Not sure if I just made a genius move, or if I hear cellophane rattling about me ears.

DaLanMan

10 kW
so got an email from a vendor. They have Sodium Ion batteries ready to ship.

So, in a fit of inspiration, or maybe insanity, I busted out the ole uhm.. Ok, I selected yest 4 pls, and away we go.

Now, I figure I will have to put a buck/boost unit in front of the load because I don't see any other way to handle a swing from 1.5 to 3.9v in any case, I am hoping one of ya'all who have more knoweys to give a hand with this.

So, here is my current plan. I am gonna built a 12v unit, why? lots of stuff runs on it and it is the unit I move a lot of and I have the bits and bobs.

I do not have a Sodium Ion BMS and the only ones I saw were like 50+30shipping and yeah, I will just light them on fire first, I can put a cut out responder on the charger.

Once I get this thing built, I honestly would not mind mailing this off to someone to put a more knowledgeable seal of immaculate salinity on it...
In any case I will keep you apprised

Last time I tried to put a DC-DC converter between my pack and my controller, I kept getting over voltage errors in the controller. Maybe it was a calibration issue since I was trying to go up to 1 volt below the max of my controller, but I think they also block the controller from sending current back into the battery. So if you try it you'll be better off with a geared hub motor with a clutch than a direct drive, for instance, since regen will be impossible.

Uhm, you missed the boat there partner, I ain't running a bike off my 12v battery pack. I am testing out new batteries.

I mean I could swap the boy out to a 12v, he would harass me very slowly...

Oh, 12V useless to me. Both my controller and display output that backed off the traction pack. I've got too much of it. 12V batteries are just dead weight on an ebike when the controller has the low voltage circuit to run its own electronics and the torque sensor anyway.

Ok boy wonder, I will try to use small words.

It is a BRAND new tech in batteries, first I have heard of in production and they price them like they are made from the purest unobtainium. So, I bought enough to put them into real world test to see what happens.

Hey, I am retired (kind of) I have to watch my spending, so no 4500 48v8p in these bad boys, We can play with four, if it needs further investment I will make it, but 4 is a good number for a test.

You have heard of the scientific method yes?

Hmm, in theory it should come with the datasheet file, I will look to see if it is on the site. May be a bit, the site is in a language I do not read, so will have to ping my guy and see if he can forward it.

1.3Ah not very useful. I'd need 19P to get to work. Even if my bike went a decent speed at 36V, and it doesn't, that would be a massive 12S19P battery.

brief follow up: Sorry for not having the info, I am still getting occasional long-covid effects, which lead to me being a bit on the slow side.

I have not gotten the info back from my guy, will ping him later tonight, his shift starts at like o dark thirty or something. Will follow up again as soon as I have more info.

Ok, info I do have:
Sodium-ion Battery 3V 26700 3500mAh

Nominal voltage: 3.1V

Standard capacity: 3500mah

Weight: 82± 50g

Size: 26.4*71mm

Charge voltage: 4.1±0.05V

Cut-off voltage: 1.5±0.05V

Internal resistance: ≤20mΩ

Standard charging current: 0.5C

Standard discharge current: 0.5C

Max. Charge Current: 1C

Max. Continuous Discharge Current:3C

Temperature of discharge: -30~60℃
still waiting on full data sheet

Last edited:
The upside is supposed to be temp stability, and reduced potential for dendrites, the sheer abuse of that voltage swing is kind of awesome, and these are first release products.

Back