Starting over after house fire- HELP!

peytonmusic

1 µW
My ebike kit was a Wilderness Energy front hub on a Schwinn with SLAs. Absolutely loved it and had a blast, later replacing the SLAs with Li-ions. Rode that thing almost every day, all year, in all weather. My house recently burned down (pesky central WA wildfires you may have heard about in the news) with the bike in it, so I'm rebuilding. After being bummed out by my Bafang BBS02, I'd certainly love your feedback and advice on getting a new set up. I want to leave the car in the garage and get back on a bike!

Purpose/wants:
Year round commuting!
Low maintenance system that lets me keep the bike as close to stock as possible.
20+ mile range is needed.
30+mph on the flats would be great, and keeping at 20+mph on those hills would be super. (I'm in good shape and pedal along, so I get better speed and range than advertised.)

Terrain:
90% of my riding is on asphalt and concrete.
Up to 20 degree hills; occasionally steeper.
Snow and some rain. (Don't think of Seattle - that place is drenched. I'm on the dry side of the Cascade mountains with deserts, snow, fruit trees, seasons and all.)

The bike:
Stock 21" 2013 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid.
700c wheels. (Can be tricky to find, I know, I know.)
Aluminum frame. (Can be fragile.)
3x9 speed (cartridges that can actually clear can be tricky; especially with...)
Hydraulic disc brakes.
Shimano Alivio trigger shifters.

Current gear (bought from em3ev.com):
Bafang BBSO2 750W
Samsung 47V 9.8ah battery

The rider:
40yo male, 160 lbs, in good shape. If there are pedals under my feet, I am compelled to push on them.

Budget: $800 without battery (I'd like to keep my current battery if I can), $1,300 for complete setup.

Why I'm pulling the BBSO2:
Too much $ maintenance (all that great torque applied to the links resulted in constantly falling off and broken chains, and chews through chain rings and cassettes).
Can't use original crank and chain rings.
I went from 27 speeds to about 6.
Pretty serious/obvious modification.
Pedal assist is awkward.
For legal reasons, this system comes watered down and will only assist and throttle up to 15mph. The fix is to buy a cable you'll use once, download and use some sketchy software, and void your warranty to make the changes you want. Ugh.
Okay, I'm finished now. Bill me for the therapy session - hopefully after some kind and helpful advice. :)

The bafang bpm geared motors are reliable, cheap and though rated at 500w they will take a 1200w peak. 48v and 25 amps will get you to 30mph on the flat with a fast wound version.

If you want reliable, silent long term commuting, direct drive is the answer. This comes with the penalty of weight.

If you can tolerate a little noise, occasional consideration of gear/clutch health, lower weight - geared motor is fine. Most who run into issues use more power than its rated for.

Front rear us up to you, I always prefer rear but you have successfully used front before.

I have recently made the same decision and choose a rear dd 1500w leafmotor. Controller likely to be a 6 few mini monster. I intend to run it at lower wattage for reliable commuting longevity.

A geared will be much better if pedalling due to the clutch/freewheeling. Direct drive will have cogging from the magnets which is not much fun when trying to pedal. :wink:

Back