MAC on 72 Volts

Bullfrog

10 kW
I feel the need...the need for speed. Yea that movie was a long time ago so you kids out there may not understand :lol: . I was a kid about 100 years ago so no problem.

Anybody tried the current iteration of the MAC motor on 72 volts?

Regardless...I plan to give it a shot. Unrelated to the 72 volts, I am currently working on an experiment to keep my MAC cool using distilled water and Motul brand MoCool...results will be reported on Endless Sphere in about six months so I can include the corrosion effects of the water/MoCool, if there are any.

Previous experiment using ATF can be found here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48753&p=1337584&hilit=atf+mac+terrex#p1337584 BUT be forwarned...any leakage will make your rear brake completely stop working :evil: .

Why a MAC and why 72 volts...well I did a run using the Grin Tech Motor Simulator (Thank You Justin, you are AWESOME...I use and highly recommend the Grin Tech Cycle Analyst and Satiator Battery Charger) and plugged every motor in the drop down menu in to find the one that produced the most torque per amp and it was the 12T MAC. Well actually it was the Bafang G60 but it was only a tiny bit more and the G60 is 175mm OLD (wide) and will only fit a Fat bike plus I already have a 12T MAC :lol: .

Here is the set up I am starting with:

A. 12T MAC laced to a 27.5 Alex MD35 rim using 13G Sapim spokes with a Maxxis High Roller 3.00" tire.

B. 20s Li Ion battery...as soon as EM3ev has the triangle version available. If you'd like a 20s triangle battery, send EM3ev a message and let Paul know. It is in the plan but they haven't started offering them just yet.

C. 18 FET Infineon controller with a three position switch that allows me to select 30A, 45A, or 60A. Been running a 52v battery at 40A and it works pretty darn good so anybody with some sense would stop there :shock: .

All mounted on my Mongoose Terrex steel frame, bought at Walmart, bike with a Suntour Raidon fork.

I plan to use it mainly off road but haven't completely ruled out changing the rear tire to a 2.8" Schwalbe Super Moto-X tire and running it on the pavement just to see how fast it will go.

Comments, advice, questions, discussion, etc. are welcome and encouraged :D .

Back