Retro build - Swedish 1940's 'Griffin' frame, custom everything, very close to 'done'.

Hi!

I wanted to share the machine that got me into e-bikes/electric vehicles and taught me how to build one.

IMG_20200621_203232.jpg

It is built from a 1940's vintage frame made here locally in the town of Linköping Sweden, (Long since defunkt company 'Linköpings Cykelmagasin'), with the same name as the domestic fighter jet 'Gripen' - Griffin.

Pretty sturdy frame that carries the extra weight and power well, a real cruiser, my daily commuter with about 60 miles / 100 km + every week.

The project is almost finished now (heh), new home-made (Spot welded with kWeld) 60V LiPo battery with 35A BMS, 1kWh+ capacity and a shunt modded 500W Dapu kit, 27mph/40kph on the straights and too much torque (spins front wheel a lot). Separate 12V battery for LED headlights (old retro workshop lamp) a proper car horn, custom torque arms and brake caliper mountings.

Big Apple plus tires (one puncture in 2 years!) and a 3 speed shimano with 16 teeth rear sprocket for long gearing (comfortable cadence at top speed). Saddle upholstered by me from the remains of my friends couch. 8) Shroud made from old aluminum signs bolted together and shaped to cover the electronics.

Thank you for reading, if you have any questions, reply here!

Edit: Reformatted and more pictures and info:

IMG_20200621_200346.jpg
Summer days in Sweden are so nice! (Yes, the battery will get properly encased, not just foam and plywood, but it is waterproof right now.)

IMG_20200619_230432.jpg
But the nights are better, never gets dark!

IMG_20200409_151939.jpg
Custom torque arms and brake caliper holders, no welding, has worked fine for a year now! Also seen: a Dapu hub geared hub motor, which means she will ride like a normal (heavy - 35kg!) bike when the battery goes flat.

IMG_20200627_095621.jpg
Torque arm assembly, It ain't pretty, but it works - eh? I have no proper welder (yet) so this is how I did it. Two 10mm steel plates and the arms are recessed into machined (read: angle grinded) grooves and held by 4 M8 bolts into threaded holes, so not just 'flat'-clamped. Not a bit of movement since installed! Brake calipers are attached by bolts below.

IMG_20200627_095603.jpg
Headlight is a modified old handheld worklight with a 6W LED built in, had to add the shroud, cars were honking because the were getting blinded. Powered by a separate 12V gel battery. Also seen is the car horn, very good when I overtake said speedo-clad 'pro-cyclists'

IMG_20200627_095554.jpg
Close-up of the badge. 'Gripen Svenska Cykelmagasin Linköping' - Translation: 'The griffin Swedish Bicycle Works Linköping'

Gripen herrcykel.png
This is the only 'source' i can find. Translation:
Men's Bike No. 40
Special Model
Elegant red lacquered
Front fork fully chrome-plated
Front hub with expanding brake.
Lightweight metal rails and screens
Rubber rings: 26 "x 1 1/2"
T-bar Extra for gear unit Kr. 36: - --- cash
Kr. 37:90 --- if pay by installments
Kr. 256:15 cash
+ 12:95 if pay by installments

IMG_20200613_185436.jpg
My kWeld spot-welder in action, works amazing!

IMG_20200618_202153.jpg
First test of battery, nothing caught fire or exploded so I'd call that a win!

Battery comparison.jpg
Old grey LiFePo4 battery vs new yellow LiPo (5P16S, 60V, 35A, 1050Wh). 10kg vs 4.5kg. Proper DC breaker, proper connectors. I actually can't believe the old one only caught fire once... Thank you for reading!

Welcome to ES Alex.
That's a nice bike you've built. Great first effort. I like how you improvised so much & so well.
Of course you know, this only your first hit of the EV addiction!

AussieRider

Old school, pure utility function from which springs a beautiful form. . .

May she last a full 'nother century!

john61ct said:
Old school, pure utility function from which springs a beautiful form. . .

May she last a full 'nother century!

Thank you! She probably will, old school heavy steel and simple maintenance!

My philosophy is that beauty springs from function, and that anything that functions well will also look good.

AussieRider said:
Of course you know, this only your first hit of the EV addiction!

AussieRider

Thank you! :D

I know.. I have my next project already lined up, this one is close to done, eh? Check out the new images I added as an edit if you want to!

Mate, the new images only increase my respect for your work.

AussieRider

Back