What can be done with this rewound AC motor?

parabellum

1 MW
Was shoveling my crap pile of past projects stuff and found that. It is AC motor rewound to what I called “24V Delta”. Lower turns and higher strand count in proportion to original 380V Delta 5.5Hp 50Hz industrial motor.
Body is made of aluminum but still 25KG
file.php

file.php

I wonder if something in EV direction can be done with this motor?
What can drive it? I know Lukes last bikes curtis (edit.: sevcon) controller is AC and PMAC capable.
What continuous and what peak power can be expected of it?

Thanks for your inputs in advance!

Q.Where did it come from?
A. This is the motor from my first intent of making E scooter in 2003. Those times I was really unprepared mentally, financially and no info support was available (ES or others). I also found printouts, about 100pages of different chips info I was locking at to control the motor, silly me.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 449
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 413
Yes, I would recommend a Curtis.

http://curtisinstruments.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Datasheets.downloaddatasheet&prodid=109

Places like Electric Motorsport or Thunderstruck motors usually carry those.

With a VFD, the frequency can go way up, so if it was 5.5hp @ 50Hz, you could be doing closer to 50hp @ 400Hz.

I think it's a bit overkill for a bike, but might be well suited to a car conversion.

I suppose Luke could put that on a bicycle. :twisted:

Might want to check the steel in the motor, I built a pulse transformer out of transformer steel, it just absorbed high freq. of the pulse, had to use a different steel. This was a torroid ring about 2feet in dia. with a 2inch X 2inch cross section, (more silicon in steel?)

JEB said:
Might want to check the steel in the motor, I built a pulse transformer out of transformer steel, it just absorbed high freq. of the pulse, had to use a different steel. This was a torroid ring about 2feet in dia. with a 2inch X 2inch cross section, (more silicon in steel?)
Up to what frequencies have you been able to get working on your steel core?

Back