using a kit to build an AUS legal electric bike...

winkinatcha

10 kW
I reached a big milestone last week in being able to modify one of my kits controllers, so that it produces a maximum power compliant with Australian e-bike laws/regulations for a pedal-assist electric bicycle (250w).

This means I can now provide a "base kit" to enable someone to build a legally compliant e-bike here in Aus, meaning the converted bicycle requires no registration, licensing or any other stuffs... basically a legal pedal-assist electric bike rider has all the same access rights as a human-powered-only cyclist. Above the legal requirements and the electric bicycle becomes an unregistered vehicle, meaning not legal to be ridden on anything but private property, reserves and other such special areas...

Personally I reckon the 250w legal limit is about half to a quarter of practical power levels... For some reason Australia has adopted European standards, How I wish we adopted US or Canadian, where 1000w is legitimate.... Ah well, maybe time will change this (including the European standard potentially allowing more power)

Anyways with the whole power output thing sorted, I wanted to document installing a modified kit to build an AUS legal e-bike...

this first iteration reveals all, including the power modifications,... Over time I'll refine the process so I can provide a "how-to" manual for "installing" a modified kit.

Installing an electric bike conversion kit

First step, sort out the bicycle.

I am a big beleiver in converting from a good base bicycle. Although the power levels from a legal kit is not going to provide earth shattering power and a runaway scarey steed, I personally want the bicycle to be converted to be full operational and safe prior to the conversion...

For this iteration I used a cheap brand new, out of the box dual suspension bicycle.

First step... Put the thing together...

Bikeout of the box, on the stand and all bits in the right place:

2012-08-04_15-04-14_72.jpg

First thing, change the handlebars and aheadstem from cheap steel to alloy...

A simple method for removing Grips from handlebars without destroying them:

Using an insulin syringe with around 1cc of water, insert syringe into grip, so needle is through rubber and resting on handlebar tube beneath.. inject about .1cc in various places round the grip, and the grip will loosen n slide off with ease...

2012-08-04_15-33-23_541.jpg

New bars and headstem in place (mmmmmmm sexy!):

2012-08-04_15-43-24_996.jpg

Bike finished (damn lens on phone camera was fogged... :( :

2012-08-05_11-20-40_761.jpg

2012-08-05_11-20-58_581.jpg

An unpowered test ride, all good, surprisingly nice bike to ride, though I wouldn't do anything in terms of taxing off road stuff on it.

Right.. now to the nitty gritty and getting the kit sorted n installed...

the process of making a "vanilla" kit (in the box as received from Chines manufacturer) into an installable legal version

Kit in box:

2012-08-20_12-20-06_825.jpg

2012-08-20_12-24-08_700.jpg

2012-08-20_12-24-55_890.jpg

2012-08-20_12-25-28_587.jpg

2012-08-20_12-26-14_661.jpg

2012-08-20_12-28-06_251.jpg

Yaaay... Kit outta box, n here are the contents aprt from the wheel motor:

2012-08-20_12-32-10_934.jpg

Controller (aluminium box) throttle, hand grips,,, pedelec sensor is the round wheel thingy and the silver washer thingy with sensor wire on the bottom left... The kit doesn't come with this, but I add these as well as additional components as part of "upgrading" the vanilla kits...

"upgrading" the kit controller before installation

the process of upgrading the kit controller is thus:

Open up controller and remove circuit board:

2012-08-21_13-54-51_468.jpg

Locate the "shunts":

2012-08-21_13-55-16_571.jpg

Without getting too techo.. these shunts are made from a special type of resistance wire, and the controller "reads" from these wires and limits the current supplied based on the electrical resistance of the shunts.

For this type of controller design, varying the resistance of the shunts varies the maxcurrent the controller will supply. The greater the resistance of the shunts, the less current...

the controllers in vanilla form supply roughly 20 amps (rated at 500 watts at 24v).

