Lyen 18FET 4110 instructions?

BrownJB

1 µW
Acquired pedal pub (Big Blue Pedaler | Lexington's Best Party Bike Rental and Tours) which uses an 184110ST-MII-LYEN.

There are some unmarked wires. Wondering if on might be a reverse switch.

Where can I get instructions and a wiring diagram please?

Also, is using CycleAnalyst v2.3. Have heard there is something more recent. Where can I get the most recent firmware and instructions on how to update?

May need to buy one of your USB connectors.

Thank You!
Jim <><

Last edited:
Acquired pedal pub (Big Blue Pedaler | Lexington's Best Party Bike Rental and Tours) which uses an 184110ST-MII-LYEN.

There are some unmarked wires. Wondering if on might be a reverse switch.

Where can I get instructions and a wiring diagram please?
You might find them on his website if it's still around
or there may be posts somewhere here on ES by various users describing or showing them. The link below lists just threads with his name in the title; there's probably more stuff buried in other threads:

Also, is using CycleAnalyst v2.3. Have heard there is something more recent. Where can I get the most recent firmware and instructions on how to update?
That's made by ebikes.ca , so everything you need is there, if it exists anywhere. ;)

What specific problem you must solve, or what specific feature or function that your system does not have, that requires you to update it?

Remember that on any device, updating its firmware changes it's functionality and requires you to set it all up over again, usually from scratch, and figure out how it all works now vs how it used to work. Almost always you will lose some functionality, or it will change it to be different from how it worked before, and that might not be a positive change for your specific usage scenario.

May need to buy one of your USB connectors.
We (the forum) don't make or sell anything, so there's nothing you can buy from us.

There is a for sale section, but none of the threads there are selling USB connectors.

I don't recommend posting your contact information on a forum in the clear, as it will be harvested by spammers and bots, for whatever purposes they have. You can edit your post to remove it if you want to prevent that, or we can do it if you like, or it can be left for harvesters if you prefer.

Main new desired function is Reverse. Identified all the wires and none are 'Reverse'. Guess I will have to open the box and look inside to verify the circuit board.

Sometimes new firmware has improved functionality. Will see if there website lists any 'improvements'. Some of the data presented on display is confusing. Would like to limit displayed data to main items driver should track. Also, want to adjust regenerative braking to limit downhill coasting top speed and get a bit of battery recharge.

If no one has a ready made USB adapter, then will make my own when I get annoyed enough. I'm and Electrical Engineer.

Edited to remove my contact info. Thanks for the reply and heads-up!

Main new desired function is Reverse. Identified all the wires and none are 'Reverse'. Guess I will have to open the box and look inside to verify the circuit board.
It probably isn't marked that way. There are some Lyen threads (and some of hte old "infineon" threads, or Ecrazyman), that might have PCB markings matching yours. It may not have the reverse function available (not all do); if it does it's probably speed limited to some fraction of the full system speed. Don't quote me on it, but a long time ago I think I put a switch from DX to ground on some similar controller to get reverse.

Sometimes new firmware has improved functionality. Will see if there website lists any 'improvements'.
Yes; that's why I'd asked which functionality you were interested in. ;) See below for individual replies:

Some of the data presented on display is confusing. Would like to limit displayed data to main items driver should track.

I can't remember if the v2 supports it, but the v3 has menu options for which screens show up while moving vs stopped (but not for which items show up on each screen), and also supports switching at least one of the main data screen items; the manual or info page for the v3 should say what options are available. (I haven't changed mine in years....)

Also, want to adjust regenerative braking to limit downhill coasting top speed and get a bit of battery recharge.

The regen braking would be adjusted in the controller, if it has that option (not all of them do, and it's not usualy adjustable). If it does, it will be on/off, engaged by a simple switch, full current of whatever it's set to whenever it's engaged (assuming sufficient wheelspeed to get that much)

The CAv3 (vs v2) can also limit speed with controller regen *if* the controller supports regen control via the throttle input in the 0-0.8v "deadband" the typical hall throttle doesn't go down to. The LYen's don't do this AFAIK. I don't recall a way the v2 could be used to do it (but doesn't matter since the Lyen probably doesn't support it).

If no one has a ready made USB adapter, then will make my own when I get annoyed enough. I'm and Electrical Engineer.
What specific "USB adapter" are you looking for? (your original post was looking for an unspecified USB connector) What do you need it to do, and what do you need it to connect to at each end?

The Lyens I have seen that have any programmability have had a 5pin JST-SM connector for serial, four of which are actually used. (don't recall the wire order, but 5v, tx, rx, ground are in there). Lyen probably has the pinout if the site is still up, or you can open the controller and trace the wires. If the lyen software is not there, you might be able to use the Anpaza XPD software (thread about that around here somewhere).

I dont' recall for the v2.x, but the Cycle Analyst v3.x uses a 3.5mm TRS jack on the CA, and only uses tx rx ground. (the newer ebikes.ca TRRS adapters with 5v as well also work on them). The pinouts should be in their manuals. The setup software and any newer firmware is on their site.

AFAIK both of them use the 5v-RS232 signal levels (vs the original much higher spec voltage, or the 9v often found on RS232 comms of a couple decades ago, or the 3.3v often found on MCU boards today).

Back