Heya, I saw this & couldn't help myself... Among the myriad of o

atb

1 mW
Heya, I saw this & couldn't help myself... Among the myriad of other things, I am also an inventor, maverick, animal trainer, service dog handler/ trainer & medical professional...

Yeah, I know crazy but what can I say... A long time ago I was just starting training service/working dogs & was nothing short of pissed at the availability of decent harnesses & assistive tech!

After considerable research I created a new design that may be able to be adapted for your purposes... Most importantly, if you follow certain guidelines, there no risk of harm or injury to the animal (not the case with just about the rest of the options available)!

The 1st piece is materials... Simply put, don't put ANY SYNTHETIC FIBERS NEXT TO THE DOGS SKIN! Realistically anything other then real leather is a big no-no! If you have the money, the best leather (& the only thing I use) is full thickness kangaroo house- drum stuffed (though I reoil myself with a nice solid fat), vegetable tanned...

For those who think I am heartless, kangaroos are pests in Australia, are sustainably harvested/managed/hunted, breed like crazy, are actually quite nasty if you get anywhere near them & are actually in my opinion the most environmentally friendly leather available!

More importantly, it is the strongest, most durable, gentle on living tissue leather available... I still have my 1st harness & it looks brand new more then a decade later! It also has an unique ability to not damage the animals coat or skin with long term, especially near continuous use!

If you have some doubts, look at most dogs necks, their coats are destroyed/damaged under wear the collar sits... It can even cause massive sores... Sure synthetic are the worst but even leather will do it with sufficient duration/intensity/forces but kangaroo doesn't do it... I have had dogs wear my harness for more then a decade & if you remove the harness, the coat/skin underneath is indistinguishable from untouched areas! Up until the day my last personal service dog died he wore that harness day in & out but there was not even a broken hair!

To increase the strength enough to support a grown adult &/or XL dog, I actually took 2 identical pieces of kangaroo leather & sandwhiched pieces of tubular nylon webbing. I used varying widths ranging from 3" to 2" to 1" with multiple layers microfiber nylon cut into the shape of the chest plate, backstrap & chest strap... Those are measures based on the dogs anatomy... With smaller or larger animals the dimensions all change...

Actually this design has proven to be strong enough to safely withstand the enormous forces that happen when an unanticipated fall occurs when climbing... Dogs have rappelled off cliffs, helicopters, been lowered through pipes, windows, etc... But that version requires the additional leg straps to ensure the dog doesn't invert & potentially fall out of the harness; it also prevents hip damage from the hind quarters dangling unsupported! The additional leg straps will probably be important in your use... Basically any applications that the dog is suspended should have the additional leg straps...

In terms of the actual design... If someone tells me how to add pictures, I will post some of the harness so you can better understand but until then....

The design is a combo of the "Ruffwear" "Webmaster" (the shape & shaped profile with a min 5 point harness with a proper belly strap) & traditional agitation harness design in the front & shoulder region (such don't have the belly strap or shaped designs)... I'll include a couple links to show what I mean... I also increased the width of all the straps continuously throughout because most designs cut into the dogs body...

Respectively...

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2

http://www.elitek9.com/3-Point-Agitation-Harness/productinfo/H13/

I am not recommending those products or stores, each missed the boat completely but at least give an understanding of what I am talking about...

I also must strongly recommend no one use the other types of harness (especially the "H", "X" or "Y" designs), they are not fit for a dogs anatomy & can cause significant damage & suffering! The designs I mentioned come closer but screws everything up with some bad decisions...

Webmaster's worst is the tiny straps that can actually cut into the dog (cheap, $ saving) & does not have a leather option, only synthetic...

The agitation design doesn't have belly straps, puts uneven pressure on the spine, straps still narrow, no hind quarters/lower body support, etc...

However the design I am recommending eliminates those issues...

