Integrated battery box build success and disappointment

auraslip

10 MW
This is the culmination of five threads; How to build a 50MPH Ebike ebook, suspension forks, handling with different wheel sizes, lockable control box, and frames suitable for battery boxes.

YrdIQl.jpg

Quick stats:

33 mph at 48v and 41mph at 72v with SLA booster pack.
30 mile range at top speed. 50 mile range at 20 mph.
Forced air cooling through angled PVC pipes on battery and controller boxes.
Water proof box for power, light, and speed switches.
Integrated charger.

Frame: 22" aluminum moutain frame from performance bike
Fork: Marzochi 140mm travel 44 RLO
Brakes: avid bb7
Motor: Ebikekit.com rear 9c 2806
Cycle analyst: ebike.ca
Wiring & connects: hobbyking

Geometry; Frame choice and wheel sizes:

I chose the largest most open frame I could buy in order to fit my 48v20ah ping, charger, and dc-dc converter in the triangle. Such a large frame for a 6' tall guy has a large stand over height, so I decided on a 24" wheel in the back and a 26" wheel in the front. This combined with a 140mm travel suspension fork (the frame calls for a 100mm travel) increases the trail of the bike substantially, and is supposed to give stability at higher speeds. However the bike is still too tall. There is no way I can put the seat up high enough to comfortably pedal, and still touch the ground. This also means the ride is rougher because all my weight is on the saddle instead of through the natural shock absorbers of my legs. Additionally the bike at 6.5" wide the battery box is to wide. It too interferes with pedaling, and because I have to spread my legs makes it harder to stand over. There is nothing I can do to make the box thinner as I am for now constrained by the 6" width of my battery pack.

I have to criticize greasypants and his ebook, "55 MPH ebike" for this. His bike is no pedal, and as such he can build the box wide and leave the seat low. A no pedal bike is not for me though as I like the exercise, extra range, and safety from the law that a hybrid bike has. I will say that his book is great, and has guided me through the battery box building process.

Pros:
:arrow: Easy to fit battery in such large frame.
:arrow: Lots of tire clearance with 24" wheel.
:arrow: Improved handling?

Cons:
:arrow: To wide to comfortably pedal.
:arrow: Hard to stand over at stop lights.
:arrow: Less regen braking power due to smaller rear wheel.
:arrow: Smaller rear wheel means it's harder to pedal at speeds.
:arrow: At high speeds the handling seems twitchy. I push left and the wheel quickly snaps back to the right.

Fixes:
:arrow: 20" wheels.
:arrow: New thinner battery pack and battery box.
:arrow: Smaller frame?
:arrow: pedal extenders

Battery and controller boxes:
I was sick of leaving my $800 battery in my trunk bag. Not only was it unprotected from the elements, thieves, and crashes, but it the high center of gravity and position so far back severely messed up the handling of the bike. Basically I stole the design for my battery box from greasypants' book. He is a skilled wood worker. The only wood I've ever worked is my ow........ Annnnnnyways it was the harderst part for me. It took many hours, and I'm still not happy with the quality of the box. Next time I may pay a carpenter.
frFk1l.jpg

The side panels are 1/4" oak, and the main triangle is 1/2" oak. I don't believe the 1/2" oak is needed as the main weight of the battery is on the bike frame. However I couldn't find 1/4" wood screws.
Cvsiil.jpg

I used 90 and 45 degree pvc bends for airflow and as a rain proof cabling soloution. Air goes in, but rain (hopefully) doesn't.
HwUW6l.jpg

I should of made the box for my massive 18 fet lyen controller to be larger. I only gave an inch of room in the box for wires. As a consequences most of the wires are hanging out side the box now.
IB0KJl.jpg

1/4" wood shims and rubber used for for car doors are used to hold the battery tight. Note how I arranged the shims so the battery would get airflow of most of it's body.
I'm not going to show you the battery and wiring installed because I am embarrassed. I couldn't remove the battery and control from my old bike because it was my main ride. As such I did as much wiring ahead of time as I could. Don't do this. I wasted time, and gave WAaaaaaaay to much slack in some cables and not enough in others. It's very messy.

Waterproof lockable control Box:
pHzkUl.jpg

Pros:
:arrow: It's waterproof!
:arrow: It looks cool with LED!
:arrow: All the switches work as planned!

