Stella 2T Conversion to 4kW

EmVeeTee,

A really great job on your conversion. It sounds like you have been having fun with the project and really testing it to see what is possible. I don't think the Vespa/Stella was originally designed to do a wheelie, but I applaud you for trying. I hope your new contactor is up to the challenge. Really impressive final product and I'm sure you get a lot of looks riding it. An EV in a Stella wrapper is going to challenge some people's thinking.

I look forward to reading of your experiences as you put your bike through the testing phase. It's going to be a blast to ride!

It turned out amazing! Congratulations!

EmVeeTee said:
Wheelies on a steel scooter is white knuckle territory. I pushed it home and ordered a 400A contactor.

Nice work. Would you rate the domino throttle as worth the money (and the frustration of setting it up)? Does it feel solid even when the front wheel is in the air?

MorbidlyObeseKoala said:
Nice work. Would you rate the domino throttle as worth the money (and the frustration of setting it up)? Does it feel solid even when the front wheel is in the air?

Hey MOK. I never used a hall with this, so the Domino is my only experience. But it seems very well-made and feels as if it will last quite a while. There were no issues setting it up to use with the Kelly controller. It is the constant touch point so to me is well worth the money.

EmVeeTee,
Thanks for sharing your project!
Hey, wondering if you ever looked at JimVonBaden's controller settings to see if you could get a higher top speed. Curious that you have the same motor and using same 72v... maybe Jim's can draw higher amps because his pack is made with 21700s? Also I think Jim noted that he chose the "ultra high speed" version of the 4kw motor. Maybe that plays into it as well. Robert (of QS motor) explained to me : "Motor with high speed will be lower starting torque and lower climbing ability , but higher AMPs when startup"
I'm guessing the opposite is true for the lower speed options, that you would have more initial torque and a lower top speed.

Just trying to figure out exactly what to get as I get more serious about my Vespa conversion. I'm considering going with the 5kw motor and making my own 20s10p battery out of 18650s. 1974 Primavera.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Back