Implementation of the LTC7000 (150V high side driver)

methods

1 GW
Here is thedatasheet for the LTC7000

If this makes your mind hurt, start with the LTC7001
(Same thing, less features, fewer pins)

We are going to go with the LTC7000

We are going to run (the equivalent of) 8pcs of IRFB4115
4 of those will be in parallel to control discharge
4 will be in parallel to control charge

This chip will allow us to run our uController (Arduino...) at 3.3V to conserve power (target of 10uA system total)

There are a lot of features... so lets look at them slowly.

LTC7000.png

In this simplified diagram... (ignore most of the pins) we see that our (in this case) Battery attaches to the upper left corner to Vin, then drives through a shunt, through our Nchannel Power fet (or fets in our case) and out to the load. The circuit will work for just about any input... so it should span 4S to 28S without any issues.

Sizing the Shunt:
I would like to be able to rate the circuit at 125V 80A continuous for a nice clean 10KW (or 10hp after efficiency)
(No... you dont get the extra 250W... that goes to heat. Yes, there are 746KW to a HP.... but there are 254 really hot reasons why you only get 1HP out of 1KW)

So - 10HP sure sounds like a lot... but we are doing it with 125V so we only have to handle 80A
Heat goes up with the square of current while using a shunt... so calculations (and not eyeballing) is a requirement.

The LTC7000 expects to see 0V to 75mV... this is fairly standard.
The LTC then multiplies this voltage by a scaling factor of 20 and presents it to your uController in the form of 0V to 1.5V

We are using a Atmega328P with 10bit ADC's on 3.3V... so 2^10 = 1024 bits of resolution
A bit of resolution (depending on our Vrev.... lets assume 3.3V...) is 3.3V/1024 = 3.2mV
1.5V/3.2mV = ~466 steps out of our available 1024

80A equates to 75mV... so we are almost at a mV per amp (Maybe I should make them match ;) <Dont fall into that trap - it all gets converted to bits anyway>
937.5uV equates to 1 amp through our circuit
18.75mV is what that will resolve as at the LTC output (1 amp)
So we get 5.86 steps per amp (pretty good!) or a resolution of 171mA across an 80A span
1% of 80A is 800mA

I would say we have sufficient resolution yes?

Now to the resistance value we use to achieve this.

I = 80A
V = 75mV
R must equal 937.5mOhms (again...) which cleans up nice to a 1mOhm shunt

Now... we got pretty specific there... but now we will back out, standardize values, calculate shunt power, and tune for triggers.
The math above was just to show us that with about a mOhm we would have WAY more resolution than we need.
We want our TRIP levels to be significantly higher than our running levels.

20mV is the default trip level
This can be set as high as 75mV

Since we want to actually use this current sensing input in our uController ... we are going to scale things such that the trip current is windowed while still allowing for resolution down low.

So far, pins we care about:

16 SNS +
15 SNS -
(this is where we read the actual shunt value)

10 iMon
(this is where we get the 20x output to our uController ADC)

Here we can see the pin used for setting trip levels
iSet.png

9 iSet
(If pin 9 is left open or over 2V then trip level defaults to 30mV)

You may be wondering what will happen when it trips?
well... in a minute we will attach a capacitor to the Timer input to set this delay time (and we will set it LONG). Then the circuit retries.

So - on point... lets calculate why it is that we dont want to use 1mOhm

P = I^2 * R
I = 80 A
R = 0.001 Ohms

So, P = 6.4Watts

Uh... Huston... we have a problem

SIX POINT FOUR WATTS

Now... I have been beating Ebikers over the head for YEARS trying to explain why power on the shunt must be respected and how power goes up with the square of current.
I swear nobody listens... but anyway...

So 6.4W will get that thing up to 65C and burn the crap out of your finger in no time. If you dont believe me... hook it up and try it. Even if you have a HUGE shunt - its still lame.
Yes - I understand this is the stock value in a CA... but the real average current there is 20A to 40A... so... 30A produces less than a watt... which is a BIG difference.

Got it (again :D )

So we want to dump less over the shunt
Best bet is to grab a part off the shelf and work around it.

An HONEST 100A is very different than a BURSTY 100A

This is the kind of bulk you are looking at: https://www.google.com/search?q=100...j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=100a+75mv+shunt

If... you want to produce 75mV
If we are willing to produce... say 30mV... and halve our resolution (which we are) then we can start getting somewhere.

