Place to share Grin controller configs/tunes?

Is there any kind of motor & tune repository around?

For example; something that lists motors, their useful specifications (kv, pole count, magnets, stator width/diameter, laminations, winds, etc) and includes XML configs for controllers (or the critical info therein) to get them working?

The motor simulator at grin is...kinda on track, but is more focused on performance than controller settings. You can find a few kind souls around here that jumped through the hoops to upload their grin phaserunner/frankenrunner XML configs, but it's pretty rare.

Grin includes some as part of their online repo for motors in their past and current lineup, but if you stray outside of that you're often very much on your own and heading down the "open the motor to count magnets" pathway.

(Asking out of my own personal pain having just gone through this...)

(Note to later self:
datatables)

Last edited:
I don't know of anything like this. There is some info on some people's configs in various PR / BR / FR threads around the forum and elsewhere.

There is some info on certain motors in some of the motor-specific threads, and in some of the FOC controller threads where people posted waht info they had or found on what they were using.

I wish the info on the motors in the simulator was accessible, but that is all hidden behind the scenes. :(

Is there any kind of motor & tune repository around?

For example; something that lists motors, their useful specifications (kv, pole count, magnets, stator width/diameter, laminations, winds, etc) and includes XML configs for controllers (or the critical info therein) to get them working?

The motor simulator at grin is...kinda on track, but is more focused on performance than controller settings. You can find a few kind souls around here that jumped through the hoops to upload their grin phaserunner/frankenrunner XML configs, but it's pretty rare.

Grin includes some as part of their online repo for motors in their past and current lineup, but if you stray outside of that you're often very much on your own and heading down the "open the motor to count magnets" pathway.

(Asking out of my own personal pain having just gone through this...)

Hey I read that article and thats awesome that you got it working. I had the same problem with my front motor cutting out at a faster speed. It was interesting because my motor would start to hum and make a weird sound just before the controller faulted out. I learned that this problem is solved by increasing the current regulator Ki, something to do with how the error gets worse as the speed increases.

I wonder how far off the two controllers were for inductance and resistance readings? From my experience with 3 different motors, I would agree that these phaserunner controllers are not great at auto tuning.

I had an unknown motor from ebikeling and I ran the autotune on it. It was able to get the hall pattern but the offset was wrong, I had to manually adjust it until the motor stopped shaking when it started from a stop.

Back