TSDZ2 Open Source Firmware with 850C Troubleshooting

CargoBikeJ

1 µW
Hello all,

I am writing to ask for assistance in troubleshooting and appreciate any advice from all the experts on the forum.

The TSDZ2 on my bike was installed two years ago and I had stock firmware with a VLCD5 before the upgrade. I was never really completely happy with how the assist was provided by the original motor control.

I upgraded the firmware on my motor and display to version v.0.6.2 for the display and v.0.51.0 for the motor as suggested by Eco-Cycles, where I bought the original motor. This time I bought the cables for flashing the motor, the 850C and the cables for flashing the new display. I also had to buy a 1T4 cable for the older Tongsheng motor to adapt to the 850C.

I am experiencing the following issues with the setup

1. Speed is not registering on the display. It is always at 0 along with the odometer.
2. The + and - buttons are reversed. - increases assist level and + decreases it.

The motor does provide assist when pedalling, which is one good outcome.

A little more info on my CETMA cargo bike:

I am currently unable to mount brake sensors on my setup due to the shape of my hydraulic brake levers so I haven't connected any. I also don't have a throttle mounted on my setup due to this fact.

Without having a brake cutoff available, what firmware revision combo would you suggest I use? I carry my children around in the bike so the warnings on some of the revisions make me hesitate on trying them out.

I'm hoping that a newer firmware revision install fixes the speed issue, but I think it might be a hardware issue with either display or a cable since the + and - are reversed. Any suggestions to help troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all who have developed the firmware! I hope I am able to contribute in the future.

Kind Regards,

CargoBikeJ

The reversed buttons (if they are on hte display unit itself) can't be a cable problem, because the cable between controller and display is only battery power, ground, and the serial comm lines. The buttons only "talk" to the display itself, which translates everything into what teh controller needs to know to do what you told it to via the buttons.

It's unclear from your post if you had those buttons before the upgrade, or even if it is the same display/wiring, but If they worked before, then the wiring couldn't be wrong, and it would have to be a firmware issue (setting or bug). I'm not familiar enough with the TSDZ2 OSFW to know if there's an existing bug like that, but you could look thru that thread for any reports, or on the Github for it (linked in that thread) and leave a detailed bug report there so someone can fix it if there is one.

If the buttons are built into the display (not on a separate module cabled into the display) then it also can't be wiring/hardware, but if they are a separate cabled unit then it could be (and would be easy to fix).

Regarding brake cutoffs, you can make some that use a magnet and reed switch (or hall sensor) on the levers or the calipers, as long as it is a place that has enough motion range to be able to move the magnet out of the range of the switch/sensor. There's a system called Tripwire that Grin Tech carries that may work.

Or you can add a wide "button" (two pieces of thin metal with a separating "ring", etc) to the face of the lever itself, or on the grip, etc., so that you can easily use it to disengage the system in an "emergency" if necessary, wihtout thinking about it.

Back