hpm5000B and KLS7230S Kelly controller settings / high temp shut off

pdilandro

1 µW
hello

I was looking for some assistance with my setup tuning and or cooling options for the electric quad conversion I completed.
I have a trx90 quad powered by 8 Dewalt batteries and the combination of the air cooled Golden motors HPM5000B and Kelly controller KLS7240S.

The current controller settings and some photos are below.
The issue I am having is on hills and after aggressive riding the motor will gain temperature and shut down.
Any input to make sure i am running the correct settings would be appreciated. My hope was to get the most of the motor torque and power wise.

If the settings are correct has anyone had any success improving the cooling to enable it to run at its potential?

2023-09-25 KLS settings.png

IMG_1215.jpgIMG_2066.jpgIMG_2067.jpg
Much appreciated

Paul

Hi. I don’t know do you have temperature sensor in motor? And is it connected to controller?
If yes, in this case I do not recommend to you put higher temperature protection settings of motor. Too high already.

It is more likely that the shutdown is due to the controller overheating.

The fact is that for the last 2-3 years, instead of Japanese mosfets (Toshiba), Kelly began installing Chinese ones (MagnaChip) whose Rds are worse and, accordingly, the heating is greater, and the efficiency of the controller is worse.

You can check this by unscrewing the front four screws on the panel of controller with the red/green LED's , then take a few photos of the mosfets markings with macro/zoom photos and please post them here.

At the same time, you can check that the membrane is properly glued to the small excess pressure release hole, which prevents water from getting inside the controller. Sometimes it’s bad glued.

When you put the panel back, coat the edges of panel with silicone.

This settings of internal temperature protection of controller is impossible to change from Kelly's Apps or "Motor ETS". But possible from DIY project like mine
One of Kelly KLS temperature protection logic is: By default KLS controller starting linearly reduce out power from 65 celsius degrees up to 100 degrees. On 100 celsius degrees controller will shutdown output and show you overheat error.
But truly said, it’s not good idea to make cut off(100 degrees) parameter higher. You must improve cooling of controller.

Truly said… You just need more powerful controller or just try to reduce “Phase(motor) current” or “Battery current", but in this case you will lose power/torque.

Last edited:
Back