What's up with my front motor(8FUN/Bafang copy)?

Valopallo

100 W
Here's a short video of how it behaves. When fully assembled it does not turn on it's own with throttle input but needs a bit of a resistance to get going. After half the throttle or so, the controller shuts down and the motor gets unresponsive. These gears are rather new but driven and also I have checked all the Hall sensors(changed one) and phases to be ok. Where does the rattling sound come from? I see no broken tooth either. I also tried with another healthy controller.

Last edited:
Assuming the gears and/or clutch have been replaced, and are not the originals:

Sounds like the gears rubbing against the clutch face. (or motor bell housing)

Are the gears the same width as the original ones?

If it's not that, then just lashing against each other (can be from poor fit of planet teeth to sun from wrong gear tooth shape, or slightly wrong size of gears or teeth).

Do they sound like that under load, when assembled into the housing?

Does the motor run correctly without the clutch/planets installed?

Regarding the motor behavior under throttle: Is the phase/hall wiring combination identical to when it was working before? If it was never working before, then have you run the auto-learn / auto-identify for the controller, or manually determined that it's using the right phase/hall wiring combination?

It could just be that hte gearing is dragging so hard it's taking a lot of motor power to overcome it, but if it's not that, a wrong phase/hall combo can cause all sort of wierd behavior, including controller overload.

Back