I use lambskin or fur to pad things when appropriate... Some dogs can't stand the smell though & I have to switch to an alternative... My last service dog found the smell too much & couldn't think straight trying to chase the scent, so it was easier to just use the leather alone as it didn't effect him!

I used only solid metal buckles typically used in horse tack but now I use Cobra (not raptor, I don't like their rep) military buckles as they are rated & comprehensively tested... They don't come undone on their own (even with help from the dog) & can withstand the more demanding forces involved... I tried the raptor because it's cheaper but had constant problems & complaints, I ended up having to recall any with raptors & replacing with cobras at my cost...

I am no longer making the harness for others but my designs are freely available to any who wish to use it... All I ask is you are honest & give due credit for the original designs... Just like I give for the designs that I adapted or encorporated...

Also if I do end up posting any original drawings/diagrams, please note, I am not good at drawing... So yeah, I am well aware I suck at drawing!

If you want to reduce the weight of the harness, you can use spectra/dyneema/ cuben fiber webbing/fabric instead of nylon... Definitely stick with full thickness hide, but if you have a really small dog, you can use multiple layers of split top grain leather... If you do so... At least 2 layers of split per layer of full thickness for small to medium, 3 for medium to large & 4 for large to extra large & 5 for the giants (I double the full thickness for the giants)...

If you are going to double tubular webbing, the best way is to put 1 inside an another... If you stitch it, you weaken it... Especially with sharp instead of rounded needles & machine sewing...

Another nice thing is the kangaroo leather can be sewn on a regular sewing machine & be washed in a washing machine (don't use a dryer & reoil it after)...

Adam

Btw- I'll try to come back & address the actual support device later on...

Sorry everyone... This was reply to someone's post... It was never meant to be its own post... Especially not randomly wherever... Without context this will make absolutely no sense...

So sorry... I'ld take it down but I don't know how to on this forum... Any mods who have the authority can remove it, if the are willing. Otherwise, if someone directs me how to remove it myself, I will do so...

Oh well, it is not the way I like to introduce myself but I'll survive... There bigger things to worry about them making a fool of myself & confusing a bunch of people online...

Adam

Interesting info all the same. Fortunately Tiny seems to be doing a lot better recently.

If you want to modify your posts, you can, just use the edit button. But please don't delete good info.

My sister brought back a leather coin pouch from Australia...she loves letting people fondle it and look really close at how there's no seams or stitching...And then revealing it's made from a kangaroo scrotum.

I am glad to hear Tiny is doing better... It's always so hard deciding what the best is to do for our 4 legged loved ones... We always want to do the best, the hard part is always what is the best...

It is actually why said harness design took so bloody long to get sorted out. I was really lucky, a local merchant that works with kangaroo leather, donated a bunch of differing kangaroo leather/knowledge...

So I was able figure out which to use & make a good harness for my working dogs... I am on a permanent, fixed income, disability pension & I would not of been able to accomplish what I wanted without that store owner... I'ld say the name but I don't want to break any rules here about advertising (definitely would be a recommendation, if I posted the name)...

Yeah, the store owner tried to pull the same thing on me with the coin pouch... But I had already read about it... Still if I had the cash, I would of gotten such pouch just to be able to do that myself; it's pretty funny...

Kangaroo leather really is quite amazing stuff... My oldest harness is about 16 years old & no one can tell it is not brand new... I am more amazed by the fact it doesn't damage the underlying coat or subsequent skin; I have used loads of other leather & never seen anything like it... I owe that local merchant a lot of thanks for all his help/kindness!

Technically there are lot of disabled people who him quite a lot... If it was not for this harness our beloved service animals would of continued in their meaningless suffering! Even some police/protection dogs are wearing this harness... I would of loved to be able to turn it into a viable business, abet a niche business... But it is beyond my abilities anymore!

Alright, you convinced me to leave it up for now... If it becomes a problem later, I'll deal with it then. It's kind of ironic, I had just completed the part 2: casters, suspension & mobility devices... Luckily I just happened to try out the preview option & saw the 1st post was gone before I hit send...

