Newbie LifePo4 Battery Question

dragon

1 W
Hi everyone, please bear with another newbie question. I have a 72v 50ah (3.2v 24s) LifePo4 battery incoming as well as a J1772 adapter to use at public level 2 charging stations.
I should have lots of space in the battery box so I am considering mounting a permanent battery charger there.
I figure the cheap plastic cased ones that usually come with the batteries would not survive too long being permanently mounted on the bike.
I know I need a charger that puts out 220v & would prefer to find one that can plug into both 110v & 220v.
Wondering if something like these would work:
I'm assuming I'd need a custom one spec'd for 72v 24s.

Feel free to recommend some other budget-friendly options.

Also, the battery will have both an Anderson connector & a C13 plug.
Can I connect the Anderson plug to the normal bike wiring so I can use the existing traditional charging method & connect the new onboard charger to the c13 plug? That way I have some redundancy for charging options?

Hi everyone, please bear with another newbie question. I have a 72v 50ah (3.2v 24s) LifePo4 battery incoming as well as a J1772 adapter to use at public level 2 charging stations.
<snip>
I know I need a charger that puts out 220v & would prefer to find one that can plug into both 110v & 220v.
If you use a charger that puts out 220v for a 72v battery, you'll destroy the battery and it's BMS.

You may want to use a charger that can handle both 110 and 220, but you do NOT want one that outputs any more than about 86v (typical full charge for a 24s 72v LiFePO4 battery, assuming 3.6v/cell full).

I've never used or seen the linked charger, but if you don't need huge charging current, you could series a couple of Meanwell LED PSUs like the HLG-600H-54A, which go up to 11A (sometimes 12, like mine). Voltage is adjustable, so you can adjust them until they give you the normal full-charge voltage you need. They'll do everything you've listed so far, and are fanless solid potted weather/vibration proof. Been using one on the bottom of my SB Cruiser trike for years, and it's been submerged more than once in flashflood waters on my ride home from work. :oops:

There's lots of MW clones that are cheaper than MW, possibly even of the potted ones, but I know nothing about their reliability or functionality.

Thanks amberwolf!
According to my battery specs, it has a maximum charge rate of 20a. The charger it comes with will be a 110v 10a charger.
I'm considering the 20a version of the 24s 87.6v charger which I think outputs 20a at 220v & 10a at 110v so I should be okay?

I think my wording & phrasing may be confusing/misleading so I should clarify, From a 220v AC source, it'll charge at 20a & 10a from a 110v AC source.

Back