By removing one of the shunts, I can double the resistance (two identical resistors in parallel in an electrical circuit provide HALF the resistance of one of the resisters)

Shunt removal

Big eff off 80 watt soldering iron, requiring speed and precision, but necessary to get around the heatsinking properties of high current bearing circuitry in this part of the controller:

2012-08-21_14-02-21_831.jpg

Remove one leg of a shunt (kept on board so modification can be reversed)

2012-08-21_14-07-59_621.jpg

Pop some heat shrink over the top, leave un heated as a potential indicator of how hot it gets inside the controller...

2012-08-21_14-08-42_201.jpg

Add some electrical tape to edge of board where it slides into case.. not had a problem yet but don't like the proximity of power to the case so this is a cautionary thing
2012-08-21_14-10-25_221.jpg

Add Breakout box to top controller (forgot to photograph this step, so this is a photo from a different build):

2012-08-11_12-51-59_1912.jpg

Make up break out box cover:

On off Switch, between battery and controller, Blade fuse, Low voltage beeper/LED warning.

2012-08-23_10-34-24_599.jpg

2012-08-23_10-34-15_334.jpg

Finally, File the mounting tabs to fit the u-bolt "mounting hardware"

2012-08-11_14-56-51_8011.jpg

Controller Mods Done... Now the wheel/motor:

A "design flaw" with these kits, is that the nuts and washers for the wheel are threaded onto the power and control cable that comes from the wheel shaft, and connectors are then added... this means that a freewheel cant be threaded down this cable and attached to the wheel motor.

2012-08-20_12-36-52_111.jpg

Fist step, then, is cut this cable:

2012-08-20_12-40-08_102.jpg

Cutting this cable also gives me the opportunity to put a single connector in, closer to the wheel for (relatively) easy wheel removal in case of tyre changes and flat repair etcetera.

Thread on Free Wheel:

I like to be able to use the freewheel from the original bike, as this means I can use the original bike's gear set (handlebar gear changers, derailers, Freewheel).. less swapping out of components.

2012-08-20_12-14-18_742.jpg

Prep the wheel/motor thread with a smidge of grease:

2012-08-20_12-41-17_401.jpg

Note the silver coloured spacer on the shaft... used to stop the frame from impacting the freewheel n stopping it from being free.

Freewheel threaded on and tightened with a chain whip:

2012-08-20_12-45-26_92.jpg

And... as oft happens, the freewheel is wider than the silver spacer mentioned above...

2012-08-20_14-12-10_654.jpg

Shimmed out with some washers... Much better:

2012-08-20_20-44-03_939.jpg

Time to add connector to cable:

I use a 12 pin connector, using 8 of the pins...

2012-08-20_13-33-03_771.jpg

Crimp and solder pins onto the wires...

2012-08-20_14-19-38_305.jpg

2012-08-20_14-18-20_192.jpg

Cut and splice all electrical cables (handbrakes, Thumb throttle, Controller-to wheel)

2012-08-22_17-02-28_131.jpg

2012-08-22_17-01-08_619.jpg

2012-08-22_17-02-56_651.jpg

Install Wheel and new connector:

2012-08-23_10-51-13_271.jpg

Install handlebar controls:

2012-08-23_10-51-19_861.jpg

2012-08-23_10-51-26_617.jpg

(oops crap photo)

Mount the controller (slight challenge on this non-standard frame, but the basic "mounting hardware" I provide (U bolts and Uber Zip Ties) is designed to be pretty universal...)

2012-08-23_10-54-15_563.jpg

Connect breakout box front cover:

2012-08-23_10-55-15_428.jpg

Close it all up

2012-08-23_11-00-21_708.jpg

Now for the Battery....

For these Base Kits, I use a 24v 10ah Ping Battery... (Ping is the battery assember, located in HongKong.. the battery he supplies come with a Battery management system (BMS) that provides cutoff on low voltage, battery cell balancing, and altogether a "plug and play" solution)

2012-08-25_10-32-09_391.jpg

This gets stuffed inside a handlebar bag, simple though not entirely elegant battery mounting solution..

