Looking for UKC1 display software.

MangDav

10 mW
I use an UKC1 display and the wholesaler that I bought it from set their own custom logo as the boot up screen which I don't care about but they made the background white and it's frustrating when you turn it on it on at night and it just blinds the hell out of you. I seen a youtube video where someone had a different logo but the background was black so I started searching for the software for the display or a way to update the logo so I can make the boot up screen black or at the very least, change the background to black. I found the manual and the only mention about this is that the display can be updated using "UART" which is a protocol. I'm unsure if there's some sort of universal UART software that handles this sort of stuff? Wondering if anyone dealt with this before.

Salve a tutti volevo sapere ma il display ukc1 si può aggiornare perché guardando su internet ho visto che c'è una versione software aggiornata rispetto al mio

Salve a tutti volevo sapere ma il display ukc1 si può aggiornare perché guardando su internet ho visto che c'è una versione software aggiornata rispetto al mio
Please speak English as this is a primarily English speaking forum so we have to use Google Translate.

But to answer your question, yes it's possible to update the display but the tools and software are currently not public. The USB port on the display has no data lines, only 5v positive and negetive so the USB port can only be used for charging so I contacted UKRiver directly asking how can you update it and if I can get the software, I got no reply. I then contacted a wholesaler who offered the ability for them to customise the logo when you purchase the display which indicated to me that they have the software, they told me that they have a adapater that plugs into the display port/JST plug of the display and converts it into a USB plug which they then plug into a computer and use software to update it or upload a logo to it. They didn't want to provide a picture of the adapater or the software. My guess would be that there's probably some active circuit on the adapter that tells the display to go into some "update mode" where it will accept software inputs from RX line via USB.

Unfortunely even if a wholesaler provided the software, we would still not be able to use it as we don't have the JST to USB adapater which probably have some active circuitry on it. Someone could probably reverse engineer the software and adapater but I doubt anyone will any time soon.

As far as I know, the only way to get hands on the software and adapter is to purchase few dozen, maybe a hundred of these displays from UKRiver and they'll probably offer these tools to you which to an average person like you or me, is not worth it.

Last edited:
sorry for the language anyway thanks for the answer I was wondering if it could be updated because looking on the internet I realized I have an old software version without some settings anyway thanks again

More likely the hardware adaptor is just a USB to old fashioned serial at ttl levels - that’s all UART means in this context. It’s a super common piece of kit to have a usb to serial converter.

To do the update the display probably has what’s termed a bootloader. It means that when it first turns on it checks if there is a particular data string being sent on those pins, and if there is it then goes into a mode of receiving data and reprogramming itself.

I would suggest your issue is going to getting the bootloader software for the display. The hardware bit should be easy.

Back