Tostino's water cooled 36 fet infinion

tostino said:
Well my luck has been pretty crappy lately, tried to go on a ride today to see how everything holds up, got about a mile down the road, and the motor stopped working. I got a little shutter, and then no throttle response at all.

I believe a hall sensor went bad in my motor, and it wasn't actually a controller issue this time (fingers crossed). I hooked the halls upto a 2s battery, and measured the output. Two of them went from 0-7.2-0, the other went from 0-2.4-0. Seems like an issue. Not too sure if that would cause the controller to give no throttle response though =/. No shorts on the phases though.
If its a sensored controller then its most likely your problem. Remember they work on 5v so the one going to 2.4v will likely be 1.5v or less with 5 volts run to it. Sounds like a bad connection. I melted the solder off mine once lol. The controller is most likely set up to look for 0-.5v for a 0 (off) signal and 4.5-5 for a 5v (on) signal or something of that nature so it wont pic up misfires from noise in the wires.

Yeah it is sensored, and that is what I assumed, i've just never had a controller refuse throttle input and not try and spin the motor, even when hall input was off.

frock me...

I got my motor sensor fixed (was toasted), and wanted to see if that had fixed it, so I got everything plugged in, then I connected my battery to the controller, and had flames shooting out if the box within seconds.

I disconnected the battery as soon as I noticed something off, and tried to see what had happened. None of the fets were blown, but where I soldered one of those low ESR caps, and had one of the large electrolytic caps, they had blown, and left a hole in my board. Now I have 27 ohms between + and -.

Now i've gotta see how I can transfer my parts from one board to another, because I can't imagine things being good on that thing any more.

This frocking sucks. This completely frocking sucks.

Any ideas how to de-solder the fets from the board? trying to use the toaster oven on Broil now, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Here are the pics so far ='(

Attachments

• IMG_20121109_150012 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20121109_150012 (Custom).jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_20121109_150022 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20121109_150022 (Custom).jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_20121109_161505 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20121109_161505 (Custom).jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_20121109_161606 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20121109_161606 (Custom).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 958
Toaster oven worked. Just had to put it a bit closer to the burner. I've got the new board almost built up now... I still am not 100% sure what happened, possibly the leg of one of my caps jumpered the + & -, and blew everything to hell? I really don't know. I may skip out on the big electrolytic's on the bottom of the board this time.

Back