The Charging Standards Thread

So now Tesla has finally decided to fully open the patents around their proprietary charger and are now hoping to court federal decisionmakers to it, claiming it to be superior to CCS. Europe has already long-mandated CCS as it's plug standard, and ON PAPER CCS seems to win in a sheer numbers game- but as someone who owns a Tesla and has messed with other EVs, the Tesla plug being a third the size and ~4th the weight makes it far nicer to handle and package, and the huge charging rates of CCS don't matter much when most places don't have the infrastructure to support the supposed ~250 amp maximum output of CCS. On top of this, now the same company that made CHADeMO has a Bi-directional new plug called ChaoJi, which aims to do a max of 1,500 Volts at 600 Amps! Being bi-directional it would allow V2G which I don't believe CCS and Tesla can.

But what do you all think? I honestly was very pro-CCS until this patent opening, and while I still find some of Tesla's claims about output unbelievable (They claimed "above 900A continuously with a non-liquid cooled vehicle inlet") I find it's size to be definite advantages for smaller applications- though I'm not sure how "small" of a battery a Tesla plug can charge. But what do ya'll think? Have you got more details for a better comparison?

Decent post and image of the different standards with a basic comparison. Lacks max voltage and amperage measurements.
The Megawatt Charging System, which Tesla helped build and is slated for large vehicles. The Tesla Semi uses this.
The Old Plug World PDF from 2014, one of the few places I found hard data on some of the plugs.

Would be happy if it was standardize. I mounted a type one level two from siemens 240v 40a, thinking of my next car and to my surprise my leaf does level 2.

Until I get a car that requires something different i'm good. Fast charging stresses the battery and I have all night every night.

ZeroEm said:
Would be happy if it was standardize. I mounted a type one level two from siemens 240v 40a, thinking of my next car and to my surprise my leaf does level 2.

Until I get a car that requires something different i'm good. Fast charging stresses the battery and I have all night every night.
Yeah, I haven't had to fast charge yet, but:
1) It's only a matter of time.
2) You know how consumers are.

Back