Justin's FOC Sinewave Controller Status Plus Some Info

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

Justin was kind enough to answer a couple of questions via email, and give me permission to post his replies:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49583&p=739436&#p738781

justin_le said:
The past few days have been really awesome but before going into that I'll first want to finish the project build details.

One of the more exciting pieces of gear being field tested is a high power modded 6-mosfet sinusoidal field oriented motor controller (FOC) that we've been developing with Accelerated Systems of Waterloo, Ontario. They have a nicely compact stock controller in production called the BAC 500 that we were looking to carry as a sophisticated higher-end ebike controller. FOC controllers have current sensors on the phase leads rather than a shunt on the overall battery current, and as a result they can run 3-phase hub motors super smooth by controlling the individual phase currents for almost no torque ripple. Plus it has proportional regenerative braking, dual sensored and sensorless operating modes etc. There are hundreds of parameters available to tweak through ASI's "bacdoor" software which made it a dream project controller to play with.

BAC500.gif

However, in our testing they would get hot very fast at the power levels that we tend to deal with. Just a minute or two before hitting controller thermal rollback. Part of that was due to the the sinusoidal drive having more switching losses than a traditional trapezoidal drive, but the mosfets were also high resistance 10mOhm devices, the internal bus capacitors were pretty minimal too and generated heat from the ripple currents. And finally, the tiny enclosures provided little heat capacity to absorb energy and relatively little surface area from which to get rid of it. So for ~250W setups they'd be fine, but not the 500-1000W range we needed to run.

So we had ASI do a board revision with 2.5 mOhm 100V mosfets and modified gate drive circuitry, and promised we would look after the cable harness and enclosure details. For the enclosure design, we wanted to make room for additional bus capacitance, a precision shunt for the Cycle Analyst connector, and most importantly come up with a form factor that would fit nicely to the tubes of a bicycle. We also wanted it to be fairly manufacturable by CNC so that it would be conceivable to do small scale production runs in-house if this really worked out
file.php

Here it is with the ASI controller circuitry inside. You can see the extra room on the right which provides room to fit an external bus capacitor and the CA shunt (neither of which were wired up yet in this photo):
file.php

And the finished lid we also wanted to seal tight around the cable ports so that we could make it all watertight. The white LED hole at the top is also a breathable membrane vent, so that as the controller heats and cools the pressures can equalize without risk of drawing water through the wiring.
file.php

And on the underside, we had a channel machined down the middle so that it self-aligns when zip tied to any tubular object, allowing it to attach easily anywhere on the bike frame:
file.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nicobie said:
That thing is tiny! Any idea of the watts your version can handle?

I've got mine set to 60A phase current limit and 40A battery current limit, so it's able to do 1400-1600 watts off the line OK, but on any substantial hill it will hit thermal rollback towards the top and drop back to more like 1000 watts. It really depends a lot on the extent of air cooling available. We were initially doing all of our testing with these on our bench dynamo with the controller sitting in still air, and kept being disappointed by the results even with all the power tweaks with better fets etc. But once we put a fan nearby for even a modest 10-15 kph steady airflow over the controller the thermal dissipation increased by nearly a factor of 4. There is a tendency for people to want to tuck their controller inside a bag or chassis or somewhere out of site, so a key goal in our enclosure design was to make it look attractive with inline wiring, so you are more inclined to mount it easily on the frame of the bike where it is most likely to get exposure to airflow while moving. Here's where mine is at under the downtube, although mounted right on the front stem would be most ideal:
file.php
Mitch-email-to-Justin said:
When do you expect this Controller to be available?

What are the chances of you producing a version that can handle something like 36-80V, and something like 60-100A sustained? If you don't intend to do that how hard would it be to do that ...?
Justin-reply-via-email said:
...mostly it just has to do with time and resources and trying to do too many projects at once so we've shelved that to put focus on a few other things that were further along.

That would just require a 12 mosfet model. We've actually been sitting on the 50pcs of 6-mosfet high power modded BAC PCB's for 2 months now but have been too backlogged with other projects to machine the enclosures for them, but once we do then we'll see what are plans are with it.

We can also get sinusoidal firmware on the infineon controllers for a lot cheaper, but that's not the same as a true FOC control and they don't run in a sensorless mode that way, while the ASI units work great sensored and sensorless even at very high eRPMs once they are tuned appropriately.

Cool! As a proud owner of the 186th adaptto controller I'm still very happy with my purchase especially as I will make use of it's dc-dc and charging functions, not to mention very high power output beyond what Justin intends. But for the many who want torque assist, don't need as much power, already have a CA... this is perfect! And perhaps a little easier to mount on a tubular frame. I would definitely consider one for my upright bike if I ever convert it!

I do like the idea of true FOC, as hall sensors are not necessary in that system... but I have dual halls and sensorless mode so I don't care :)

Very exciting indeed. That custom ASI controller in the CNC housing looks to be TINY!

amberwolf said:
Mm....how do we apply for beta testing? :lol:

Hopefully he'll open it up to us guys already testing his Cycle Satiator. I've been drooling over these things since his Maker Faire trip last year.

As far as I'm aware, unless you want to go to the time and trouble to build up a 500W Lebowski box there's currently nothing in the market that will let you bring field-oriented control to anything smaller than 2-3kW power levels. It's great to see someone trying to rectify that, and I really hope the ASI partnership works out for you guys!

ARod1993 said:
As far as I'm aware, unless you want to go to the time and trouble to build up a 500W Lebowski box there's currently nothing in the market that will let you bring field-oriented control to anything smaller than 2-3kW power levels. It's great to see someone trying to rectify that, and I really hope the ASI partnership works out for you guys!
the controller in the thread is 28A battery at 100V, how does that work out to 500W ?

Lebowski said:
ARod1993 said:
the controller in the thread is 28A battery at 100V, how does that work out to 500W ?

My mistake; I was thinking about the current setup topping out around 1kW after thermal rollback, and figuring that 30A battery sustained on a 48V pack comes out to around 1400W. I meant to point out that something like this with adjustable currents would be a great cheap plug-and-play controller for people looking to run smaller, lower-voltage setups on the order of 500-1000W reliably. For setups running 2-3 kW or higher I'd rather just build one of your controllers, but given how your board is laid out and the size of your final controller box you'd wind up taking up a lot of extra space building a 500-1000W Lebowski box (or spending a pile of money on nice FETs to build a controller that you're never going to use anywhere near its actual limits); thus the ASI partnership fills a nice market niche.

tja, as far as form factor and building small and compact you cannot beat a professional company with money behind it... i just don't have the funds or the retail facility to warrant a run of 50 custom enclosures and an equal amount of SMD style PCB's

I've actually been considering sending Justin an e-mail asking for an estimated time of arrival on this product, mostly because I have been working on something similarish but may just drop the project if the release is due sometime soon (and depending on his pricing).

I don't know how big of a deal it is what the case material is used, but a large aluminum finned heatsink can be bought in many varieties and wouldn't need a radical amount of modification.

From there, I would design a 3D printable box that can, in some way, have the heatsink and box slide together paired with a bit of appropriate epoxy.

I know this isn't an incredibly innovative suggestion, but it may be a quicker, easier, and more cost effective one then machining out entire aluminum boxes.

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65031

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/controllers/c-bac500.html

Back