Honda CA160 Custom Build

MDG

100 W
Nearly done with another conversion/custom project. This time is a Honda CA160 Dream. Came to me in pretty rough condition and had been sitting for many years. Plan was to do something different with it. It’s rocking a 138 V3 motor, Votol EM150 and 12V led lighting kit. Battery is 25AH and pushing 60A continuous and 180A peak. Not trying to make this a speed demon, just something light and fun to get around on. This has been a TON of work but should be wrapped up this week!!

IMG_2592.jpegIMG_2488.jpegIMG_2771.jpegIMG_2989.jpegIMG_2991.jpegIMG_2996.jpegIMG_3014.jpegIMG_3016.jpeg

Should I add one of those mounting panels to both sides on the battery cover? It’s to mount a pouch or gear bag into. Wondering if just the one side is odd..

Should I add one of those mounting panels to both sides on the battery cover? It’s to mount a pouch or gear bag into. Wondering if just the one side is odd..

I vote for both sides.

The bike looks great!

Reactions: MDG
Can you post more detailed pictures of this build? I’m really liking the look of this, excellent job!

What’s the details on the battery?
Thanks! Here’s a link to my YouTube and you can see some video too https://youtube.com/@MDG_Motorcycles?si=vD-vatRjNBX6faPO

So the battery is a UPP 72V 25AH battery. I’ve ran a few of these in the past and have been pleased with them. I like Amorge better but they take forever to get and build.

I also made a man all new headlight enclosure

I CNC cut a custom cradle for the battery to hang if you will. Half is in the frame in a foam enclosure the other half is supported by this holder. The controller is in the tank. I cut out the bottom and made custom mounts for it. The 138 motor fits quite nicely too, I CNC cut some custom bottom mounts as well. The back of the frame was cut off and I installed new longer shocks to get a floating cafe racer style bobber setup. Similar to a BMW custom airhead.

The battery is then enclosed in custom cut aluminum enclosure that still allows air flow to the motor fins too. Still need to mount a rear fender, center stand and side stand. IMG_2948.jpegIMG_2947.jpeg

First test ride today and first time learning about differences in throttles too.

So I was planning on not using the throttles that QS typically send with their Votol controllers. They have the key switch and volt meter part of the throttle.

I bought an off brand throttle off Amazon that doesn’t have a meter or switch as I wired in a new key switch.

The bike had no torque or pickup really until like 50% throttle. At first I thought my programming was off. Messed around on the software for a bit and nothing changed. I was like what the fu$$@&!!

So then I thought, let me try the original that came with the kit. Plugged it in, did the proper wiring and WAMMMO it Rips like all my other builds.

So, I am assuming either that throttle doesn’t send a proper signal to the controller like the other does or I can maybe program it to work. For now I’ll use the one QS sent. Always nice having an extra voltage display too.

copy/pasted my reply to your other post on this

If the votol setup software you have has settings for throttle start and end voltages, (low and high limits) then you can measure what your throttle outputs and use those numbers in the settings.

If it does not have any settings for this, or some other way to compensate for the differences in throttle votlages, then you would need to modify the throttle output to match what the controller expects, and that will take some hardware (which specific hardware depends on what your actual throttle output is, and what your controller expects).

Is your new throttle a hall, or a pot(entiometer) type? Are your other throttles hall, or pot? Each has a different voltage range and operates differently, so if they are different types, the controller will respond differently.

I like the clean black stealthy look.

Reactions: MDG
Man, what a wonderful evolution/conversion. That 'bolt' air intake (?) has a nice subtle coolness about it. Is this bike destined to be a fair weather rider, or does that intake have any special interior design to prevent water ingress? Ask, because I face a similar design challenge on my current project.

Above all else, that is some nice work, MGD.

Man, what a wonderful evolution/conversion. That 'bolt' air intake (?) has a nice subtle coolness about it. Is this bike destined to be a fair weather rider, or does that intake have any special interior design to prevent water ingress? Ask, because I face a similar design challenge on my current project.

Above all else, that is some nice work, MGD.
The center panel is to conceal the battery itself a bit and to hold the molle panels for bag mounts. The top and bottom have openings to allow some air flow along with the lightning bolt in the front. That’s more for aesthetic reasons though. The battery itself is protected by the housing it’s being held in. This won’t be a wet weather bike. IMG_3081.jpegIMG_3060.jpeg

Back