1 amp of resolution is more than enough.
Call that 2 bits of resolution for quest... so 6.4mV... divide that by 20.... 320uA.... multiply by 100A as our trigger... and... we get 32mV
(pure luck - but not really)

So... we leave the iSet pin high, set threshold to 30mV, trip on 100A (for X milliseconds)
We get about half an amp of resolution... call it 1 amp
Thats well below the actual error of the system (which is ALWAYS 5% to 10%...) so good.

Now - 32mV/100A = 320uOhm shunt
Thats 3.2W peak
For 80A thats 2 watts (meh! still super high!)

Like I said... we should find a shunt and tune to it.
We can see... that something on the order of 100uOhms is more like where we will and and we will have somewhat poor current resolution... but enough to detect CHARGE, DISCHARGE, and IDLE yes?

Enough to terminate a charge current that is too high for our Crating Yes?
Give or take an amp... who cares...
Hook an 80A charger to a battery that can only charge at 20A... and you will see the point.

So - to be safe we overrate resistors in the power line by 10X
4X is getting close (think reflow... bad readings as they heat up... we want a LINEAR response)

For lack of time.... (and we could just double up components...) here is an off the cuff selection

300uOhms
10Watts
$2.60
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMtlleCFQhR/zWACB43HKDa1Flaoo0DE1j0=

You can no doubt do better... but thats what I am going with.

80A will produce 2 watts
Thats 5X margin

1 amp will produce 6mV at our uController ADC... and that is better than an amp of resolution.

100A will produce an excitation voltage of 30mV... and now we can leave that iSet pin open instead of trying to lay a resistor in there.

Now... to tune the hysteresis:

But first... it WOULD BE WISE to put a low pass filter on this shunt - as shown here:

LPF.png

Experience tells me to do it.. but I am going to let it fly and see what happens.
I will hack them one by one in the field if noise becomes an issue... or catch it on a redesign
If this were coming out of a board house... sure... populate them... or at least lay pads for the cap and a shorting pad for the resistor

So - Fault Timer

Timer.png

Looks like 100nF (which is 0.1uF) will give us a nice long 1.4 MILLI second overshoot window
Eh... this would protect us from overshoot... but it would also false trigger constantly

So - re-evaluation

We want to detect short circuit levels of current
We want to stop our user from overheating the mosfets
We can protect the mosfets from overheating with temp probes... but for REAL HIGH currents they will pop before we can catch them.

We must not false trip...
And... now that RC filter on the shunt is starting to sound more important :D

So - hows about we bump the actual limit way up over 60mV... to 75mV... so something over 200A
Then... we can use the uController reading to blow open if the average current is exceeded.

Sigh... ya see... you cant have your cake and eat it too.
If we want to accurately measure current we should do so with an external hall sensor.
This resistor should be used only for detecting EXTREME over current like a short circuit

(we are learning here... things are not always as simple and clear as they seem)

So... what kind of noise currents should we expect with a circuit that is connected and precharged and in duty from 12V to 125V... at constant currents up to 80A with bursts to 200A or 300A?

No frigging idea.
Its most likely to trip on connect... but we will Precharge that...
All depends on the system.

Ok - so what kind of current clearly indicates that something is MEGA FUBAR and that we should KILL IT quick?

10X for sure... so 800A
Not really sure I want to find out what 800A looks like for 1.4mS... eh...

User wants to see 80A continuous with 200 - 300A bursts
Lets call 500A a short circuit and leave the time window long for now.

Stretching out our window to 75mV again...

Meh... I want cake and I want to eat it and I want high resolution cake...

@ 300uOhms we trip at 250A

ok... ok... so folks who want to run OVER 80 amps are just going to have to use this totally overbuilt mosfet section to run an External Gas Filled Contactor.
Over it.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

We will call that 250A our burst trigger limit and set it to a super slow 1.4mS
We will be happy with our sub 1A resolution from 0A to 250A
We will tune FAULT C as needed in actual testing
Folks wishing to exceed 200A... even for a second or two... will be steered toward contactor drive

K... whats next?
Food. Been doing this for 12 hours.

-methods

Ok... back at it.

