Need help to replace this motor for my 2014 Motiv Sherpa

DanL

1 µW
Hey everyone. My beloved 2014 Motiv Sherpa ebike motor grinded to a halt. It had around 7k miles on it and the rest of the bike if in good condition with plenty of life in the upgraded 21 amp battery.

Here's pics of the motor and the ebike. I want the easiest and cheapest solution to replacing it instead of buying another similar bike for 2k. Here's a link to ebike stats

I can't seem to find a bafang motor with matching numbers but found similar one here

Would this work? And would it work with the old controller or do I have to get another one? Is it worth doing? Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• bafang.png
    bafang.png
    570.8 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 6
What exactly does "grinded to a halt" mean?

Would be good to be certain it is just the motor itself before replacing it, in case it is some other issue (and maybe not even the motor at all).

Hello.

It only made the grinding noise when electrical power was applied. It didnt make any noise if it was just pedal power or coasting. When I got home I raised the rear wheel and turned the throttle and you could hear it, most likely, from the motor since the chain, derailer, brakes, gears all looked fine.

A grinding sound can happen for several reasons, some mechanical, some electrical.

Does the motor spin the wheel at all, even if it's just offground?

Does it make the sound if you roll the bike backwards, or turn it upside down and manually spin the wheel backwards, even with power turned off?

It can be broken gears if it's a geared hubmotor, or a broken clutch. Those usually don't let ithe motor spin the wheel at all, but will still make the sound if you spin it backwards yourself.

it can be damaged wires or poor connections between motor and controller, causing problems with the controller's phase signals getting to the motor, or the motor's hall sensor signals getting to the controller. Those may let the motor drive the wheel noisily and roughly, at least momentarily, but may shutdown the system to protect itself after a few seconds or less.

Did anything happen to the bike just before the problem started?

Back