The handlebar bag:

2012-08-23_12-06-00_371.jpg

Battery inserted and padded liberally with packaging foam.. NOT polystyrene, but closed bubble high squish resistant stuff.

2012-08-23_13-47-53_264.jpg

Battery Charged up and Ready to go:

2012-08-23_13-58-56_761.jpg

Handlebar bag mounted n ready to ride...

2012-08-23_14-27-59_44.jpg

2012-08-23_14-45-38_705.jpg

Yeah Babay! Ready to roll :) take ot for a test 10 km rid... all good :)

Removed the stickers... changed the cranks (original 43 tooth large chain ring upped to 48)

And Voila... one working legal (in Aus) e-bike:

2012-08-23_17-09-30_172.jpg

2012-08-23_17-09-41_268.jpg

Right... three more builds to go :)

joe

Don't want to rain on your parade, but isn't the Aus legal limit 200w unless it has a speed cut at 25kmh and is only activated by pedalling?

hey mate, I didn't know you could still run 200w without pedelec...

This kit has pedelec, and at 24 volts has a max speed of 25km/hr

What parade :mrgreen: ?

Quoted from build post above... Controller (aluminium box) throttle, hand grips,,, pedelec sensor is the round wheel thingy and the silver washer thingy with sensor wire on the bottom left... The kit doesn't come with this, but I add these as well as additional components as part of "upgrading" the vanilla kits..."

joe

Easiest way to make any bike legal is to get a Speedict. Connect it up and select "Legal Mode 1" or "Legal Mode 2" depending which compliancy you want.
BTW, that's a big heavy motor and controller to limit to 250w. Wouldn't it be better to get a smaller controller and lighter geared motor to have a more manageable more efficient bike, and it should be cheaper?

Heya D8veh

Yah I have been looking at the speedict option, I am trying to keep input costs down though... have also been looking at CycleAnalyst but wont work on these controllers at this stage.

Yeah I know it's a heavy motor... there's a few Positives to that tho...

1.Robustness... in this configuration that motor will not cook!
2.Upgradeability... I am hoping to be able to promote the upgradeability of these kits... (strictly for off-road of course)
3. Robustness... :oops:

I 've run these kits up to 48v on the unmodded controllers (1kw) n as confirmed by Hyena in my original "for sale" thread these motors (and controllers) are eminantly capable of handling more than the AUS legal 250w.

At this stage I still have 25 of these kits... I do want to be able to sell em... by being able to provide these kits in a "aus legal" form, I reckon I can expand my options... dunno, could be up myself...

I know a geared motor weighs prolly half of one of these direct drives, and if I end up concentrating on lighter builds then fer sher even cost wise the smaller motors are prolly the go.

Don't expect to sell many kits through e-s , n I guess was more trying to add to group/community knowledge by showing what I do to install a vanilla chinese kit (at least one in the form of those that I have) into an e-bike...and a few tricks I've picked up along the way...

i mean c'mon, you ever seen anyone syringe off a hand-grip before??? I think that trick is purely mine :)

Plus there is the more serious side, in that by chucking up what I do here on e-s, i am hoping to get the "no bullshit" feedback this place is famous for... (just like you n Sunder have... big Thx :D )

joe

winkinatcha said:
hey mate, I didn't know you could still run 200w without pedelec...

This kit has pedelec, and at 24 volts has a max speed of 25km/hr

What parade :mrgreen: ?

Quoted from build post above... Controller (aluminium box) throttle, hand grips,,, pedelec sensor is the round wheel thingy and the silver washer thingy with sensor wire on the bottom left... The kit doesn't come with this, but I add these as well as additional components as part of "upgrading" the vanilla kits..."

joe

Yeah, you can... Rules run in parallel.