Bill of Materials and layout considerations so far:

NOTE: This is where the ugly comes out... where you see after reading closely that nearly every pin needs an external component even tho the pretty pictures do not imply this :roll:

Pin 1
RUN Pin
Active low... to the uC... can shut down the circuit to less than 1uA

Pin 2
Vin - needs a 150V 0805 0.1uF or better to ground

Pin 3
Vcc... needs a 150V 0805 1uF to Ground

Pin 4
Vccuv
Leave open... or stuff it to ground with 140k... assures gate voltages over 7V

Pin 5
FAULT
Active low output telling you that you are locked up. Send it to the uC

Pin 6
TIMER Pin
0.1nf - 100nF ceramic caps in 0805. 5V should work, to ground
That will give us 1.4mS short detection and a 2.5 second "check yo self" delay.

Pin 7
INP,
our input from the uC.

Pin 8
OVLO
Over voltage lockout... tie it to ground

Pin 9
iSet Pin
Resistor of 150K, 0805, 10uA to ground
This will set the trigger to a maximum of 75mV for our 250A short circuit protection

Pin 10
Imon
Our 20X output to the uC ADC to read current

Pin 11
TGDN... pull down for the gate, keep it fast

Pin 12
TGUP... Pull up for the gate, add an inline to slow it down... lay an 0805 with a shorting pad. Values 20K to 100K for slow start.
You can dangle a cap off this to slow things further, cap must be rated for 150V, 4.7uF, and you need to add more cap to the bootstrap pin to compensate.

Pin 13
TS
goes between the mosfets as floating reference. The Gate Voltage rides on this.

Pin 14
BootStrapCap
Between BTS and TS - typically 0.1uF but we need to drive 4pcs trench fet
0805 and it will see only 12V... but bouncing around on over 140V... eh... Guess I will start with a 20V and see if it pops.
Qg (total gate charge) on the 4115 is 120nC max... times 4 - so 480nC
They recommend 10X - so 4.8uF - so lets call it a 10uF 0805 in highest voltage in the bin

Pin 15
Rsense -
Our 300uOhm shunt terminates here

Pin 16
Rsense +

Cfilter and Rfilter for optional LPF on Shunt (REQUIRED?)
If so R<250ohms - so whatever 0805 I have in the bin
I would imagine a small cap to keep response times fast. .01uF, 5V, 0805 (this RC would be tuned to system noise at time of false trigger)
We will lay 0805 pads for the cap and resistor... and in parallel to the resistor a "shorting pad set" to omit the resistor

Ack that was a lot...

Now it may look like I just copied the data sheet over to this forum and wasted my time eh?

No... Along the way there are many lessons in a datasheet. Glancing at the picture, slamming together a PCB, then waving away the smoke and disappointment after it does not work... is not how I do it. At the VERY LEAST doing an exercise like this makes you aware of the errata that you missed so that if you eventually do end up chasing your ass... you know where to look first. Good example.... the cap on Vin, the resistor that brings up the minimum gate voltage, the filter for the shunt... How about the slope control on the gate drive?

These things will become apparent when I strap 125V charger to this thing... hook it up to an 87V battery... then start slamming that 40V difference with 50 amps...
Or when we take that 125V battery and start chugging 80A out of it and try to blow open under load.
We will see.

So tired... Gotta get this done. Right, the first time.

Well... I feel pretty damn secure about this chip now. Too bad its such a crap package... not looking forward to setting that on the board.

-methods

Part 3

Edit... no part three... please.. no part three :x

Its time to start making Eagle Parts.
I have this chip pretty much dialed... so to assure non-failure... I will go ahead and pop all that extra crap and buy some margin.

Going to need a Karate Kid to help populate these... going to take fo EVA

-methods

Slept on it... as I always do.
Found a few weak points.

1) The Shunt is only going to read in the forward direction (Discharge) so we will get no data about charge current. If we were to fly blind like that then our only metric for identifying "Charge Current Too High" would be to watch the rate of change of the cells vs Temperature. Meh... rather just watch current.

One of "My" requirements for this BMS is that someone can hook up almost any charger to the battery and "it will be fine".
Imagine walking up to a 12S battery, and in a pinch, attaching a 24S charger with a CC of 10A
Other than the inrush noise ... 10A CC is 10A ... and until the first cells reach 4.2V the battery really does not know the difference.

NOW... that is ABOUT THE MOST IRRESPONSIBLE AND DANGEROUS THING YOU CAN DO WITH MODERN LITHIUM BATTERIES... as small failure in the BMS WILL, (not "could"), WILL result in epic smoke and fire.

SO - I am not going to specify the pack for it, I am certainly not going to recommend it, but I am going to try to harden against in for my own use cases.

Well - its time to check and see if we met requirements.
We fell short in a few places

-methods

Back