Sources for new 18650 cells or Lipo packs **in Canada**?

JohnnyCrash

1 µW
Greetings everyone!

First post here in years, electric bike buff, always wanted to build my own BLDC motor controller to run an RC outrunner equipped with Hall sensors, build a 2- or 3-speed gearbox and power it with an ultra-lightweight battery pack good for about one kilowatt-hour. Reasonable cost but with good efficiency, compactness and lightest possible weight is the name of the game for me, so the humble RC motor with hall sensors and homebrew gearbox powered by 18650s or RC lipo packs wins hands down.

Question is, where the heck in Canada can I get hold of such cells/packs?

18650 cells are available online at Canadian shops for exorbitant prices, like $10-$15 a cell, even for old, 2.2 Ah low C-rate cells. Ouch! Lipo packs are similarly overpriced here. You can't ship Lithium-based cells/packs across the border, so you pay through the nose for Canadian stocked items. 18650s are a buck to make, why ten or fifteen to buy and have shipped?

HobbyKing Zippy packs seem like such a great deal, lightweight 8s 5800 mAh packs are $78 or so, that's about $500 per kWh and they're nicely pre-assembled packs with connectors, all you do is make parallel power and balance harnesses and plug everything in! Unfortunately, they can't ship them here, not even from the US warehouse! So, you'd have to buy Canadian stocked lipo packs for $1000 to $2000 per kWh, and they've probably been on the shelf for years.

Laptop computer batteries are much less convenient, but at least the cells have welded tabs so you can solder them into parallel blocks for pack making. Some Canadian online retailers have 12-cell packs for $60, so that's about $500 per (nominal!) kWh as well. Problem is, inexpensive off-brand laptop batteries have a notorious reputation for being old stock, very low capacity/high resistance cells with very short cycle and calendar life.

So, where do Canadian homebrew EV buffs get their tabbed 18650s or lipo packs without getting taken for a ride on the price?

Just curious,

Ian

Be a little more patient, there are Sony US18650VTC5 cells coming before the end of 2015. They will be slightly used cells from BL1850 Makita tool packs. DoctorBass will sell them as soon as he gets them.

For now, the only affordable 18650 cells I know of in Canada come from DoctorBass. What you don't pay with money getting those cells, you will pay with your time making a battery out of them. Pay high prices or work hard, there's no easy way.

mistercrash said:
*snip..., you will pay with your time making a battery out of them...

That, in itself is why i gave up on those a long time ago lol..

HK will ship to Canada again, for quite a few months they would only let you check out with 2 packs max of 5000mah max per pack... but as of 2 weeks ago it seems i am now able to reach the checkout and pay portion with up to 6+ 5ah packs at a time, 6 cell )

We get the shaft up in Canada when it comes to shipping.. it royally sucks.

Next spring, i'm seriously going to buy a wholesale quantity of HK lipo, i have the contact info required and all that jazz.. just going to wait for winter to pass before i order.. i might open this up to other canadians if there happens to be any interest.

Ypedal said:
mistercrash said:

That, in itself is why i gave up on those a long time ago lol.

I totally understand, the 16S20P battery I made in July was the last one I planned to fabricate out of the US18650V cells at 1.5Ah each. But with the US18650VTC5 at 2.5Ah each coming soon, I'm not ready to give up on DocBass cells yet. That's just 24 packs to process instead of 40.

Ypedal said:
mistercrash said:

That, in itself is why i gave up on those a long time ago lol..

HK will ship to Canada again, for quite a few months they would only let you check out with 2 packs max of 5000mah max per pack... but as of 2 weeks ago it seems i am now able to reach the checkout and pay portion with up to 6+ 5ah packs at a time, 6 cell )

We get the shaft up in Canada when it comes to shipping.. it royally sucks.

Next spring, i'm seriously going to buy a wholesale quantity of HK lipo, i have the contact info required and all that jazz.. just going to wait for winter to pass before i order.. i might open this up to other canadians if there happens to be any interest.

Very cool, thanks for keeping me posted :)

Amusing that they judge by mAh, not by Wh which is the only way of estimating lithium content...

JohnnyCrash said:
...Amusing that they judge by mAh, not by Wh which is the only way of estimating lithium content...

Well, the nominal voltage of the various lithium battery chemistries isn't a secret so it's not that bad. ;)

rscamp said:
JohnnyCrash said:
...Amusing that they judge by mAh, not by Wh which is the only way of estimating lithium content...

Well, the nominal voltage of the various lithium battery chemistries isn't a secret so it's not that bad. ;)

I know, but the packs are available with different cell counts, but the same capacity rating.

I've always wondered why they get bent out of shape over a little tiny lithium battery (even a kWh), calling it 'hazardous goods' and requiring extreme shipping measures and costs, but no-one ever mentions the 100+ tons of kerosene in the wings of the airplane. :)

Peace

Back