Had A Domestic Accident With a Turnigy Accucel-8150

Hi folks.

I had a small accident with one of these- basically in a rats-nest of wires, and while quite tired and pissed off about something, I fed a small voltage into the output part of the charger.

I got some blue smoke and that usual, "shorted" smell.

Thankfully I have a new Accucel, but I was wondering if the old one could be salvaged.

The unit still powers up but it is refusing to charge or operate for any more than a few seconds.

Unfortunately my Digi-Cam is still out of bounds.......I took off the cover and looked inside, there is a bank of what appear to be fets bolted to the body/heatsink and the very last one of them seemes to be burned out. Maybe 2, tops.

Is it possible I could order some spares and fix this?

Cheers.

I'd bet that it can be fixed! I plugged in a fully charged 6S battery while mine was on and it apparently didn't like that. Out came the magic smoke. So I read the number off of the FET's, measured the resistance to see which ones were shorted, and replaced them with some NTE-equivalent parts from a nearby electronics store.

fizzit said:
I'd bet that it can be fixed! I plugged in a fully charged 6S battery while mine was on and it apparently didn't like that. Out came the magic smoke. So I read the number off of the FET's, measured the resistance to see which ones were shorted, and replaced them with some NTE-equivalent parts from a nearby electronics store.

:) at your avatar :)

How do you measure FET resistance? Can you remember off-hand what sort of FET they were?

Cheers!

Back