Low-capacity battery to fit existing 13Ah Hailong Shark mount

dsjustice

10 mW
I built a full-suspension e-mtn bike using the Cycles.eco TSDZ2 kit, powered by their 52V 13Ah Hailong Shark battery (which looks like this). The bike rode and felt great, so I built a second one for my wife. It's now clear that the battery has about 5x the capacity we need for a typical trail ride, and is much heavier than we'd prefer -- it's a bit unpleasant trying to wheelie over a log with the extra 5kg of dead weight in the middle.

Are there smaller-capacity batteries that use the same mount? I've searched Amazon and AliExpress and haven't found anything.

If I'm looking at a building a custom battery, can you suggest a technical description for the battery case/base that I'd need to mate with the bike-side battery mount? "Hailong Shark 5-pin" doesn't seem to be quite specific enough.

That mounting plate only pairs with that model battery case. You can still get a same enclosure but much lighter one if you get one with less capacity / less cells.

I am 99% certain it's a SSE-077 model name.

Since tsdz2 has a built in controller, I'm baffled for their choice to include this battery type, I find them atrocious for mounting securely. If you're going to replace the battery, why not go for a model with an extended mounting plate for rigidity, and loose the space for the controller you're not using anyway? G56 offers so much more rigidity without having to use straps ( which I still would do ) and you don't need the extra capacity of the G70. edit: for my road bike any mount is fine ( as long as I don't crash which I don't plan to ). But for my mtb I know I am going down at some time probably sooner then later.

This is an Ali listing with the different battery casing and mounts -> https://nl.aliexpress.com/i/4001027425060.html
*scroll down to see images of the different mounting types.

Last edited:
Empty, earlier-style Hailong cases like yours are available, in which you could possibly insert one of the mini packs that are out there. Or, you could ditch the tray and mount the pack under the seat or in a small frame bag.

Empty, earlier-style Hailong cases like yours are available, in which you could possibly insert one of the mini packs that are out there. Or, you could ditch the tray and mount the pack under the seat or in a small frame bag.
Thanks for the link! I hadn't really considered mounting the small battery elsewhere, but on reflection, moving it aft might really help with rideability on difficult terrain.

That mounting plate only pairs with that model battery case. You can still get a same enclosure but much lighter one if you get one with less capacity / less cells. [snip]

Thanks very much for the links and model number! Very helpful.

I also obviously wish I'd chosen a different battery mount here, but FWIW I haven't yet had any concerns with the connection strength. I added an extra rivnut to hold the base on one bike, and a big ol' hose clamp on the other (carbon) frame, and they haven't budged through a number of (admittedly minor) wipeouts.

The OP may also want to look over this new, no-welding-required battery contruction method:

Back