Silicon Carbide Schottky Diodes, ideal diodes for charging?

johnws6

100 mW
I ran across these silicon carbide schottky diodes and am wondering what everyone's opinion who has used them or thinks they would work in a charging system for nickel based batteries. I have a setup of 4 packs of 20 nimh cells in series and want to set up a charging method where I don't require to disconnect each pack to recharge. Each pack has it's own wiring circuit but I want to add these into the charging wire leads to prevent the possibility of a short if the charging terminals should ever contact anything conductive.

I previously tried out a high power diode I picked up off ebay that was for solar applications rated at 15 amps and it tended to heat up ( as anticipated ) while charging, at 2 amps. I would like to be able to charge at 4 amps if possible. I have the packs protected from each other with diodes in the power leads before the parallel connection as well but am concerned with the voltage drop and heating of the diodes in the charging circuit and am thinking these may work, or am open to any other ideas that I'm over looking possibly.

http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...e=us&keywords=C4D08120E&formaction=on&x=0&y=0

That device doesn't seem that good.
"Voltage - Forward (Vf) (Max) @ If 3V @ 2A"
There are better normal shottkey diodes that will drop much less voltage at higher currents and are cheaper.
I suspect choosing a 1.2KV part isn't a good idea. A high current 100V part is probably more suitable and will give you lower cost and lower forward volt drop.

glad someone else noticed that. if there was some way to know what he is trying to do it would help to give him advice.

the forward bias is a function of the doping that gives the diode it's ability to withstand the voltage across the diode, so normally you would choose a simple rectifying diode of a voltage higher than the diode has to withstand, and that gives the lowest Vf so the lowest heating and power lost.

Back