Molycell P42A vs Samsung 40T or ??

willo

10 W
OK, looking at building a new pack option here. (I pulled the old pack yesterday to try to revive it)

The bike is 72v, so I'm looking at 20s lithium OR 24s lifepo4.

First idea is using the Molicell P42A.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0697/3395/files/INR21700P42A-V3-80092.pdf?2425
Costs around $5 each from liion wholesale. Performance is similar to the Samsung 40T.
These have tested good at 30-35A, so a 4p pack would give me a 120-140A peak!

Second is the Samsung 40T, but I'm having a hard time finding them for non-crap pricing.
However, I can buy a built 40T pack from bicycle motorworks, 20s3p for $639, with a 90a bms.
I emailed them yesterday to ask if they can add some extra balance leads/load wiring for me but so far no response.

I started to buy a bunch of Tesla Model 3 5000mah cells on ebay, but I'm thinking that they don't have the surge discharge rating I need without building an oversized pack. at a 15a rating I'd have to build something like a 8-10p pack. These things are $3 each on ebay, which without better test data just doesn't seem like the solution I need. (But looks great for low power bikes!)

So... thoughts? Sources for batteries?

What do you have room for? The Molycell probably takes more space. I had room to try Headway on my last build, but at 17Ah, at 72V, not going to win range wars. But it did fit.

The answer is likely depends on space available and desired range. LFP is probably less costly, and should have longer cycle life. But that costs space, and likely weight.

Back