HP Computer Upgrade

markz

100 TW
Hello, I have a HP Pavillion 6745f desktop with a measly 300W power supply. 4GB DDR2 Ram in the PC2-5300/PC2-6400, dual core 2.6Ghz AM2/AM2+ but can upgrade to quadcore, Front side bus speeds: Up to 5200MT/s (5.2 GT/s), Expansion Slots: 1 PCI Express x16 graphics card slot and 3 PCI Express x1 slots, 320gb sata at 3gb/s and 7200rpm, all in a midsize atx.

So I just went out and bought a EVGA Geforce gtx 650 requires 400W psu and one 6-pin pci express power connector or two available hard disc power connectors. Went over to memoryexpress computer parts store and the guy said HP computers need HP psu's. I havent opened the case up yet to look for the 6 pin connectors or hd power connectors. But I googled and found Toms Hardware forum and a guy with same computer had a response saying 6745f doesnt have 6 pin connector. I might be hooped for upgrading the Radeon HD3200 onboard video card. The only reason I am doing the upgrade is that World of Tanks is bogging down and lagging hard, unenjoyable to play, the kid just loves the game, Im getting bored of it at times. I got the card for $80 with sale and rebate.

So besides the graphics issue of 6 pin, is there a difference in finding a quad core vs dual core or is that more for image/video uses.

I was considering upgrading ram from four 1gb cards, to one 4gb card and three 1gb cards of course all the same specs. 5300 or 6400.

This system is running on Vista which I know is old, so I am going to hold off until the new windows comes out next year and buy that. Even then I am going to have to go over my system to find out what will be compatable. The next problem I will run into is I have Office 2007, how am I going to "move" that when I will have to do a fresh install of the new windows o/s. I already know windows 7 and 8/8.1 needs a fresh complete install, no upgrading. I doubt even Office 2007 will be compatable with the new Windows 9 or 10 whatever their going to name it. I heard they are skipping over 9, but who knows.

Yeah I think thats all the questions I have. Its a 2007 model, just use the system for multiple Internet website use (a few forums like this, youtube, world of tanks, other basic web sites and the odd online game like Desktop Tower Defense 1.5 that I notice bogs down the sytsem as well but very excellent game non-the-less, Office Word, Office Excel. Usually sometimes got all those going at the same time. Either playing World of Tanks straight, going to main menu stopping and working on other things.

Is Chrome a good internet program to use, is it better then Mozilla FireFox? Why are those 2 better then IE?

Thanks for the help!

Oh I also just wanted to ask, I have a 320gb hd with and the motherboard has sata 2. I looked at the memoryexpress website, can only buy sata 3 ssd's. Can I hook it up and be good to go? Would it be best to install the new o/s on the ssd? and have the slave 320gb? and install any rigorous memory programs on the ssd?

I would assume there are some knowledgable computer users on here. I tried to post on Toms Hardware, but couldnt. I think I tried to post on a solved thread. Might try again posting my own thread subject.

Have you priced how cheap a new HP is, with quad core, 4 of memory, and a terabyte of HD?

On the other hand, you'll really love the transition to windows 8. :roll: You could still keep your old but goodie up and running too, since old monitors are so cheap.

My thoughts - Windows 7 is good. Windows 8 seems to be better suited for a touch screen. Using a mouse with Windows 8 is frustrating.

More Ram is good. As to graphic cards, I have no knowledge. Building your own computer from parts is fun. I like http://www.microcenter.com/ if there is one near you? Real humans to help you figure out what works with what.

Forget about Microsoft Office. Use http://www.libreoffice.org/ Its just as good or better. And its FREE!

For a low price new computer look for Refurbished Windows 7 Computer.

Well I think my father who uses this computer for work, needs Microsoft Office, otherwise OpenOffice is a good one as well.

markz said:
Yeah I think thats all the questions I have.
If I wanted to know how to install a freewheel at the bottom bracket to make a mid-drive ebike, I'd ask in Tom's Hardware computer forum. Sometimes you have to re-cast your question clearly or in a different board because the bottom-bracket people over there are a picky bunch. And if I needed to know the relative merits of Lipo vs NiMH, I might go to Comparing Dual-Core vs. Quad-Core CPUs. And finally, when I need to know when a BMS should cutoff the load, I'd go to Which Browser is Best? Chrome vs. Firefox vs. Internet Explorer. But in that case, it would depend on what my syncing (assuming I were doing it with the cellphone) was setup for.

Back