hi i bought a cellphone energy bank and they say charge it to 100 on first use?

sharinginfos

100 W
Hi
i bought see below a power bank. in the manual it is written to fully charge the bank before using it.
We all know that avoiding the 100 % charge is recommended on li ion battery so what to do?

Charmast Power Bank with Built in Cable, 10000mAh USB C Battery Pack 6 Outputs 2 Inputs with LED Display Type C Powerbank Portable Charger Compatible with Smartphones Tablets and More-White​

hum , i dont really fell helped here cause i did make researche but what the builder says contredicts other point of view. so this is why i ask for experienced advice.
builder says fully charge it and other says :

Before using the Li-ion battery for the first time, there is no need to fully charge it. But if you only want to charge your device so you can use it for longer, that’s fine.

I charge my powerbanks to 100 percent and they have last me for years. You only keep them at half charge if you won't be using it for a long time. If you only charge them to 90 percent they might last longer but then you have to monitor while charging. To me its not worth the hassle, like my cellphone and laptops I charge them to 100 percent everytime.

There might be a level at which the balance level kicks in, and charging it to 100% would balance it all.

In theory it's best to charge to 85%, but a BMS is not set up to charge it 85% unless you program it it's Bluetooth or an advanced BMS off the shelves BMS need to fully charge to balance. How would you know if it's 85% balance I mean what would you do to keep it 85% balance but your system would probably need to be 100% charge time to time to fully balance.

hum , i dont really fell helped here cause i did make researche but what the builder says contredicts other point of view.
Suggest you ask the vendor, ask them to clarify their statement, tell them it goes counter to charging best practices. And have them clarify their warrantee.

The company that sells the power bank is, at best, focused on a balance between you having a good experience with them, and you not dying and suing them.

If you charge the pack, it's more likely to have power which is why you bought it. Depending on how long it sat on the shelf, it may not have power. If you charge it, you are less likely to go online and write "I bought this power bank and it can't power anything!".

You getting the most satisfaction with it is in your hands. Charging it to a profile that gives you what you are after in return for the effort you are willing to make is most likely to give you your own satisfaction.

In some of the threads I read that mention charging short of full to increase the life of Li batteries, they also mention that unless it's sometimes charged to 100%, the BMS may not be able to keep the cells balanced. From that, it seems as if there is good reason for both, and striking a balance between them. What that best balance is, I'm still reading/trying/riding, etc. My picture will change.

ok thanks everyone i will follow the seller writting hoping that they say that because they have a bms that needs to reach100pourcent to balance. it is true that at that cost 23 it becomes a detail . but i will follow the 20 80 pourcent rule after.

Just for fun, when i think about my cellphone and where i stop the charge, i always ask myself, if i can use my cell phone will it last more years if i choose to only use it between 70 -30 pourcent and even more years if i can use it between 60-40(a bit less realistic )

or maybe it does not matter and what matter is the 80 20 pourcent fence not to cross.

thanks

With a power bank, you want to have its full capacity when needed. I'd say, charge it to 100 % and just use it. If you don't plan to use it for a long period of time, leave it at 40-50 %.

Back