Need Help w New Project - motorizing a Push Golf Cart

jscar70

1 µW
an avid golfer, and i often walk when i play. I use a fairly standard push type cart to get my bag around the course. There are many options on the market for powered golf carts both remotely controlled and not..but they are crazy stupid expensive. I have two general ideas:
power the wheels with hub motors, and use a basic analog throttle on the cart, no remote. the cart only has to move at a walking pace, nothing more, carrying about 30lbs or so. for this i need help figuring out motors, battery and speed control options.. i can get pics of the wheels. ive got no objection to changing the wheels out if needed. the hubs appear to be removable although i was not able to do so yet. theres six screws holding each side but they dont come apart easy and i didnt want to break..

somehow attach a deck to the cart, i could then stand on the deck and sort of ride the cart from shot to shot, for this id look for help if there are less expensive DIY ways to go than buying a ready to run board, this doesnt need to be superfast, slightly above walking pace, but carrying me (190lbs), and the cart/clubs (~40lbs. )

this is basically the same cart as what i have
04797A2B-F121-40B1-85E2-22736A1CF8FB.jpeg

The image doesn't show up (just says "image") but if you use the attachments tab and upload it directly to the post, then anyone that can see the post can see the image.

You might consider brushed powerchair motors; the ones with the gearbox attached come with hubs and wheels, too. They are rather heavy, but they go about the speed you want. You can use a single brushed controller to run them both, in series for half the speed, or in parallel for full speed.

You can sometimes get the whole powerchair with just dead batteries for next to nothing at thrift stores and the like. Can convert the chair to a carrier or move all the stuff to your cart, etc. Use whatever battery chemistry you prefer, it just has to be "24v" (28-29v full), and handle the current necessary.

Otherwise, if you want brushless hubmotors, Goldenmotor makes single-ended-axle hubmotors (so you don't have to modify anything to hold both ends of the axle like you would with bicycle hubmotors). But you'll need two separate controllers as you can't series or parallel brushless motors like you can brushed. A single throttle can still run them both, though.

Or you can repurpose a "hoverboard" for this; they usually have a pair of motors/controllers; you might have to convert it's throttle control input to a regular throttle.

Thanks I’ll fix the pic

I found this and think it might work
https://www.uumotor.com/brusless-electric-wheelchair-motor-single-shaft-with-joystick-controller.html
Wondering if single front wheel drive would be enough or if I have to do 2

Almost certainly a single motor will work. Mostly depends on the load being pulled, vs the motor's design limits.

Also depends on the weight load per wheel. If there's no weigth on the motor wheel, it won't have traction.

(one advantage of the powerchair stuff being heavy....helps make it's own traction)

Yeah those are cool but no idea when course will allow them...no way I’d spend the $$ unless I knew it would be permitted.
$$$$$$

Guys I also have a used yuneeq e go2 that my son doesn’t use, wonder if the remote would be adaptable...
Still think it would be fun to be able to step on and ride the thing but🤷‍♂️

So after doing more reading and research, I’m thinking about repurposing an old hover board we have. Plan will be to make some kind of platform to stand on, I found a simple easy to use mounting point on the front of the cart, looks like 3/4” square tube will fit well.
What I need to figure out is VESC to use and how the throttle, I think a hand held remote is best
My plan is to use it mainly as I walk behind it, so most of the time 3-4mph. Occasionally hop on and cruise maybe 10mph. I weigh 190, cart and clubs, 30-40, total weight before motors and batteries 230
I would need 10-12miles range at this pace

Can anyone help me identify the electric parts to use speed controls, remote, anti spark connectors etc etc
and battery size/capacity for this project?
I’m pretty skilled with lipo batteries from many years in rc hobbies.
I have the hover board half apart

Back