If people want me to post it here, I'll dig it out & post it but it is a bit redundant if I post what I actuality came here to talk about... My proof of concept powerchair that I am making to fix all the stupid issues with wheel/powerchairs today & so I can have functional & effective mobility device that meets my needs...

Right now all I have is a really, really, really bad/cheap powerchair (used pride quantum 600 with no advanced seating or control options)! The worst parts is the lack of any suspension & max speed of 5km/h... My poor dogs can't even stretch their legs or maintain their slowest pace possible! Meanwhile, I am thrown around like a jack in the box toy (so painful)!

I wrote something about it on the golden motor forum but it is pretty quiet there most of the time... Though Alan is amazing, I have learned so much from him! I just thought I may get more feedback here... Especially considering the rather unusual vehicle I am making...

Long term my goals of a wheelchair that can go anywhere (regardless of barriers, user abilities/limitations & state of accessibility of site), truly & honestly anywhere! Plus to make truly functional, modernized, efficient, far faster, not damaging to use, isn't stupidly expensive, etc..

I probably won't accomplish everything on the 1st prototype, especially with my extremely limited budget (I can't personally afford anything & I only have a little bit that was donated for the project by a local community member)... But hopefully I'll be able at some point in the future to actually finish it & accomplish all my goals... Until then I am building a somewhat scaled back version. If nothing else I'll finally be able to exercise my dogs, not be thrown around like a jack in the box & vastly improve accessibility!

Anyways... I'll stop here for they moment... I am long overdue for my meds & I can't see straight anymore... I'll try to check back later & respond to any questions, concerns, issues, fears, etc...

Adam

Btw- Sorry about the length, formatting, style, punctuation, etc... I can't write by hand, so to write anything I use dictation software & it is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination... Aside from that brevity has never been my strong suit!

atb said:
Sorry everyone... This was reply to someone's post... It was never meant to be its own post... Especially not randomly wherever... Without context this will make absolutely no sense...
Apologies, but there wasnt' anything in the post I could see that was related to the original subject, other than it was about dog-related equipment.

Perhaps if when you wish to post an idea for something additional/etc to someone's thread, you could make an introduction of the idea in relation to the subject at hand, so it won't seem like a non-sequitur?

When I read the reply, all I saw was a post griping about existing dog harnesses and materials techniques, and then talking about alternative ones, which was given no relation to anything else in the thread other than that it was dog-related.

That is why it was moved to a seperate thread.

FWIW, it is very common for random people (often spammers, sometimes not) to just post a reply to some random topic here on ES, that has little or nothing to do iwth the topic--it just happened to be the one they clicked on and were reading when they decided to post. It is often but not always their first (and often only) post.

In general these are split off to their own thread by the moderation team so that the person can get the replies they are after, which they usually won't get if it's buried in someone else's unrelated thread.

If you want to edit the original post to give it some context for what it has to do with the subject, I'll stick it back in the original thread it came from (Tiny's Wheelchair Project).

atb said:
If people want me to post it here, I'll dig it out & post it but it is a bit redundant if I post what I actuality came here to talk about... My proof of concept powerchair that I am making to fix all the stupid issues with wheel/powerchairs today & so I can have functional & effective mobility device that meets my needs...

IF you have your own human wheelchair project, it should have it's own thread, and not go into a thread about Tiny's manual wheelchair. ;) (which thankfully she hasn't needed since going on the Pyridostigmine meds, which make her almost normal again).

There've been a few threads started about powerchair projects, but AFAICR all but maybe one were abandoned. One I think was basically just what amounted to advertisement for a person's own business customizing them, masquerading as a build/idea thread. :( Been a while since we had any active ones, though.

I'd put it in E-vehicles General Discussion section, or even the regular General Discussion, if I were posting one up. (I have a battery upgrade project for one, to do someday.) Some might post it in the Scooter section, but to me they're not scooters....

Back