Jorad's 2 seater trike build log and questions.

Jorad

1 µW
Hey all!
I'm Jorad! I've been lurking and I finally got 4-1/2 bikes to cut apart and build my 2 seater trike. I am planning on using:

Motor:
Turnigy 80-100-A 180Kv Brushless Outrunner (eq: 70-55)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5139&Product_Name=Turnigy_80-100-A_180Kv_Brushless_Outrunner_%28eq:_70-55%29

ESC:
Turnigy Monster-2000 200A 4-12S Brushless ESC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10332

and a few a123-M1 cells like in this post: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2498
My problem is I know I want ~30-48v but I have no clue as to the whole parallel vs series configuration.
I was planning on getting a couple of the cordless drill battery packs and just have docks that I could pop them into without having to modify the battery itself. That way I could use the original charger for them.

I'm still working on the 3-d model of my trike (not technical just for approximation) and I was wondering if there was anything else I needed in the construction of this. Have I missed anything, can I use a less beefy ESC? I thought I read about having to add a hall effect sensor seeing as this is an outboard motor, would I?

One other thing I need to know is what kind of drive system do I have to use. I originally thought I could just hook the motor up to a sprocket for a chain or a belt and go. Now I'm not sure.

I apologize if some of this has been covered, I have used the search function since I joined but there are literally hundreds of pages to wade through to get answers and most of the time they are conflicting.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to sharing with everyone what I have built.

A bit more reading goes a long way! I think I've figured out the whole XsYp conundrum. Lets say I were to get a bunch of a123 cells to make my battery. Each cell is 3.3V and I want 40V lets say. The way to do it would be 40/3.3 = 12.1212.... therefore 12 cells in series would be 39.6V with 2.3Ah. Now if I wanted to stay at 39.6V but increase my Ah to say 6.9Ah by wiring 3 of these in parallel I would then have a 12s3p battery pack correct?

Here is the big question I have now though.... how do I charge it?

Hello, I have a 12s3p a123 pack, that I charge with a meanwell s-350 36v power supply tweaked for 43v out, and one shunt cut. It charges nicely at 7.5 amps like that, and will do it all day long if needed. You would also want to have a bms or a balancer, enven if the cells stay well in balance if you don't discharge past 5ah... I don't have a balancer or a bms, and I must say that manually managing cells is a pain, and takes really long!
I'm looking forward for your project, as I fab a trike also!

The one suggestion I would have is the controller. Various people have mentioned sync issues with that controller. You really cannot skimp on the controller. The only controller that seems to be truely stable for bike use is the Castle Creations HV160.

Matt

Well thanks for the replies guys! I had seen a post talking about the castle creations controller but I never really took a look at them I'll be sure to check it out. I'm not trying to become an expert with e-bikes and the such, thats why I came here. I just wanted to learn a bit about them and try my hand at making my own. I really value your guys input as I've seen that ES knows what it's talking about.

bzhwindtalker said:
Hello, I have a 12s3p a123 pack, that I charge with a meanwell s-350 36v power supply tweaked for 43v out, and one shunt cut. It charges nicely at 7.5 amps like that, and will do it all day long if needed. You would also want to have a bms or a balancer, even if the cells stay well in balance if you don't discharge past 5ah... I don't have a balancer or a bms, and I must say that manually managing cells is a pain, and takes really long!
I'm looking forward for your project, as I fab a trike also!

What would you recommend for a BMS or balancer? I've heard a123s over discharge very easily and that would defiantly be something that I would want to avoid.

My experience says that lugging an RC ESC destroys the ESC. With two people on the bike, you opportunity to lug the ESC is greatly increased. I recommend that you take a good look at sensored controllers.

Bubba

What is lugging exactly? Also if this is going to be a problem what ESC do you recommend?

Back