that the other choices in its segment too.. not a small point in my book!

one project i would like to do yet is convert a honda to run on CNG using some of the aftermarket kits available in italy, pakistan, and argentina and everywhere else but in the US. the EPA has blocked people from converting cars by refusing to allow their sale or import into the US.

i wanted to get a friend in mexico to buy a kit from argentina and smuggle it into the US, more work, but it would be neat to hack the electronic fuel controls for the fuel injected vtech honda motor and use that to control the CNG injection valves. the german company that makes the special injectors for the turbo diesel audi formula racer also is making the CNG fuel valves now too, piezo electrically driven.

dnmun said:
the EPA has blocked people from converting cars by refusing to allow their sale or import into the US.
When was that?

I have a friend with a factory Civic CNG. He bought it new from the dealer a couple years ago. He also has a converted Suburban (dual fuel).

voicecoils said:
have you considered something like the Toyota Yaris hatchback?

Before buying, my wife and I rented a Yaris for a week. Front and rear seating and space is good for the modest size car, but cargo capacity is small. I would go with the sedan over the hatchback. It is slightly longer and has a good size trunk. In the hatchback there is not much length between the rear seats and rear hatch. It would be difficult to fit e.g. a family sized cooler for picnics. Again like for the Corolla, the bummer is that Toyota doen't import a proper station wagon version to North America. Elsewhere one can even buy the Yaris with a taller and longer body as a minivan.

I think the main problem is that the people who decide what vehicle models to import to North America think that the smallest cars are 2nd vehicles for families, not the primary vehicle. Now if one has another bigger car to haul things (or a small family), the small and compact Yaris hatchback is easy to park and a good choice. A friend of mine had one as long as they had one kid, but with two kids they moved up to a Mazda 5 (the smallest mini-van like vehicle in North America).

Back