Can I ask what pedelec sensor you used? I like the idea, and I wanted to install a kit on a cheap road bike with no throttle, but the only one I tried was too 'jumpy' definitely not suitable for a kit with no power cut switch on the brakes, though the hidden brake sensor wire released recently can overcome that.

Heya Sunder...

The pedelec/PAS sensor is a hall sensor, fixed via a large washer type arrangement to the bottom bracket, Lefthand Crank, with a six magnet rubber ring that uses friction to stay affixed to the axle in the gap behind the crank.

The hall sesnsor is wired in parallel with the throttle and basically replaces the throttle... or one can have both tho the regs say that one is only supposed to have up to 6km/h ("walking speed") throttle, so in the legal kit version I need an attenuated throttle...

In operation, the PAS has a soft start (like the throttle), but then is basically WOT once rotation begins on the cranks... Personally I don't like the "feel " of it but.... it's compliant....

So yeah... If you have a hall sensor type throttle, with a three wire style connector, using this PAS system to replace the throttle should be a goer...

If you want, chuck me a PM n I'll send you one for nix so ya can see if it works for you.

Joe

Sunder said:
Don't want to rain on your parade, but isn't the Aus legal limit 200w unless it has a speed cut at 25kmh and is only activated by pedalling?
I have seen on a bunch of Australian bike sites now saying the laws have been updated to the Euro standard.
http://cyclingresourcecentre.org.au/news/new_power_assisted_bicycles_set_to_take_off

RE: removing grips...easiest way is poking air nozzle from compressor under end of grip giving it a squirt of air, grip flies off the bar
even if it has a hole in the bar end of the grip, the air blowing loosens the grip so you can slip it off effortlessly...

KiM

winkinatcha said:
Heya Sunder...

The pedelec/PAS sensor is a hall sensor, fixed via a large washer type arrangement to the bottom bracket, Lefthand Crank, with a six magnet rubber ring that uses friction to stay affixed to the axle in the gap behind the crank.

In operation, the PAS has a soft start (like the throttle), but then is basically WOT once rotation begins on the cranks... Personally I don't like the "feel " of it but.... it's compliant....

If you want, chuck me a PM n I'll send you one for nix so ya can see if it works for you.

Thanks for the generous offer, but except for the "soft start" (Which I thought was a function of controller, not sensor?) it sounds very much like my original one. There are torque based ones that I might want to try a little later on, but right now, my bike is in pieces anyway.

Sounds like you've got a good kit together there though. Hope you can encourage more people to take up eBiking through selling them at an attractive price.

TheBeastie said:
Sunder said:
I have seen on a bunch of Australian bike sites now saying the laws have been updated to the Euro standard.
http://cyclingresourcecentre.org.au/news/new_power_assisted_bicycles_set_to_take_off

Yup, but the laws run in parallel and you can't pick and choose between the two standards for the same bike.

If you're more than 200W but less than 250W, you must adhere to ALL EN 15194 standards. You can't say "I'll take 250W continuous specifications from EN 15194, but I'll take the throttle and speed limit specification from the old Australian standards".

This will come across as all strange, as I do know for sure that everyone on here rides to their local laws. But I , ahem, might know someone who rides over the limit, as strange as that sounds. Anyone know what the penalty is so I can let him or her know.

I figure I am , I mean he is, um, several thousand dollars in front to date due to leaving the car at home for most days....

I know the following article relates to the dreaded electric scooters, but the fines, if enforced would basically be the same, and around $1000 I am guessing, assuming you are wearing a bicuycle helmet rather than a motorcycle helmet, and are not licensed to ride motorcycles...

http://heidelberg-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/police-boot-scooters/

Note even in this case, the woman in question ended up not having to pay the fines...

Like many have said though samd, I reckon your "mate" would have to be totes unlucky or acting like a dickhead to be fined, and if said "mate" is riding something that looks like a bicycle rather than one of those scooters, even less likely to be noticed, and less likely that the power output can even be tested ...

Joe

Back