Cons:
:arrow: It's to big and interferes with pedaling.
:arrow: I'll probably never lock it up, which was the main reason I couldn't get a smaller box. To lock it.
:arrow: I drilled the holes for the PVC nipple mounting solution off so the box is slightly crooked.
:arrow: The massive switch for the charger is unnecessary. All I needed was to wire a pre-spark resistor between the charger lead and the charger. This way I could use a simple 10amp switch just by plugging the charger in before I flipped the switch.
:arrow: The massive main power key switch is to larger. I had to cut it down, and now it looks crappy and feels flimsy.
:arrow: Cigarette lighter doesn't get hot enough to light a smoke.

Other:
The kick stand didn't reach the ground with the new frame. I love/hate this kickstand. It didn't come with any mounting hardware, it rubbed the rear derailleur cable on my old bike, and it comes loose all the time.
I had to shim it with some scrap metal.
TBufzl.jpg

A major pain in the ass. Even with locktite I still can't get it tight enough for it not to shift.

kLIQNl.jpg

The light is a fog light from wal-mart I painted. Search my history for more info.
uMYJEl.jpg

Except for the ability to comfortably pedal, my new bike is superior in every way. That doesn't mean I'm not already planning on a thinner box with headway cells, and smaller wheels. I'm not content with the final product, but I'm happy with what I've learned.

I have to admit that's the most massive shim job I've ever seen.

Regarding the batt and control boxes, my attitude is if it's function and you learned something to improve next time, then it's worth the effort. Also, until you get it to the height you need, then you get to learn a new skill, balancing on 2 wheels while stationary. I'm sure you've wanted to know how anyway, so here's your big chance. :mrgreen:

John

Yeah it's like 2" with 1/6" aluminum :(

It's so sloppy. I need to jb weld them all together and ruff up the top and bottom shim to prevent them from moving.

Yeah maybe I should get some training wheels =)

Still pretty nice! Mabye you can find some bit of steel to make a better shim, like a short piece of 1.5" pipe? Or even have some rebar welded to the ends of the stand.

Good advice about the pipe dogman.
How to fit a sunlite double kickstand to any size bike.
banJU.jpg

I found the hardware at lowes...
BLOEz.jpg

1 spacer, 5" full threaded bolt, various washers, and two 3/8 nuts.

The smallest washers and nuts go inside the spacer to keep it center. The small washers had to be drilled out. Perhaps this is unnecessary, but at this i'm fine with overkill at this point ;)

Thread locker is a must. Put it on the spacer nuts, and the kickstand and five inch bolt.

Originally I used fender washers, but they bent.
Nr6Wc.jpg

0oPdH.jpg

The front wheel is now an inch of the ground! If I push down on the front, the back wheel lifts off the ground! Perfect for tuning brakes, and truing the wheels.

kickstands,i dont usually get along well with them :evil: .but good build -tank like.

StF8Yl.jpg

:arrow: I had to move it because the wheel would strike the controller box during hard braking. It's very dangerous because it can cause the wheel to lock up, and it was destroying the box. Now I can take full advantage of my fork and run it at low and medium PSI!

:arrow: Amberwolf said I should put the controller behind the seat tube. I thought he was joking, but with 24" tires even my huge controller fits with ample room.

:arrow: Controllers are pretty much rainproof, but I was mostly worried about theft. However they have no black market value, and virtually no one knows what they are worth. I think it's safe there.

:arrow: It only took an hour to make the brackets and do a rattle can job. Surprisingly it took an hour just managing all the excess wires! I used probably fifteen zip ties setting it up right.

Put the bike together and test for clearance before suspending anything from the downtube. Assemble all electronics before running wiring.

We got fenders!

gEjY5.jpg
f076D.jpg
bbJeP.jpg

I had to cut a bit out with the dremel. When I get a 24" front wheel, I'll mount the fender between the fork and wheel. If I brake to hard, it squishes the fender now. No beuno.

I fixed all problems: handles decently at low speeds - no wheel shake at high speeds

I built up a 24" wheel (there are no 24" pre-built disc wheels) I took a rim off a friends junk department store bike, and a disc hub off a similar bike. I had to order custom spokes because the disc hub was a different size then the original hub laced to the 24" rim. All in all It cost me $15 for spokes - $5 for hub - $15 for new CST Cyclops tire - $5 for a new tube. I'm lucky enough to be part of a community bike shop. Otherwise the hub and rim would of cost much more.

This is just a temporary solution though. My next build will be with 20" bike rims, and 16" motorcycle tires. I'll good quality rims and hubs as well.

Back