Horizon's H-Cell 2.0 hydrogen fuel cell for R/C cars now shi

ryan_lirui

10 mW
h-cell-20100525-600.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/25/horizons-h-cell-2-0-hydrogen-fuel-cell-for-r-c-cars-now-shippin/
You may have a hard time buying yourself a full-sized hydrogen-powered auto, but thanks to Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies you can at least get a 1:10 scale version. The company's H-Cell 2.0 fuel cell kit, unveiled back in February, is now shipping to forward-looking enthusiasts and comes with everything you need to mount it on a tiny boat, little plane, or R/C car (like the Tamiya TRF416 shown above). While Horizon indicates the cell will keep that car moving at 45mph for a full hour, an impressive figure, they still haven't told us another very important number: the cost. We do, however, have the full system specs just after the break, along with a demo video of the thing in action. It may not be as fast as your neighbor's nitro-powered beast, but what has he done for the environment lately?
http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/

What do you think about hydrogen fuel cells? It makes it a bit more achievable now that you've got your own charging station for the hydrogen cells. I was wondering what kind of C rates you could get from that

C-rates are used with batteries.... these have basically a power "range".....

they're 150W, so 18A @ 8V at peak power and 3.75A @ 8V nominal.

Even more of a letdown, is that they have about 12Wh per cartridge.... not a ton of energy. Might as well use a battery.

They have some other cool stuff though, although not cheap.

BUMP
I see they're up to 5kW now. Their 1kW system for example here:
http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/store/h1000xp.htm

Horizon's high-performance, plug & play hydrogen fuel cell designed & built for SHELL ECO-MARATHON H2 category.

With 30-50% weight and size reduction over standard Horizon PEM fuel cells (for the same power output), the H-1000XP is the ultimate Eco-marathon fuel cell system. Using premium materials and a new architecture, this choice will greatly increase your ability to outperform, since participants will now have on-board one of the best performing and most efficient PEM fuel cell stacks available!

The new H-1000 XP also offers savings on parts such as DC-DC converters, hydrogen sensors, data acquisition systems and capacitors. Less time is needed to develop the powertrain - making more time available for vehicle testing and performance optimization!

1000WXP02.jpg

"Please Contact Us For Pricing Information."

tks
LocK

"Please contact us for pricing information" makes me look for a different supplier. I'm over that tactic. :roll:

I can tell you, when I researched this a fee years ago, that 30v 33a system cost about $2000.
A company whose name I can't remember, was selling a bike that got 15mph and a 60mile range on a dual set of small hydrogen tanks for $4500 and this was two years ago.
I'll tell you what, when they have a 36v version that runs on hydrogen tanks for 60miles for a cost of $2000, I'll be the first to buy.
P.S. I already have a condensed air tank that I use to refill my son's paintball tanks with, so refilling with hydrogen is not an issue.. I priced out a refil of hydrogen 2 years ago and it was cheap, like $60 worth got me enough to refill the tanks 100times.. Or 6000 miles for $60. Even batteries can't compete with that!

sangesf said:
I priced out a refil of hydrogen 2 years ago and it was cheap, like $60 worth got me enough to refill the tanks 100times.. Or 6000 miles for $60. Even batteries can't compete with that!

I thought their HydroFILL product pretty cool:
http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/store/hydrofill.htm
hydrofill02.jpg

The HydroFILL is a "world-first" small-scale home hydrogen station that allows consumers or retailers/distributors to refill solid state canisters in a simple way, using water and electricity as only input. By adding water, and plugging the HydroFILL into a electrical wall-socket (or a solar panel), consumers can generate hydrogen and store it in a solid form automatically in HydroSTIK cartridges. Once full, the battery-like "solid-state"HydroSTIKs can be unplugged from the HydroFILL and placed into the MiniPak (or other fuel cell devices) to deliver power via a USB port.

...although output is too small perhaps for ebiker needs... but of course there are larger generators available... eg one square foot of counter space to produce 1.2L/min:
359397-0m.jpg

loCk

Back