Programming a motorcycle speedometer

MDG

100 W
Hello, this maybe a total shot in the dark and might not be legal šŸ˜Ž but curious if anyone may have insight on this.

I am rebuilding a 2022 Kawasaki Z900 salvage and it has a digital TFT speedometer. When you turn the bike on it displays the Kawasaki logo. I took the speedo apart as some water had leaked into it and while I was in there thought ā€œwouldnā€™t it be cool to change the Kawasaki logo into my own design or somethingā€ hence here I am.

Itā€™s obviously been programmed at one point but just curious how!?

Itā€™s built by CTE Tech and the speedo is model 8198.

Attachments

• IMG_3154.jpeg
    IMG_3154.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3155.jpeg
    IMG_3155.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3157.jpeg
    IMG_3157.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 10
Well, the company that made it makes OEM displays and wiring harnesses, so they probably custom made the firmware in it for Kawasaki to display the way it is.

It's likely the MCU is on the other side of the PCB where the "diamond" of SMT parts is at near the middle. It's unlikely to be enabled for readout, but at the risk of damaging the unit, you could look at that MCU to find out what software is required for it to do that, and trace out it's programming port to which pads on the PCB those go to (probably some of the empty CON2 pads).

Once you have the code, you could attempt to find the bitmap or other memory data that comprises the logo and replace it with your own.

BTW, I googled the tag that's on that Bluetooth module up in the right corner, and it leads to this
https://fccid.io/2AS3E-8198/User-Manual/Manual-8198-4277512.pdf
and this
if it's useful.

Attachments

• Manual-8198-4277512[1].pdf
    995.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: MDG
Thanks @amberwolf for the info! Always great information šŸ¤˜ Iā€™m gonna do some digging into all this and see what happens.

Back