ktm freeride e-xc , ecu repair .

Hello everyone , I own a ktm freeride e-xc , it worked fine till 2 weeks ago when it gives the 51 error but just when I am pulling the throttle hard when riding , and then is limiting . I also have electronics skills , so I disassemble the ecu but did not find anything visible . My question is , did someone repair such a ecu , with the same problem . Thanks .

Last edited:
Hello everyone , I own a ktm freeride e-xc , it worked fine till 2 weeks ago when it gives the 51 error but just when I am pulling the throttle hard when riding , and then is limiting . I also have electronics skills , so I disassemble the ecu but did not find anything visible . My question is , did someone repair such a ecu , with the same problem . Thanks .
Hello Adrian. KTM says it is ECU fault and you have to reset the switch. Here we say very bad things for KTM and I start to believe it is right. KTM means "Κάθε Τετάρτη Μάστορα" that means the bad motorcycle needs repair every Wednesday.
Anyway, there are some fault cells in your battery. And the ECU detects some rappid voltage drop when you ask the battery for much power and goes to the safe mode, just to let you return home. So, you must open the battery and test every array of five 18650 to find the faulty one or more. Then you must change all 5/10/15 or so, batteries with new ones of the same Ah and discharge current.
Of course that happens only if your battery is almost new. If it has more than 500 charges, many cells will be near death, and you must change all 360 of them, something that costs nearly the price KTM sells a new one.
Anyway, when you open the battery, can you send me a photo of the upper part to find the route of a cable from the grey little relay on the top of the batteries?
And be careful. 300VDC is fatal.
Thanks and good luck. Manolis.

Back