NC2806 on 26" First Ride

Holy frickin' cow. New NC2806 kit with 40A Infineon 12xIRFB4110 mosfet controller from Ebikes.ca is a beast. This is laced into a 26" front hub. The package arrived with some damage to the box but all of the contents were unharmed. Makes the old Aetoma BL-36 kit look like a childs toy. Had a wonderful commute to and from work today on the 51.2V15Ah Ping battery. Cruising speed 30-32 mph. 4-6 mph faster than the Aetoma. Same wh/mi usage. Then I got home and loaded a 74V5AH (20S1P) Turnigy LiPo pack and went for a ride. I always wondered about those videos where a person grabs a fist full of throttle, burns out and crashes. Thought to myself, "What are they running?". NOW I KNOW. Took about a 1/16" off the front tire in the first 5 seconds then found the garage door, rather abruptly. Gathered my wits, checked for damage and went my merry way. (Nice double wall rim) To compare the Nine Contient kit to the Aetoma kit would be like a Ferrari compared to a Yugo. Went to a main street where the speed limit is 40 mph and had to back off after a short distance for fear of getting a speeding ticket. CA showed max speed of 43.2 mph, and it was still climbing. Love it. Can't wait for the weekend and a nice flat, straight stretch of road. How fast is it....? I'll let you know, along with anything else you want to know.
DSC00287.2.jpg
View attachment 1
DSC00294.2.jpg

High speed wind motors are seriously good fun aren't they? How hot does your 12 Fet get on 72V on the 2806?

Without sounding like a nervous nelly I presume you have some serious torque arms set up on those forks? I only ask because drop out failure on the front is a seriously unpleasant event. Personally I am too scared of front dropout failure to ever run a serious power setup on the front, but I realise many have. It is just there has been quite a few cases of serious fork failure on here. I only raise it with you because the difference in torque force between the lower voltages and high voltages when running 40amps is phenomenal. For example on 40amps I had one bike I was able to not even have to use torque arms on 12S, but on 20S/40amps my 5303 went through several sets of Amped bike torque arms, literally stretched the stainless steel, and that kind of force up on your front forks is not to be taken lightly.

+1 get two torque arms and make sure that your axle will not destroy your dropouts. If you are lucky, the axle will spin out when you are doing only 4mph (like my NC 2810 did). If you are unlucky, it will break your dropouts when you are doing 40mph.

Have fun, and take care!

Yes indeed it is fun. My commute today was with a Turnigy 74V15Ah(20S3P) pack and the smile has not left my face. I have the CA Logger with GPS if anyone is interested in the data, let me know. The ride to work averaged 30.6 mph over 8.7 miles with max speed at 49.4 mph. Not a problem to hold the speed limits anymore. The motor was warm to the touch at the end but not hot by any means. (Outside temp at that time was 51F) The controller didn't seem to be any different in temp than the outside air and it is enclosed in a bike trunk. I do have venting slots cut in specific locations to optimize cooling. The average Wh/Mi for the trip in was 41.2. Higher than I have seen, but so was the speed. I do have a torque arm (1) but wonder if I should get another. It was also purchased from ebikes.ca.
Torque Arm.jpg
I am getting a bit of a ping from some of the spokes, but my guess is that it will take time to seat everything. The only complaint is that the half grip throttle seems very touchy. Not only at 74 volts but at the 51 volts the Ping delivers. It feels like nothing, nothing, nothing, GO! And the slightest bit of twist, even hitting a bump, makes a big difference. It feels dangerous when attempting fine manuvering in corners at lower speeds. I hope that can be resolved with tuning of the CA. Any input is welcome.
More to come...

Cold-E-Commuter said:
The only complaint is that the half grip throttle seems very touchy. Not only at 74 volts but at the 51 volts the Ping delivers. It feels like nothing, nothing, nothing, GO! And the slightest bit of twist, even hitting a bump, makes a big difference. It feels dangerous when attempting fine manuvering in corners at lower speeds. I hope that can be resolved with tuning of the CA. Any input is welcome.
More to come...
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35031&p=549991#p549991
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=553424#p553424

Sounds like you're having fun! I get that grin every time I take my bike out- it never seems to wane!

Please be careful though- nearly 3kw in a front hub is very dicey! I do hope the forks are steel... And yes, two decent (thick) torque arms are the way to go.

Thanks for all the concern. 3K in the front is a bit dicey, mostly when cornering! I will be tuning this weekend thanks to the thread from hjns. And checking the tires thanks to dogman. Nice to have the ES community. Everyone here has the same agenda. Green life, safety and cheap transport. Oil be damned! I haven't purchased a gallon of gas in over two years. For those concered, yes, steel forks. Looking for a new bike that is hardtail, front suspension and disc brakes now. (V-Brakes at 50 mph ...?) The basic point, the NC2806 kit from ebikes was more than I expected. Thanks all. To be continued...

D

The speed is awesome, I want something like this, I coudnt find it on ebikes.ca though? How much was it?
Cheers.

Suprised you didn't just shoot the wheel into the garage door, while you sat still. Definitely get a second torque arm at minimum, and go with something stronger than just a hose clamp to secure it. Once you have the arms adjusted to your fork, have them welded in a spot to secure the swivel so it can't slip.

You are now officially running dogman crazy grade front motor. What posessed you to not get a rear motor when you got the new kit? Carry your battery in the frame.

Sorry all that I have not posted in a bit. It's the crazy season at work and hours are plentiful.
wizzbitt, you have to order the NC2806 and then the upgrade controller. NC26_Fast for front or NC26RD_Fast for rear. Then 40A_upgrade for controller.
http://ebikes.ca/store/store_nc.php
http://ebikes.ca/store/photos/NC26_Fast.jpg
http://ebikes.ca/store/photos/40A_upgrade.jpg
Total with shipping to Colorado was $634.89. Well worth every penny.
To update the top speed. I still don't know and probably wont! I had it wound to 54.2 mph (according to GPS) and still climbing when I was passed by a semi. The air turbulance forced me to shut down in fear of being sucked under. I was a bit too shakey after that to attempt another run. Honestly 40-45 mph is comfortable and more than enough. I might try agian at some other date on a different stretch of pavement.
Dogman, I didn't know. Simple as that. I thought I would balance the weight with the batteries on the rear rack by using the front hub. It has been working great. Just don't get heavy on the throttle when cornering. I just don't want to stradle the Ping in the frame. It's a bit wide either way and it is my primary battery. Just over 500 cycles on it over 2 years and I still get the full 15Ah.
The Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard tires are awsome for streets.
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/schwalbe-marathon-27-greenguard-tire
Have these in 26". Great because they have 100 psi max and good center rib for less rolling resistance.
Cheers all and be safe. And God bless and protect the fire fighters working the High Park fire. Amen.

Back