Simulate speed to increase odometer

the_horak

1 mW
Hey All. I've got a replacement display, a 500C, coming in to get my ebike, Ariel Rider X-Class, up and running and I wanna set the 1300 miles back into the odometer (It's unnecessary, I know).

Looking at my geared hub motor's connector, I think I have a speed hall sensor, but I am looking into that to be sure. If I do, can I use that wire to trick the display into thinking the wheel is turning when it actually isn't? Would it be reasonable?

Most hall sensors work by counting on/off situations of the turn of a wheel when the magnet passes, so not sure how you could trick it, unless you can mechanically move the magnet closer and further away on some sort of arm.

Are you intending to use the wire to reset the odo?

If so, you could build a circuit like a 555 timer, or an arduino nano, etc., or even use the serial output from a computer. The main thing that you will need to do is put an open-collector-output buffer between your pulse generator and the wire, since that is how the speed sensor itself works, so it is what the controller and display expect to see.

The OC output is wired with it's signal output to the signal input wire, and it's ground to the system ground. No power connection is necessary or desired; whatever the pulse generator is powered from is kept separate from the bike's system.

It'd be best if you calculate in advance how many pulses will be needed to equal 1300 miles.

This will be the number of poles for the sensor/magnet (whatever is in the display settings), times the number of wheel rotations in a mile (which depends on your wheel size), times 1300.

If you use the computer's serial port you can write a program to pulse it that many times, and then stop.

If you use a nano or similar, you can do the same thing.

If you use a 555 timer or other similar device, you have to watcn the odo and stop it manually.

All else fails prop the bike on something and tape the throttle open. At 30 mph wheel speed you'd only have to leave it running for 43 hours :p

Back