The ultimate ‘last mile’ showdown: E-bicycles vs scooters vs boards

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
The ultimate ‘last mile’ personal electric vehicle showdown: Electric bicycles vs e-scooters vs e-skateboards
https://electrek.co/2018/06/27/electric-bicycles-vs-scooters-vs-skateboards/

Starts:
The “last mile” problem is one that cities have been trying to solve for decades. While it is fairly easy to get to most cities, getting around that last mile to your final destination is often anything but simple. On the other end of the trip, “first miles” often have the same issue. How do you get from your home or apartment to the closest bus stop or train station that will take you to work?

That responsibility has often fallen on smaller one-person forms of electric transportation, also known as personal electric vehicles (PEVs). These can be anything from electric bicycles to electric scooters and electric skateboards. Basically anything small, quick and convenient to move someone around a crowded urban environment.

In an effort to determine which of these PEVs is the best option for urban commuting, I spent the last two weeks commuting entirely by personal electric vehicle, and now I want to share my experiences to help you determine how best to get around your city. Read on to see what I learned.

8)

Includes a pic/chart:
graph5-e1530071760703.png

:mrgreen:

... and:
Taxi

I didn’t really intend for this to be a test against cars, but I decided to throw a taxi into the mix, just for the sake of comparison.

Even despite the taxi driver taking risks that I wouldn’t even try in a video game, rush hour traffic in the city still proved too much for a four-wheeled vehicle that takes up an entire lane.

The taxi took 21 minutes to cover the same ~5 km commute, which is over 60% slower than the 1,000W e-bike. That places the taxi solidly in last place.

:mrgreen:

... AND a vid on YT...
[youtube]jzL8iR0PNF8[/youtube]

8)

The concept of the last mile inludes travelling the rest of the miles with another type of vehicle.

So you Need a concept how you travel with your last mile vehicle in your other vehicle or how you store it to switch from one to another. THIS is the main Problem, not the time needed to cover a few meters.

^^ Hehe... Agree 100%... Here at ES Newz, just reporting watt others are saying and seeing. :)

Actually? Suspect the "last mile"/"first mile" concept for many/most 21st-century urban folks, with an assist added to their bike, is now a FALACY, and no longer relevant for many, many folks. :mrgreen:

LockH said:
^^ Hehe... Agree 100%... Here at ES Newz, just reporting watt others are saying and seeing. :)

with an assist added to their bike, is now a FALACY, and no longer relevant for many, many folks. :mrgreen:

Assist whats that?
:lol:

I haven't pedaled in weeks! Ride EVeryday

^^ My first two wheels v/bettery-electric assist, was 24V as 2x12V 10Ah SLA batts... Learned pretty quick to not wear out batteries "too quick". Was going about 20kms, with lots of up hills to get to clients for work... Anyway, got sorta like a game to minimize headwinds... use smooth pavements... and to def. kick to start then GENTLY press the little electric juice button. :mrgreen: And to "charger early and charge often". :)

Back