Freewheel noise on new ezee hub motor drives me insane!

Hi,
The new ezee motor that Grin stocks has a modern cassette hub, which is good and is bad.
I know a higher count of paws&springs per revolution, means a higher quality freewheel, but, the noise, which is amplified by the motor's body, drives me insane!
It has like 100 clicks per revolution, so it sounds like a whinning motorcycle buzz, which really counters the peacefulness of going with bicycle through nature.
It also prevents you from detecting any bicycle alerting noises from upcoming failures - like loose spokes, loose nuts, etc...
Is there a way to keep that damn thing quiet? (except pedalling - if I were to pedal all the time I would have taken my regular bike)
I was reading that you can inject grease, but that can cause the paws to get stuck - so you freewheel in both directions.
Is it possible to remove the freewheel completely and replace with a simpler, cheaper, but QUIET unit? :)

Thanks for any info about this..
Roy

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/product/superior-lubricant-aerosol

Spray this into the pawls area.

That stuff looks great, but they don't ship it outside of North-America.
Can you recommend a more common lube/grease that is more international? (like "WD40" for example, although it won't do any good for the task we talk about)

thunderstorm80 said:
That stuff looks great, but they don't ship it outside of North-America.
Can you recommend a more common lube/grease that is more international? (like "WD40" for example, although it won't do any good for the task we talk about)
Any light oil, not penetrating oil (wd-40), will do. I mention Tri-Flow because I've used it and it quieted the pawls significantly. Speculation is that the oil hydraulically damps the pawl strike and the tenacious quality of the oil keeps it in place between strikes. Grease can't 'flow' back between strikes.

The downside is that the oil is potentially also a 'wick' for contaminants to get to the ball bearings. Since the ball bearings don't bear much of a load, this shouldn't be much of a problem. My experience wasn't long term and I was able to access the back of the freewheel to 'flush' with new oil periodically. The difference in the freewheel noise was 'striking'. :roll:

Back